Gophers Football needs major help

hungan1

Reaction score
Experienced OC is not present. Why did they place the fortunes of this season with an inexperienced OC? No QB whisperer. Talent is not as good and deep as PJ Fleck predicted.

The Gophers are clipped at the knees with NIL bidding.

It appears that Year Zero is here again.

Is this a duplication of the foundations crumbling crying thread?

Actually that's a good idea, there should be a separate "crying room" thread for this stuff.

God, I love this post!

A "crying room" is a great idea. It's too bad, though, because the "crying room" already exists. It's called "KFAN".

Fleck is to be congratulated.

He has brought this program to the point where certain people are going off the rails because we finished 9-4, 9-4, 5-7 in the last three seasons.

Talk about raising expectations.

in today's media and social media landscape, trajectory matters more than long-term results. people perceive a program that is heading in the wrong direction.

to be sure, that may be an incorrect perception, but right now, that is the perception and it's getting all the attention.

as far as the OC, Fleck chose Harbaugh for the position. Is that because Fleck could not find a "better" candidate who wanted the job? Is that because Fleck wanted an OC who would accept Fleck's thumb on the scale? Is it a salary issue?

Or did Fleck truly believe that Harbaugh was the best person for the job? I don't know. I don't think the fans know. and if any of them do know, they aren't talking.

right now, Gopher football has become a Rorschach test. Murray may see one thing - I may see something different. Walter Kovacs sees something terrible.

in today's media and social media landscape, trajectory matters more than long-term results. people perceive a program that is heading in the wrong direction.

to be sure, that may be an incorrect perception, but right now, that is the perception and it's getting all the attention.

People have their own perceptions. Those perceptions may or may not be an accurate reflection of the reality of a given situation. Is that the gist of what you're saying?

Seems kind of obvious, but maybe it's worth stating.

People have their own perceptions. Those perceptions may or may not be an accurate reflection of the reality of a given situation. Is that the gist of what you're saying?

yeah. if the Gophers go 8-4 next season, the perception changes in one direction. if the Gophers go 4-8, the perception changes in a different direction.

but the point of the Rorschach test is that people can look at the same ink blot and see many different things - and what they see reveals something about their own nature. an optimistic person will see an positive image. a pessimistic person will see a negative image. (plus I snuck in a "Watchman" reference...)

yeah. if the Gophers go 8-4 next season, the perception changes in one direction. if the Gophers go 4-8, the perception changes in a different direction.

but the point of the Rorschach test is that people can look at the same ink blot and see many different things - and what they see reveals something about their own nature. an optimistic person will see an positive image. a pessimistic person will see a negative image. (plus I snuck in a "Watchman" reference...)

True, very true.

The offense this last year is not going to entice any kid to come and play here. It's crazy how boring this team has become. Instead of carrying ANY momentum from the 2019 breakout, here we are.

Fleck should have gone after Minnesota native Andy Kotelnicki. His offense recruits kids by itself.

Has anybody ever done an actual count on the average number of posts on Gopher Hole following a loss vs. number of posts following a win?
Figured it would be next to impossible to try and count all the threads after a loss compared to a win, but I did go back and count the replies to the post game threads posted by the staff.

Wins:
Nebraska 148
Eastern Michigan 50
Louisiana 95
Iowa 72
Michigan St 149

Losses:
North Carolina 211
Northwestern 180
Michigan 114
Illinois 113
Purdue 98
Ohio St 85
Wisconsin 85

The offense this last year is not going to entice any kid to come and play here. It's crazy how boring this team has become. Instead of carrying ANY momentum from the 2019 breakout, here we are.

So... no QBs will come here?

Wow. That sounds grim.

Has anybody ever done an actual count on the average number of posts on Gopher Hole following a loss vs. number of posts following a win?
I’m gonna guess that if you haven’t, no one has. Do you find it ironic that you spend all your time in here complaining about others complaining? I do.

Not sure on numbers but, this board isn’t happy unless it is miserable. My quote in Bleed’s “The Headline Will Read . . . “ post b/4 the last game:

“Gopher Holers, TC Press, Rejoice In Goldy’s 20-16 L To Bucky”

I’m gonna guess that if you haven’t, no one has. Do you find it ironic that you spend all your time in here complaining about others complaining? I do.

Then I guess the fact that you bother to comment on my comments is... what, doubly ironic?

If my posts make you uncomfortable, smash that ignore button. Crisis averted.

Meanwhile, I see Gopher Hole as a place to engage in the sharing of opinions. If I happen disagree with someone else's opinion, I state my case. If they disagree with me, they are free to do the same.

You seem to be troubled by this, for some reason. Oh, well.

Then I guess the fact that you bother to comment on my comments is... what, doubly ironic?

If my posts make you uncomfortable, smash that ignore button. Crisis averted.

Meanwhile, I see Gopher Hole as a place to engage in the sharing of opinions. If I happen disagree with someone else's opinion, I state my case. If they disagree with me, they are free to do the same.

You seem to be troubled by this, for some reason. Oh, well.
Troubled? LOL. I was pointing out how you spend your time doing what you seem to hate. It doesn’t trouble me, it amuses me. No surprise that the irony was lost on you.

Troubled? LOL. I was pointing out how you spend your time doing what you seem to hate. It doesn’t trouble me, it amuses me. No surprise that the irony was lost on you.

