Gophers at Badgers Feb 2nd & 3rd 2024

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

HISTORY WITH THE BADGERS
Minnesota holds an all-time record of 183-103-24 (.629) in the series against the Badgers, including three-straight losses after dropping both games at home in October to begin Big Ten Conference action. Jimmy Clark was the only player for the Maroon and Gold with multiple points during the first series versus Wisconsin this season as the freshman had his first collegiate points with an assist in the opener before a goal in game two. The Gophers are 12-5-1 in the last 18 games played at Kohl Center, but five of the past seven trips, and three straight, have resulted in a series split.

INSIDE LOOK AT WISCONSIN
The Badgers are 10-1-1 at home this year and remain the only NCAA team to reach the 20-win mark, sitting in second place in the Big Ten Conference standings after picking up two points during a road trip to Michigan last weekend. Wisconsin holds the nation's top scoring defense, allowing an average of 1.9 goals per game, but surrendered 11 to the Wolverines. The Badgers rank third in the country behind an 87.9 percent penalty kill and given up only 11 power-play goals in 26 games, four coming versus Michigan. They've held opponents scoreless on the man advantage in 11 of the past 13 games before last weekend's series. Wisconsin has six players between the 22- and 19-point mark for a balanced offensive approach, while goaltender Kyle McClellan has made 23 starts and owns a 1.92 goals-against average and a .930 save percentage, ranking fourth and third, respectively, in the nation.

I am thinking a split would be a good result this weekend. I think the Badgers sort of took everyone by surprise with their rapid improvement (vs last year) in the early part of the season. They are good, but I believe the Gophs know this will be a dog fight, and will be ready this time. Hopefully they can at least pull off one W in Madison. Anything better than that would be awesome. 2 losses would be tough to swallow. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Is this on tv anywhere?

I recall the MSC days when you could count on watching nearly every Gopher bball and puck game. The current situation where even big rivalry games are hit or miss is a big step back.

Go Gophers!!
Wisconsin peppered the bejesus out of them in the 2nd and 3rd periods, but Close stood tall and kept it out. Goalie stands on his head, you always gotta chance.

Rinzel is a very fluid skater. Will make some freshman mistakes from time to time, but I feel the young man has tremendous upside.

Can't say enough good things about Moore. Really coming on strong in the second half. Blistering speed and a deft touch on passes.

Looks like BTN+ only. Super lame.

This argument befuddles me. You can get B1G+ on the Minnesota school pass for 1 month for just under $11 for a month ($9.99 + taxes). Sign up, then cancel it 2 minutes later if you don't want to forget. You still get the full month of access.

If you did this last week before the Michigan St. game, you get three Gopher games (Mich.St./Wisco/Wisco) during your month of access. That's under $4 per game ($11/3). If you've ever paid for a ticket to go to a Gopher game at home, I bet you paid more than $4.

The cost, to me, isn't really a factor. If it's something else that makes it lame, that's a different issue to get over.

This argument befuddles me. You can get B1G+ on the Minnesota school pass for 1 month for just under $11 for a month ($9.99 + taxes). Sign up, then cancel it 2 minutes later if you don't want to forget. You still get the full month of access.

If you did this last week before the Michigan St. game, you get three Gopher games (Mich.St./Wisco/Wisco) during your month of access. That's under $4 per game ($11/3). If you've ever paid for a ticket to go to a Gopher game at home, I bet you paid more than $4.

The cost, to me, isn't really a factor. If it's something else that makes it lame, that's a different issue to get over.
Well look at mr. rich guy over here.

It's not the cost. It's the production quality of most of the teams. Big Ten doesn't give a shit about hockey.

NCHC TV has been a quality product for years.

I recall the MSC days when you could count on watching nearly every Gopher bball and puck game. The current situation where even big rivalry games are hit or miss is a big step back.
Those were fun days. This current situation is especially frustrating for those of us who don't live in the Twin Cities and can't get to many home games.

Good win last night. I was a doubter for most of the second and third periods.

Again, if they are really a contender they'll finish the job tonight, in regulation. If they lose, they prove they are ranked exactly where they sit as far as best teams in the country.

Again, if they are really a contender they'll finish the job tonight, in regulation. If they lose, they prove they are ranked exactly where they sit as far as best teams in the country.
Right. If they beat the #4 team in the country in OT tonight, to finish off a weekend sweep of the Badgers, then that will be an abject failure in your book. Got it.

It's not really the money. I won't even complain about the broadcast quality. I'd watch the games live streamed by someone with a cell phone if that's all I could get. It's just annoying. I subscribe to the Direct TV regional sports package (whichever one includes BTN, Bally and all that). I do that because I think I'll be able to see almost all of the Gopher Football, Men's Hockey and (to a lesser extent) Men's Basketball games. I know it's my decision to do that but I just always feel like I am not getting something I pad for when a game isn't included. I won't say the Big Ten doesn't care about hockey. They do. In terms of broadcasts though, they care about any sport in proportion to the $ it generates. So they care a lot about football, next is basketball and next is hockey. And I get that. Again, as a big hockey fan, I just find it annoying.

Right. If they beat the #4 team in the country in OT tonight, to finish off a weekend sweep of the Badgers, then that will be an abject failure in your book. Got it.
3 on 3 doesn't happen when it counts

Phase One of the revenge weekend is complete.

Brody Lamb's goal 62 seconds into overtime gave the ninth-ranked Gophers men's hockey team a 2-1 road victory over No. 3 Wisconsin on Friday night at the Kohl Center.

The Gophers, who were swept at home by the Badgers earlier this season, will go for their own sweep Saturday night in Madison.

Lamb's game-winner, his 11th goal of the season, was a display of tenacity. The play started with a blocked shot by Sam Rinzel in the Gophers' defensive zone that sent him to his knees. Rinzel shook off any pain, gathered the puck and fed it to Oliver Moore skating with Lamb through the neutral zone.

As Lamb streaked up the right side to create an odd-man rush the 6-1, 175-pound sophomore took a cross-ice feed and buried it in front of the Badgers' student section to send the visitors to victory.

The Gophers took a 1-0 lead on Moore's first-period goal. The score stayed that way until Wisconsin's Owen Lindmark popped in the equalizer early in the third.

Justen Close made 40 saves for the Gophers.

Amen! Big difference is coverage in the local media too. So disappointed in the Star and Tribune today, as usual.

In terms of broadcasts though, they care about any sport in proportion to the $ it generates. So they care a lot about football, next is basketball and next is hockey.
That's fair. I've just heard people complain about having to pay for another service to see it. I was just pointing out that you can get by fairly cheap if you work it right.

Also, I think the order of $ for B1G network is football, basketball (M), basketball (W), volleyball, wrestling, hockey. At least it's the impression that I get. Hockey is low on priority list.

Back to this weekend, It was a nice "win" for the gophers last night. Really a tie+. they need a real win tonight.

Last edited:

Bonin is getting optimistic. I expected the take to be "its already an abject failure, but if they can't salvage three more points tonight, we should fire everyone."

Maybe they don't have the skill to replicate it but the Gopher coaches should watch the Michigan power play and how they move the puck like a pro PP instead of whatever it is the Gophers try to do which is mostly rely on individuals to create something and hold the puck way too long before making decisions. It's super annoying to watch.

Replay has destroyed all sports. It should not take 5 minutes to grasp at straws and interoperate things in replay that might not have even been there.

Top Bottom