Gophers' Ben Johnson hopes students bring energy again to the Barn

When does Johnson realize he was a bad hire? Or has he already?

Its good to get an early start on the "old men yell at clouds" thread for the 23-24 basketball season.

Why would he care? He's making millions of dollars to do what he loves.
You are absolutely correct, which is why I find it funny when people get mad at posters for pointing out how abysmal his tenure has been so far. Who cares? He's making millions! Jokes on us right?

You are absolutely correct, which is why I find it funny when people get mad at posters for pointing out how abysmal his tenure has been so far. Who cares? He's making millions! Jokes on us right?
You think he took the job not knowing he could fail?

Imagine how bad the optics will be when the St. Thomas players don't have to do this, are collecting NIL, and have sold out games?

Never in my life would I have thought that school would pass us in basketball, but they will.
It'll happen in less than five years. UST has big money donors that do things like buy arenas for the school.

Who’s fault is that?
There are a lot of factors that have led to the drastic decline in Gopher Hoops and I think we've discussed those ad nausem here.

As for the rise of UST. They have some very wealthy alumni who are willing to give back to the school and help grow the newly D1 sports program. And it's always been clear to me that people who graduate from private schools in this state identify more strongly/are more involved as alumni, than those who graduate public schools.

There are a lot of factors that have led to the drastic decline in Gopher Hoops and I think we've discussed those ad nausem here.

As for the rise of UST. They have some very wealthy alumni who are willing to give back to the school and help grow the newly D1 sports program. And it's always been clear to me that people who graduate from private schools in this state identify more strongly/are more involved as alumni, than those who graduate public schools.
In 5 years, with the donors and support UST has I can see them in the Big East

In 5 years, with the donors and support UST has I can see them in the Big East
I think that's the goal. A friend of mine has daughters who played golf and volleyball at UST (pre-D1) and is pretty tuned into the athletic program.

My thought on that, is that it feels like there are programs that would be ahead of UST to get in if they wanted.

I think that's the goal. A friend of mine has daughters who played golf and volleyball at UST (pre-D1) and is pretty tuned into the athletic program.

My thought on that, is that it feels like there are programs that would be ahead of UST to get in if they wanted.
Maybe but what UST MBB has going gm for them is their private, brand-new facilities on the way, and are FBS football

That’s most states and it isn’t just at the college level. But you’re 100% right.

Those big money donors didn't want to pay Rohde to stay?
I remember a year ago when the Ben Johnson apology brigade laughed at the idea that Rohde was good. Now we are mocking them because he left to go play for a premier coach in the ACC while getting paid.

We should just bury our heads in the sand and I bet UST will just go away.

That’s most states and it isn’t just at the college level. But you’re 100% right.

Those big money donors didn't want to pay Rohde to stay?
I wonder if money will start ramping up when the teams are eligible for post-season play. Right now, it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay guys when they can't win anything.

Top Bottom