Gophers in Marfo's final 5

I like our chances with the other schools in the top 5.

Penn State, Minnesota, Texas A&M and St. John’s and VCU

From a low-major Eastern conference. 6-8 forward. Decent to good player in that small conference.

Also the fact, as mentioned already, that he originally signed to GW in the A10, and transferred out to get more playing time. Redshirted in 2017-18 after the transfer. Played at Q in 2018-19 and 2019-20.

= Demir part II

How can you possibly conclude that he was a "decent to good player in that small conference" when he was all-conference and led the nation in rebounding? He was clearly one of the best players in the MAAC.

From a low-major Eastern conference. 6-8 forward. Decent to good player in that small conference.

Also the fact, as mentioned already, that he originally signed to GW in the A10, and transferred out to get more playing time. Redshirted in 2017-18 after the transfer. Played at Q in 2018-19 and 2019-20.

= Demir part II

If Demir played in the MAAC, do you think he would have led the nation in rebounding? Or any of our other players not named Oturu? I'd confidently say no.

As nice as it would be to get a solid player like Marfo, it won't make up for the loss of Oturu. We will need positive minutes by committee and our perimeter shooting will have to improve.

Omersa's rebounds per 40 minute rate is 8.6, while Marfo's was 19.0. Oturu's was 13.0 and Demir was at 8.0 (dropped from 8.5 at Drexel).

I'm incredibly impressed by his free throw rate. He gets to the line frequently (8.4/40 mins) but sinks them at a reasonable rate (71%) and stays out of foul trouble.

I've seen posts on some forums saying he is closer to 6'7". I'm mostly curious if he can handle the B10 posts, and what kind of offensive game/moves he has.
So you’re saying he’s the next coming of Dennis Rodman? You think he would have more rebounds than Oturu, next season?

How can you possibly conclude that he was a "decent to good player in that small conference" when he was all-conference and led the nation in rebounding? He was clearly one of the best players in the MAAC.

It's easy to conclude certain things when you only decide to look through the lens you want. Don't ya know, because things were a certain way with one player, they have to play out the exact same with a completely different player/scenario/roster because Pitino???

Come on. Anybody with a right mind can see we are in Groundhog's Day with our coach and there simply are no variables or alternate outcomes. ??

Agreed, I don't think so either. Stepping up from the CAA or the MAAC to the Big Ten is no joke.

If he comes here and can give us 8 PPG/8 RPG and about 24 minutes per game I will be happy with that. Sam Freeman and Eric Curry will also have a chance to step up.

If he comes here and can give us 8 PPG/8 RPG and about 24 minutes per game I will be happy with that. Sam Freeman and Eric Curry will also have a chance to step up.
That would be awesome. Hoping Curry, with dropping weight, can come back strong.

Looks like Built was right. Buzz has a penchant for zee balls

We will need a front court to compete in the big 10, right?

Wonder how much some A&M oilman paid his family for this decision?

Not disappointed we didn't get him. Third school and 23. Look elsewhere.

Just another disappointing decision by someone the GH seemed to want. Expect to be disappointed more often GH.

Agree but the guy can recruit and can flat out coach.

He's top shelf definitely.

I couldn't resist a big, excuse me, bad pun?.

I'd love to get someone with his type of energy and abilities. Seems to me that we could be a peerennial Top25 program - it's just waiting to happen

Last edited:

Not a lot of bigs available on the market so from that perspective he's another miss for Minnesota. He's a one year starter for a middle of the pack MAAC team so it's fair to wonder how much he would have really helped anyway. The bigger concern is not landing any of the 3 bigs from Minnesota in the 2020 class and Omersa not developing at all. If the Gophers had Dawson Garcia coming in and Omersa was someone they could count on, they wouldn't be in this spot to badly need a Kevin Marfo.

Top Bottom