Yes. You spent some of your time pointing out the irony of me spending some of my time posting, disagreeing and debating.

Which is not ironic at all.

Yes. You spent some of your time pointing out the irony of me spending some of my time posting, disagreeing and debating.
Not what I said, and not accurate. As I said, I’m not surprised you missed it. 🙄

Fleck is to be congratulated.

He has brought this program to the point where certain people are going off the rails because we finished 9-4, 9-4, 5-7 in the last three seasons.

Talk about raising expectations.
You clearly lack an understanding in a little thing called trajectory. It's cool you're very proud of seasons that no longer matter in the present. This team is headed for a steep drop off. This year was a giant flashing red flag with the lack of a competent quarterback any where on the roster. You know, that thing Kill was raked over the coals for daily here. The defense fell off a cliff. Literally. The lack of talent and speed was painful to watch. Blown assignments in critical situations. Non existent pass rush. Now add in 4 top ranked programs and the west no longer a thing, and well, it should be clear which direction we are headed.

Only someone with their head buried in the sand would be okay with the shit show we just witnessed. I could care less about 2019 or 21-22 when we are clearly falling behind the pack again. We currently have no QB. One WR. A RB who could probably almost pick his destination right now if he wants. Zero TEs. Several O lineman that I like alot, so that is a strength. And defensively, who? Lindenberg? He is more Buxton than Ripken. Just a piece of glass. Joyner? Smith? Eastern? Who gets you excited? Who sticks around? I don't know how anybody who has been paying attention isn't extremely bothered by what we've witnessed this year. It's not good. I won't even get into the coaching staff. Other than Rossi, nobody is banging down the door to hire anyone from that staff. I don't know, I'd love to be convinced that this was just a hiccup.

You clearly lack an understanding in a little thing called trajectory. It's cool you're very proud of seasons that no longer matter in the present. This team is headed for a steep drop off. This year was a giant flashing red flag with the lack of a competent quarterback any where on the roster. You know, that thing Kill was raked over the coals for daily here. The defense fell off a cliff. Literally. The lack of talent and speed was painful to watch. Blown assignments in critical situations. Non existent pass rush. Now add in 4 top ranked programs and the west no longer a thing, and well, it should be clear which direction we are headed.

Only someone with their head buried in the sand would be okay with the shit show we just witnessed. I could care less about 2019 or 21-22 when we are clearly falling behind the pack again. We currently have no QB. One WR. A RB who could probably almost pick his destination right now if he wants. Zero TEs. Several O lineman that I like alot, so that is a strength. And defensively, who? Lindenberg? He is more Buxton than Ripken. Just a piece of glass. Joyner? Smith? Eastern? Who gets you excited? Who sticks around? I don't know how anybody who has been paying attention isn't extremely bothered by what we've witnessed this year. It's not good. I won't even get into the coaching staff. Other than Rossi, nobody is banging down the door to hire anyone from that staff. I don't know, I'd love to be convinced that this was just a hiccup.

Take a deep breath, man.

Take a deep breath, man.
Why? I'm less bothered by a bad season than people who point out 2019 like
it somehow matters today?! And again, only a complete moron would look at this current roster(no QB) and the offensive philosophy and see any sign of hope for next year. I will point out to you again, the most important position on the football field is QB, and we don't have one with the season opener what, 9 1/2 months away? This is year 7 for Fleck, and he has no quarterback. A Big Ten school!!! How. That is a failure that I can't even put into words.

Fleck should have gone after Minnesota native Andy Kotelnicki. His offense recruits kids by itself.
If I was a good QB, I would be very tempted to come here. The recruiting message is:

1) You basically get the starting job in a Big Ten program just handed to you
2) There is no incumbent to beat out, only a freshman or two who are not ready yet. There will be no locker room angst for you taking someone's job.
3) We have a couple of very good running backs and we have some talent to throw to. We're likely bringing more in.
4) With our schedule next year, you are going to be playing many of the very best teams in the land. Perfect way to prep you for the NFL.
5) We ran this "boring offense" last year because we did not have the QB to run anything more interesting. We want to throw about half the time. We just need you.
6) Fans will adore you here if you are successful.

Last edited:

You left
If I was a good QB, I would be very tempted to come here. The recruiting message is:

1) You basically get the starting job in a Big Ten program just handed to you
2) There is no incumbent to beat out, only a freshman or two who are not ready yet. There will be no locker room angst for you taking someone's job.
3) We have a couple of very good running backs and we have some talent to throw to. We're likely bringing more in.
4) With our schedule next year, you are going to be playing many of the very best teams in the land. Perfect way to prep you for the NFL.
5) We ran this "boring offense" last year because we did not have the QB to run it. We want to throw about half the time. We just need you.
6) Fans will adore you here if you are successful.
You left out the most important part, the $$$$$$$! Where is that coming from again?

You should read your own posts...

Well, like every other year of my not particularly young life - the Gophers have failed to win a conference championship- even a division championship (no - the co division champ but you don’t go to Indy year does not count). On top of that - the current outlook looks worse. So yeah, I’m crying. Again. But I’m addicted until I complete a 12 step addiction program. Many days I wish I would be rid this misery. Alas.

Top Bottom