Gophers' Ben Johnson hopes students bring energy again to the Barn

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Marcus:

Gophers men's basketball coach Ben Johnson had his players introduce themselves to fans on campus Monday, but he had a message specifically for students.

"We want the Barn packed and students are a big part of that," Johnson said at Monday's second annual meet-the-team event." Just trying to get that message out that homecourt advantage is super important."

The students who showed up to the Superblock on Monday got free pizza and were awarded prizes for shooting contests, including a TV and Nintendo Switch.

Go Gophers!!

Such a nonstory. Of course he wants the barn packed and the students to be crazy. Every team across the country at every level wants that. Here's the catch: You have to actually WIN games. Just saying you hope people show up and cheer doesn't mean a damn thing. Win games against good competition and people will show up. It's really that simple.

Such a nonstory. Of course he wants the barn packed and the students to be crazy. Every team across the country at every level wants that. Here's the catch: You have to actually WIN games. Just saying you hope people show up and cheer doesn't mean a damn thing. Win games against good competition and people will show up. It's really that simple.
Maybe he wants them to cheer the other team?

s/

100% right. He gave the student body of 40-45,000 students a chance to come out and meet the team. About a 100 showed up if that picture is right. That doesn't bode well. As another poster stated, they are going to have to give away free stuff for a while to get them in the door. Winning changes everything.

100% right. He gave the student body of 40-45,000 students a chance to come out and meet the team. About a 100 showed up if that picture is right. That doesn't bode well. As another poster stated, they are going to have to give away free stuff for a while to get them in the door. Winning changes everything.

After decades of being a huge Gopher basketball fan; probably 20 years of season tickets in that span- I have very little enthusiasm or expectations this year. So sad the decline of this program. 3 too many years of Lil' Ricky and the disastrous Johnson hire. Throw in little to no NIL and I don't see how this program improves the next few years

It’s also really this simple: Do you want your coach out asking students to show up and support the team or would you prefer he not do that?

How about he actually wins some games. He needs to give the fans a reason to show up and have energy.

Playing someone with a pulse the first 2 months of the season typically helps.
* and beating the teams without a pulse with ease would help as well.

Even though they are exciting games beating Western Michigan by 1, California Baptist by 1, and Chicago State by 3 doesn't exactly build excitement heading into the conference season.

This sort of desperation in the fall of 2004 was the origin of the Barnyard.

It’s also really this simple: Do you want your coach out asking students to show up and support the team or would you prefer he not do that?
*Whoosh*.

It doesn't have to be binary - I'd in fact prefer he didn't even have to ask!

This has to be great for recruiting lol. "Come to MN where in early September you have to stand around and greet fans while giving away electronic devices in order to hopefully get people to show up and watch you play." Is this that much different from the bake sales or whatever the women's hockey team used to have to do way back when?

Imagine how bad the optics will be when the St. Thomas players don't have to do this, are collecting NIL, and have sold out games?

Never in my life would I have thought that school would pass us in basketball, but they will.
Coyle finishes his AD career at St T?

This has to be great for recruiting lol. "Come to MN where in early September you have to stand around and greet fans while giving away electronic devices in order to hopefully get people to show up and watch you play." Is this that much different from the bake sales or whatever the women's hockey team used to have to do way back when?
I used to make brownies that everyone seemed to really like.

So you would prefer he do nothing outside of "winning" to promote his own program and in the process avoid absurd criticism from fans.

Top Bottom