Gophers open +6 at UNC

North Carolina also has a tough match here too. They surely want to stop the run and force the young Minnesota QB to prove it -- and the UNC secondary is so-so.
Looking at 24/7 that's what the NC fans are saying...maximum load the box and make AK beat them.

There is a minority that says this plays into Minnesota's hands and will be bad news...

Guess that's why games are actually played...

UNC scored the same amount of points in regulation against App State (24) that Gardner-Webb did.

They allowed 30 first downs and 497 yards to App State, who was led by their backup QB (0* out of HS) making his first start out of JUCO.

I'm still over here scratching my head as to why national folks love UNC so much, same as I was last year when the human polls had them around 15-25 while the computers had them down in the 50s with teams like Syracuse.

Blog insights from someone who follows UNC football:

UNC defensive coordinator talks to media comments:

UNC offense:

UNC's Coach Brown with insights on Minnesota Gophers:

Minnesota's a really physical team. They're huge on both lines of scrimmage. They're playing great defense. PJ Fleck's a friend of mine. He's done a tremendous job. They were 9-4 last year, he's 5-2 in bowl games. They were 5th in the country in 3rd-down defense, so it's going to be a really good challenge for our offense against their defense.... Eastern Michigan had only five minutes with the football in the second half during the game Saturday night and they did not make a first down. I've never seen in modern day football a team not make a first down in a half.

1694514957659.png

And I will add some praise for Coach Mack Brown. As coach of Texas he won the National Championship in 2005, won a particular bowl game multiple times you may have heard of -- the Rose Bowl -- plus other higher-level bowl games. His UNC team this season is ranked top-20 with high expectations, maybe with slight more reputation than actually earned yet this season.

UNC quarterback Drake Maye was ACC Offensive Player of the Year last season. UNC is feeling the sting of top WR transfer Tez Walker ruled ineligible. Last season UNC lost the Holiday Bowl to Oregon 27-28; UNC led at halftime.

For Minnesota Gophers football insights, go to Gopherhole.com ;)

Minnesota has given up more than 30 just once in the past 27 games.

If Minnesota can be efficient in the red zone, it is going to be a close game played in the upper teens or twenties.

I’d lay the 6 on the Tar Heels all day long. Gophers have shown nothing to indicate they can compete in the road against a top 20 team.

I hope they can but it’s doubtful
I'll just echo what others have said - our defense has looked phenomenal.

UNC scored the same amount of points in regulation against App State (24) that Gardner-Webb did.

They allowed 30 first downs and 497 yards to App State, who was led by their backup QB (0* out of HS) making his first start out of JUCO.

I'm still over here scratching my head as to why national folks love UNC so much, same as I was last year when the human polls had them around 15-25 while the computers had them down in the 50s with teams like Syracuse.
People like Mack and that affects their bias

What will UNC prepare for?
The Gopher offense that threw the ball 44 times against Nebby or the one that ran it 56 times vs EMU?

Yep, that and Drake Maye.
it's this. everyone loves the darling QB and they will inflate the team with said QB. That being said, UNC looks like a team that will be in the top 25 all year.

If I’m betting this one I would take the gopher moneyline.

What will UNC prepare for?
The Gopher offense that threw the ball 44 times against Nebby or the one that ran it 56 times vs EMU?
Based on score and how well the offense moves the ball, I think you stop the run and make Athan beat you in the air, but that also doesn't match UNC's defensive strengths so maybe you make the running game prove itself again...idk, tough spot to be in.

This will be a hard fought game, hopefully my finger nails make it through the 4th quarter 😂

Kind of has a feel to me of playing Purdue....Purdue has had good qb play, good skill guys, able to run it sometimes but sometimes lacking o-line...runs a challenging offense....has good athletic and skilled guys on dline but suspect in back 7...good news is PJ has had luck vs Purdue, if he can establish run...

They have a first round NFL quarterback, that is why.

Top Bottom