Gophers in Marfo's final 5

Can anyone remind me what his recruiting situation was when we looked at him before? B1G recruit to Q seems like a bit of a drop-off. Were we super high on him or looking at him as more of a project?
Regardless, looks like he could help a lot now.

He would be a good combo with Ihnen in our front court. Need some toughness.

Can anyone remind me what his recruiting situation was when we looked at him before? B1G recruit to Q seems like a bit of a drop-off. Were we super high on him or looking at him as more of a project?
Regardless, looks like he could help a lot now.
Rivals shows he had offers from Boston College, Depaul, Kansas St, Pitt, Xavier and us coming out of hs. Not real sure why or how he ended up at a smaller school but he seems like a great fit for us now.

Reactions: Go4

Rivals shows he had offers from Boston College, Depaul, Kansas St, Pitt, Xavier and us coming out of hs. Not real sure why or how he ended up at a smaller school but he seems like a great fit for us now.

Maybe it was that old fashioned concept of immediate playing time. Smaller program, start right away. Makes perfect sense to me.

Maybe it was that old fashioned concept of immediate playing time. Smaller program, start right away. Makes perfect sense to me.
I hope he is still thinking that way because we are going to be welcoming a glass eater like Marfo with open arms and 25-30 minutes

He committed to George Washington and played his freshman year there, and transferred to Quinnipiac after an underwhelming freshman season. He sat a year, too, so he is pretty old. He turns 23 in May.

It doesn't seem like he is a major offensive threat, averaging only 10 ppg and shooting only 48.4% from the floor as a big man in a small conference is a bit concerning to me.

What I do like is that he shot 71% from the FT line and he got there an impressive amount (8.4 attempts per 40 minutes, better than Oturu). He also fouls at a low rate, 3.7 per 40 minutes. It also seems like he is a decent passer for a big man, averaging 2 assists per game (and he had 5 each in their last two games of the season).

There aren't many games where Quinnipiac played quality competition last year. Best I can find is Miami Hurricanes (15-16, #104 KenPom), BGSU (21-10 in the MAC, #168 KenPom), and Siena (20-10 in MAAC, #145 KenPom). He seemed to hold up fine in those games. That is always the concern, if a guy can translate his success. Who knows.

Does he have some lateral foot speed, can he bang, and can he board? If its all 3, I'll be ecstatic as we're sorely going to need that with what the roster looks like right now (also helps he's 23 and should have a little more of his "man" body to compete in the B10)

Seems like an East Coast kid, be surprised if St Johns doesn't land him.

From a low-major Eastern conference. 6-8 forward. Decent to good player in that small conference.

Also the fact, as mentioned already, that he originally signed to GW in the A10, and transferred out to get more playing time. Redshirted in 2017-18 after the transfer. Played at Q in 2018-19 and 2019-20.

= Demir part II

Demir part II

He led the NCAA in rebounding, so I don’t see any valid comparison to Demir.
Sure he did, in a low-major Eastern conference. The schools in that conference, are like St Thomas (here in St Paul), they just play DI basketball for whatever reason rather than DIII.

The CAA (where Demir was from), isn't a mid-major, but it was a solid step above the MAAC, I would guess.

That's my wild guess. Happy to be proven wrong, and if so, nothing lost.

Sure he did, in a low-major Eastern conference. The schools in that conference, are like St Thomas (here in St Paul), they just play DI basketball for whatever reason rather than DIII.

The CAA (where Demir was from), isn't a mid-major, but it was a solid step above the MAAC, I would guess.

If you look at his rebound rate over his two seasons at Quinnipiac, vs top 100 teams, it is a few percentage points lower than his total rebound rate but still top 10 in the country. Marfo has about 15-20 lbs of muscle on Demir and is more athletic. Admittedly, he isn't the most skilled offensive player, but he'll get you plenty of offensive rebounds and he gets to the line at a good clip.

I did a little digging to see if I could find any impact transfers from the MAAC to P5.
Kassius Robertson transferred from Canisius to Missouri and his play pretty much stayed the same.

SeasonSchoolConfGGSMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS SOS
2016-17CanisiusMAAC343333.45.211.7.4472.44.7.5032.97.0.4102.83.4.8030.92.33.12.40.90.11.61.516.1-3.50
2017-18MissouriSEC333336.04.811.3.4221.64.0.4053.27.4.4323.54.4.7950.32.73.02.31.00.12.31.716.39.19

Nick Rutherford transferred from Monmouth to St. Johns. He was a marginal player and stayed marginal.
SeasonSchoolConfGGSMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS SOS
2018-19MonmouthMAAC351524.71.84.7.3781.53.6.4210.31.1.2371.51.9.7790.54.14.62.31.70.42.02.05.3-4.83
2019-20St. John's (NY)Big East322322.62.05.4.3661.74.2.4000.31.2.2431.31.8.7070.32.12.43.11.80.31.62.65.57.68
Prince Oduro transferred from Siena after a promising freshman year (and sat out a season) then barely saw the floor for Mississippi State.
2017-18SienaMAAC312725.63.98.1.4843.98.1.4840.00.01.34.0.3331.53.55.10.70.20.72.13.29.1-2.99
2019-20Mississippi StateSEC2104.00.30.6.5380.30.6.5380.00.00.50.8.6880.30.60.90.00.00.10.30.91.26.96

Maybe there are more, but that's all I could find. The few games against decent competition Marfo seemed to hold his own (and his rebounding totals were still great). I couldn't find much footage besides highlights from a couple games this season. Basically, it is a crapshoot to know whether a guy like this can make the transition. I think I would prefer Markusson at this point but would still be happy with Marfo if we can get him.

So then, my final question: don't we already have a "high-energy defensive/rebounding emphasis" player, in Omersa?

Or is Marfo significantly better than Omersa, and in what aspects?

If you look at his rebound rate over his two seasons at Quinnipiac, vs top 100 teams, it is a few percentage points lower than his total rebound rate but still top 10 in the country. Marfo has about 15-20 lbs of muscle on Demir and is more athletic. Admittedly, he isn't the most skilled offensive player, but he'll get you plenty of offensive rebounds and he gets to the line at a good clip.

This guy has a B1G body. Demir did not.

Despite my questioning and doubts, obviously if we offered him, then the staff wants him and thinks he would add value next season.

But they thought that about Demir ....

So then, my final question: don't we already have a "high-energy defensive/rebounding emphasis" player, in Omersa?

Or is Marfo significantly better than Omersa, and in what aspects?

Marfo appears to have a body that can handle the rough and tumble of the B1G more than Jarvis. I think he shoots free throws a lot better too.

Marfo appears to have a body that can handle the rough and tumble of the B1G more than Jarvis. I think he shoots free throws a lot better too.
Omersa's rebounds per 40 minute rate is 8.6, while Marfo's was 19.0. Oturu's was 13.0 and Demir was at 8.0 (dropped from 8.5 at Drexel).

I'm incredibly impressed by his free throw rate. He gets to the line frequently (8.4/40 mins) but sinks them at a reasonable rate (71%) and stays out of foul trouble.

I've seen posts on some forums saying he is closer to 6'7". I'm mostly curious if he can handle the B10 posts, and what kind of offensive game/moves he has.

Omersa's rebounds per 40 minute rate is 8.6, while Marfo's was 19.0. Oturu's was 13.0 and Demir was at 8.0 (dropped from 8.5 at Drexel).

I'm incredibly impressed by his free throw rate. He gets to the line frequently (8.4/40 mins) but sinks them at a reasonable rate (71%) and stays out of foul trouble.

I've seen posts on some forums saying he is closer to 6'7". I'm mostly curious if he can handle the B10 posts, and what kind of offensive game/moves he has.
Murphy gobbled a lot of boards in the BigTen at 6-7. Against high major opponents Marfo was still in double figures rebounding

Murphy gobbled a lot of boards in the BigTen at 6-7. Against high major opponents Marfo was still in double figures rebounding
Yeah I'm saying I am not worried about his rebounding, and that Omersa has not been a prolific rebounder for us.

I am wondering if he can guard bigs in the B10 as our center.

From what I have watched I don’t think Omersa has very good hands. Seems like he tips balls but can’t corral them. Murphy had great hands which allowed for a huge rebound radius.

Top Bottom