Gophers open as -27.5 point favorites against Colorado

Why not I guess? The Gophers are averaging 50 points a game and the defense has given up just 1 TD at garbage time no less.

I’m assuming the Gophers don’t often appear on the favorites side of 27 or more point spreads vs a power 5 opponent, correct?

Have the Gophers been favorites by 27 points or more over a power 5 opponent and if so, how recently? I am not a betting/Vegas guy.

I know a lot of this is due to the awful state of CU football, but still fairly impressive to me.

As a skeptic earlier this year the Gophers staff would choose to utilize the forward pass effectively and early versus NMSU and questioned that 38.5 line this actually feels too low. Kirk has established he’s going to open a can of whoop ass even against inferior opponents, and we know the opposing OC.

I suppose the 2022 version of what we'd call the first three opponents of the season would be Little Siblings of the Less Fortunate.

I suppose the 2022 version of what we'd call the first three opponents of the season would be Little Siblings of the Less Fortunate.
What happened to the Sisters of the Poor?

Based on what we know....the Gophers should win by at least four or five touchdowns. But.....I could also see Fleck pulling back a little more (similar to the NMSU) as to not embarrass Sanford.

I’m assuming the Gophers don’t often appear on the favorites side of 27 or more point spreads vs a power 5 opponent, correct?

Have the Gophers been favorites by 27 points or more over a power 5 opponent and if so, how recently? I am not a betting/Vegas guy.

I know a lot of this is due to the awful state of CU football, but still fairly impressive to me.

The only recent contender I can think of is Rutgers 2019? #10 Minnesota was a 28.5 point favorite against Rutgers in that game according to this article. The Gophers covered 42-7.

Any others? It's very rare for sure.

Bet you Colorado pulls a curveball and starts Mcowan the freshman. Defense will have to change up a few things as to not give Sanford Jr any inside lingo or edge.

Bet you Colorado pulls a curveball and starts Mcowan the freshman. Defense will have to change up a few things as to not give Sanford Jr any inside lingo or edge.
If I'm Rossi I'm running every ridiculous stunt, twist, and crazy blitz that has all the squiggly lines in the Madden playbook. It's what Bowling Green and Illinois did to Minnesota last year.

Based on what we know....the Gophers should win by at least four or five touchdowns. But.....I could also see Fleck pulling back a little more (similar to the NMSU) as to not embarrass Sanford.
I don't think he cares.

same goals as every non-conf game:

win the game
improve areas that need improvement
eliminate mistakes (fumbles, penalties, etc)
avoid injuries

if they can pull the starters in the 3rd quarter, that's a plus.

11307737.jpeg

I don’t hate Mike Sanford. It’s not his fault he got offered a job he wasn’t qualified for. He tried his best, but his best wasn’t good enough. By all accounts he’s a really good guy, just not a good OC.
Agreed.

Dude must talk a good game to keep getting these jobs and not do gud.

That would be taking the high road, because when Sanford was here, he never ran our offense in a way designed to save Fleck from embarrassment!

I don’t hate Mike Sanford. It’s not his fault he got offered a job he wasn’t qualified for. He tried his best, but his best wasn’t good enough. By all accounts he’s a really good guy, just not a good OC.
I think he's a terrible QB coach, as well. He did play the position, apparently?

If a recruiter reaches out to me and wants to talk about a job and salary that I am not qualified for I tell them the truth. By taking and failing at that job it will hurt my trajectory and the relationships I made within said company.

Thus I would say could be his fault for getting offered -- but it'd be completely his fault for accepting (if I knew he was no good)

I think he has lived off of the 2015 Notre Dame season when he was OC/QB.

Everything he has done since then has taken a dump.

couple outlets have already bid this down to MN -25.5, I'd like to see it come down to around 23 or so and then I'd take the Gophers to cover

If a recruiter reaches out to me and wants to talk about a job and salary that I am not qualified for I tell them the truth. By taking and failing at that job it will hurt my trajectory and the relationships I made within said company.

Thus I would say could be his fault for getting offered -- but it'd be completely his fault for accepting (if I knew he was no good)
Sure, but Sanford's body of work is out there for everyone to see. I don't imagine he's out there trying to deceive people.

Nah, I disagree. When you are offered a two-year, $1.2 million contract, doubling your current salary, you take the job. Especially when you've already been an offensive coordinator at Notre Dame and Boise State, you would feel completely qualified to take the Gopher OC job. Plus, it won't impact your career trajectory at all. As was proven by the fact he was hired by another Power 5 team on a 3-year, $2.1 million dollar deal in his next job.

Top Bottom