Gophers/Northwestern Post-Game Rant Thread

Calling for kills head is appallingly stupid.

Mitch has issues but our lines (OL mainly, but also DL) are so dire. I honestly don't think Croft can change things. Should not have burned he shirt.

Our putrid offense: where does the blame fall??

Coaches period! They are doing nothing to build confidence in offense. They don't even look like they're having fun when they make plays.

However, can we blame northwestern's legit defense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are all problems but I think O-line is #1. This team has always been successful when we are able to run the ball. The running game has really struggled. Yes, some of it has been losing Cobb but it has still been bad.

[SUP][/SUP]
Don't you know we had our choice of 8 QBs who are much better than Leidner? You just have to find that JUCO/Transfer tree and pick who ever you want.

Right.... Cause it would have been impossible to find a single Juco better than what we have on our roster. Our QB situation is so good, that an upgrade in talent would be hard to find.

And even if there was someone better, why would they want to come here where they would clearly sit behind all the QB talent we had coming back.

You guys are brilliant!

Not sure why blame needs to be assigned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be great, if the juco transfer qb could also play RG, LG, RT, LT (bobek only one playing good)

All of the above is a viable option

They are all inadequate play, but for the sake of picking one, it starts at the top. In the end this is Kill's team. What happens under his watch, is on him. In no means do I think Kill should be on the hot seat, but some changes need to happen amongst the coaching staff. This is embarrassing, and the program is trending downhill. Something needs to happen now. The line can't block, the coaches can't come up with the right play calls, the QB can't throw an accurate pass to save his life, and ball security is an issue.

Year 5 and being at 4 of the 5 games in person our lines (both sides) are just not good enough. Leidner is a below average qb but he really doesn't have a chance back there. That is the most concerning thing to me is both lines are below average in the big ten. With both sides struggling this much some is coaching but I think like no other position is where the strength coaches ability needs to be questioned.

It's Coach Kill.

Any blind man can see that Leidner just isn't very accurate. Blame the O-Line all you want. Blame the run game all you want. But when you are consistently throwing ten feet above a receiver's head, you shouldn't be the Starting QB. Leidner is Leidner... Coach Kill doesn't seem to see what most of us and the media see... that it starts with the QB. Even in Kill's post game interview, he's already putting the blame on the O-Line... Guess he hasn't seen Leidner sail his passes over his receiver's heads yet.

All I know is the easiest to change is the starting QB. Can't go get a free agent o lineman. Can't fire anybody mid-season (unless the offense somehow gets worse. Not sure if that's possible).

Limegrover
Offensive Line
Leidner
Kill

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-college-footballs-graduate-transfer-qbs-2015

I remember each and everyone of these turned us down because they looked at what we had coming back and said "no way I'm competing with that".

Others said, "even if I could win the job, why would I want to play in the big ten when I could be at La Tech or SDSU".

Most importantly, none of it matters because not a single one of these guys would be an improvement over what we have.

1. Limegrover.
2. Kill
3. QB

We've had good offensive lines. same result.

Add WR's to the list. Zero ability to create separation in the predictable, pedestrian routes that they're continually asked to run run.

It's Coach Kill.

Any blind man can see that Leidner just isn't very accurate. Blame the O-Line all you want. Blame the run game all you want. But when you are consistently throwing ten feet above a receiver's head, you shouldn't be the Starting QB. Leidner is Leidner... Coach Kill doesn't seem to see what most of us and the media see... that it starts with the QB. Even in Kill's post game interview, he's already putting the blame on the O-Line... Guess he hasn't seen Leidner sail his passes over his receiver's heads yet.

Mitch was not recruited to win games with his arm. He was recruited to hand the ball off, keep it himself on a run, and occasionally throw to an open WR or TE on PA. It's not his fault the current roster cannot execute the scheme the coaches have put in place. Not saying he should still be playing, just saying he has been forced to be a kind of QB that he was never intended to be

[SUP][/SUP]

Right.... Cause it would have been impossible to find a single Juco better than what we have on our roster. Our QB situation is so good, that an upgrade in talent would be hard to find.

