Gophers Football needs major help

Well, like every other year of my not particularly young life - the Gophers have failed to win a conference championship- even a division championship (no - the co division champ but you don’t go to Indy year does not count). On top of that - the current outlook looks worse. So yeah, I’m crying. Again. But I’m addicted until I complete a 12 step addiction program. Many days I wish I would be rid this misery. Alas.

Good news! You've come to the right place for crying and being miserable.

I try to inject a little optimism, but people just ain't havin' it.

Experienced OC is not present. Why did they place the fortunes of this season with an inexperienced OC? No QB whisperer. Talent is not as good and deep as PJ Fleck predicted.

The Gophers are clipped at the knees with NIL bidding.

It appears that Year Zero is here again.
I’ll take another year zero if it’s followed a couple years later with a season like 2019. I’d much prefer that type of up and down over consistent 6-8 win years with no break throughs.

Fleck is to be congratulated.

He has brought this program to the point where certain people are going off the rails because we finished 9-4, 9-4, 5-7 in the last three seasons.

Talk about raising expectations.
agree. this is a young team, many frosh and sophs starting, with a new QB and experienced OC next season will be much better. Also next season will have fewer 'tough' opponents.

You clearly lack an understanding in a little thing called trajectory. It's cool you're very proud of seasons that no longer matter in the present. This team is headed for a steep drop off. This year was a giant flashing red flag with the lack of a competent quarterback any where on the roster. You know, that thing Kill was raked over the coals for daily here. The defense fell off a cliff. Literally. The lack of talent and speed was painful to watch. Blown assignments in critical situations. Non existent pass rush. Now add in 4 top ranked programs and the west no longer a thing, and well, it should be clear which direction we are headed.

Only someone with their head buried in the sand would be okay with the shit show we just witnessed. I could care less about 2019 or 21-22 when we are clearly falling behind the pack again. We currently have no QB. One WR. A RB who could probably almost pick his destination right now if he wants. Zero TEs. Several O lineman that I like alot, so that is a strength. And defensively, who? Lindenberg? He is more Buxton than Ripken. Just a piece of glass. Joyner? Smith? Eastern? Who gets you excited? Who sticks around? I don't know how anybody who has been paying attention isn't extremely bothered by what we've witnessed this year. It's not good. I won't even get into the coaching staff. Other than Rossi, nobody is banging down the door to hire anyone from that staff. I don't know, I'd love to be convinced that this was just a hiccup.
Say no to drugs.

Why? I'm less bothered by a bad season than people who point out 2019 like
it somehow matters today?! And again, only a complete moron would look at this current roster(no QB) and the offensive philosophy and see any sign of hope for next year. I will point out to you again, the most important position on the football field is QB, and we don't have one with the season opener what, 9 1/2 months away? This is year 7 for Fleck, and he has no quarterback. A Big Ten school!!! How. That is a failure that I can't even put into words.

It’s going to be ok. I promise. The sun will rise. Flowers will bloom. The state fair will be here before we know it.

You clearly lack an understanding in a little thing called trajectory. It's cool you're very proud of seasons that no longer matter in the present. This team is headed for a steep drop off. This year was a giant flashing red flag with the lack of a competent quarterback any where on the roster. You know, that thing Kill was raked over the coals for daily here. The defense fell off a cliff. Literally. The lack of talent and speed was painful to watch. Blown assignments in critical situations. Non existent pass rush. Now add in 4 top ranked programs and the west no longer a thing, and well, it should be clear which direction we are headed.