And even if there was someone better, why would they want to come here where they would clearly sit behind all the QB talent we had coming back.

You guys are brilliant!

Do you have someone in mind then? My point is there isn't a ton of good Juco QB's out there. There were a total of five QB's in the last two years rated in the Rivals Top 100 Juco players. So that means there was a total of 5 out of 200.

It's Coach Kill.

Spot on...QB has been a problem for years.

Because why would a QB want to play here? The play calling is awful, no QB is going to want to transfer to such a situation. Unless they LOVE the 1 yard passes, there is literally nothing to sell to a transfer qb besides playing time, which if any other school is interested in a juco/transfer it would mean they have playing time themselves.

So ever since Limey has been here we have been complaining about only going deep and never having any bubble screens....now we want less of that?

Add WR's to the list. Zero ability to create separation in the predictable, pedestrian routes that they're continually asked to run run.

That begs the question. If they are forced to run the same routes over and over again, who is to blame really?

Don't you know we had our choice of 8 QBs who are much better than Leidner? You just have to find that JUCO/Transfer tree and pick who ever you want.

The QB talent that Kill has brought in is awful, and I have a sense it is because Jerry felt he could rely on Mitch being the starter for 4 years. Its not just about not getting a transfer QB on the roster, its about not having a backup plan to Mitch. Chris Streveler had been the backup QB last season, and going into this season. Now, Mitch's competition a true freshman who wasnt even some prized recruit, just some middling prospect who's best offer was Minnesota. Every game this season, you get the sense that all the Gopher's opponents QBs could run this team just as well as Mitch (okay, maybe not Reardon from Kent...but its probably close), so when you watch CSU and and Ohio games, you are left wondering why the Gophers couldnt at least find a Derrius Vick or Coleman Key type QB.

Any of the above. No wrong or right answer.

The QB talent that Kill has brought in is awful, and I have a sense it is because Jerry felt he could rely on Mitch being the starter for 4 years. Its not just about not getting a transfer QB on the roster, its about not having a backup plan to Mitch. Chris Streveler had been the backup QB last season, and going into this season. Now, Mitch's competition a true freshman who wasnt even some prized recruit, just some middling prospect who's best offer was Minnesota. Every game this season, you get the sense that all the Gopher's opponents QBs could run this team just as well as Mitch (okay, maybe not Reardon from Kent...but its probably close), so when you watch CSU and and Ohio games, you are left wondering why the Gophers couldnt at least find a Derrius Vick or Coleman Key type QB.

I agree with that, it is frustrating that we don't have better options at QB at this point. But neither one of those guys was a JUCO. My whole point is that there aren't a ton of good (or even average) JUCO options out there every year. Some act like they are everywhere. I'm way more frustrated that we haven't been able to recruit better QBs out of High School.

Mitch was not recruited to win games with his arm. He was recruited to hand the ball off, keep it himself on a run, and occasionally throw to an open WR or TE on PA. It's not his fault the current roster cannot execute the scheme the coaches have put in place. Not saying he should still be playing, just saying he has been forced to be a kind of QB that he was never intended to be

He can't complete throws at anything near an acceptable level, and he's running less and less. He's been given a modest job, and can't even pull it off.

My order of blame:
1. Leidner
2. O-Line
3. Coaches (mainly Limegrover)

4. WR's--they're not making plays--but for every pass they drop, two sail over their head.

The only guys that come out scot-free are the RB's. They look good enough, even while running into B1G 9 man fronts. Brooks is very legit.

Oh I agree, never said he was meant to do that either. That's why I said "It's Coach Kill."

No it's not. FLA is correct. Croft performed well and it's obvious he throws the ball with sig more touch than Leidner.

Touch that could have picked three times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. Leidner, he's still having trouble with even the most basic throws, teams are daring him to throw too.
2. Limegrover, his conservative play calling is incredibly predictable and easy to defense.
3. Kill, his inability to bring in/develop a quality QB to this point is coming back to haunt him.
4. OL, all of the above aren't helping the OL, but the depth there is also not where it needs to be either

Top Bottom