Only someone with their head buried in the sand would be okay with the shit show we just witnessed. I could care less about 2019 or 21-22 when we are clearly falling behind the pack again. We currently have no QB. One WR. A RB who could probably almost pick his destination right now if he wants. Zero TEs. Several O lineman that I like alot, so that is a strength. And defensively, who? Lindenberg? He is more Buxton than Ripken. Just a piece of glass. Joyner? Smith? Eastern? Who gets you excited? Who sticks around? I don't know how anybody who has been paying attention isn't extremely bothered by what we've witnessed this year. It's not good. I won't even get into the coaching staff. Other than Rossi, nobody is banging down the door to hire anyone from that staff. I don't know, I'd love to be convinced that this was just a hiccup.
All true, but what makes it more than a hiccup is the portal and NIL. They bode ill for future years, especially at a time when the 4 teams from the Pac-12 coming in. Hard to be an optimist.

agree. this is a young team, many frosh and sophs starting, with a new QB and experienced OC next season will be much better. Also next season will have fewer 'tough' opponents.
Could you expand on the fewer tough opponents?

Has anybody ever done an actual count on the average number of posts on Gopher Hole following a loss vs. number of posts following a win?
Has anyone done an actual post count on you when they win versus when they lose........You couldn't be found with a search light at times. LMAO

Has anybody ever done an actual count on the average number of posts on Gopher Hole following a loss vs. number of posts following a win?
If the Gophers win, I am usually having too much fun to want to look at a message board on my phone. It's after a loss or when I'm bored during the week that I log in.

I'm definitely more likely to post in game when it's going bad. That's when I'm looking for something to look at besides the game. If the game is going well (especially a home game because I'm there live), the last thing I want to do is look away from the game to type on my phone.

Has anyone done an actual post count on you when they win versus when they lose........You couldn't be found with a search light at times. LMAO

No need for me to post after a loss. The "sky is falling" folks always have it covered, and then some.

Figured it would be next to impossible to try and count all the threads after a loss compared to a win, but I did go back and count the replies to the post game threads posted by the staff.

Wins:
Nebraska 148
Eastern Michigan 50
Louisiana 95
Iowa 72
Michigan St 149

Losses:
North Carolina 211
Northwestern 180
Michigan 114
Illinois 113
Purdue 98
Ohio St 85
Wisconsin 85
While this is interesting. It is truly impacted by whether or not I watched the game by myself or if I am at a social event

Wierd sports fans would want to discuss their team after seeing them the first couple times (Neb, UNC) or after all-timer meltdown losses or after a very bad season.

This is entertainment, guys. Kind of like politics, the extremists on both sides make it interesting in terms of seeing the spectrum of human psychology but when it starts getting into personal insults it’s just silly and probably time to go for a long walk. This team was bad, bad, bad. Once you reach the acceptance stage it gets better. PJ has an opportunity to right the ship and clearly that process has already started. There is no earthly way of knowing where we’re going, unfortunately.

Why? I'm less bothered by a bad season than people who point out 2019 like
it somehow matters today?! And again, only a complete moron would look at this current roster(no QB) and the offensive philosophy and see any sign of hope for next year. I will point out to you again, the most important position on the football field is QB, and we don't have one with the season opener what, 9 1/2 months away? This is year 7 for Fleck, and he has no quarterback. A Big Ten school!!! How. That is a failure that I can't even put into
Seems like you haven’t payed much attention to college football this season. Iowa will be in the Big 10 championship with QB1 and QB2 this season as portal adds (year 25 or so for Ferentz btw). PAC 12 championship last night had both starting QBs as transfer adds. I could go on with many more examples. College football, especially at the QB position has changed dramatically.

I think this post is late to the table. The poster must be a new fan, gopher football has needed major help since 1967. It is just a game, calm down. The drama surrounding this transfer portal nonsense is actually more entertaining than the season itself.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has brought this program to the point where certain people are going off the rails because we finished 9-4, 9-4, 5-7 in the last three seasons.

It's not the 5-7. It's how we played and how we coached. There was no good reason to be 5-7 this year.

No. Too busy keeping track of TOP and the amount of air in the ball.

I’ll take another year zero if it’s followed a couple years later with a season like 2019. I’d much prefer that type of up and down over consistent 6-8 win years with no break throughs.
It is time to dust off PJ Fleck's Zig-Zag Chart. We are in a Zig year.

PJ Fleck and the Gophers will make changes and will adjust. He took the program a long way and will continue to do so. We must be patient.

And then 3 wins next year? What will the "go off " be?

Top Bottom