Gophers 2023 rushing yard leader will be...

Who will be the Gophers 2023 rushing yard leader?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I would like for it to be Taylor. That means he came in and dominated as a true freshman. That's tough as the B1G is a big boy league.

Guessing Tyler though based on age and experience.

I think Bryce Williams will be the X factor. He'll get 3rd down opportunities and certain situations (plus injuries) based off PJs familiarity and trust with him.

I hope it's Taylor but I voted for Evans, he looked good in the spring game.

Taylor, Tyler & Evans are the pair and the spare. I think Taylor is too good to keep off the field. The other 2 are very good too.

Here's to hoping our newer guys on the offensive line continue to be plug and play so these backs can get the most out of their rushes. We have so many weapons across the entire offense!

Evans.

As for Taylor, playing time at the RB position is not determined by what you can do with the ball in your hands. It's determined by what you do when the ball is not in your hands. That takes about a year in the system. I doubt he sees much playing time this year.

Evans.

As for Taylor, playing time at the RB position is not determined by what you can do with the ball in your hands. It's determined by what you do when the ball is not in your hands. That takes about a year in the system. I doubt he sees much playing time this year.
I know many hate this, but with the portal it almost feels like you have to play someone like Taylor because he'll have suitors if he's unhappy.

I think he's too talented with the ball in his hands to keep off the field. I think he sees the field regardless, but his ability to do things like pass protect will determine what situations he plays.

Maybe he's a wonderful, unselfish, completely team first human being and has no issue taking a RS season, but I'm not banking on that 😂

Inquiring minds ask if the other five are so good why go to the portal for another RB?
If the other five are that good but buried in the depth chart will other teams come looking and offer them playing time?

I've said in another post. Darius will need to see the field. In some capacity. 6-8 touches a game return kicks .. some how someway he must be on the field. And with the blue bloods swimming the waters before signing day he knows it and p.j. knows it...

Evans if he stays healthy. It is entirely possible to have a three-headed monster of Evan, Taylor, and Tyler.

Inquiring minds ask if the other five are so good why go to the portal for another RB?
If the other five are that good but buried in the depth chart will other teams come looking and offer them playing time?
What 5 others??

Williams - Sr, dependable but not a game changer.
Evans - RS Fr, injured last year but the staff is high on.
Then 2 true Fr in Taylor and Williams, with the latter not being an early enrollee.

That's 4 scholarship RBs, 3 being Fr. If you remember 2021, we had a LB taking snaps. A talented, 1 year pickup was absolutely smart.

What 5 others??

Williams - Sr, dependable but not a game changer.
Evans - RS Fr, injured last year but the staff is high on.
Then 2 true Fr in Taylor and Williams, with the latter not being an early enrollee.

That's 4 scholarship RBs, 3 being Fr. If you remember 2021, we had a LB taking snaps. A talented, 1 year pickup was absolutely smart.
Jordan Nubian and another walk on from WI last year got some pt (Max Grande).
Both I think are scholarship worthy along with Gregersen the defensive rush end and return man Quentin Redding.

LeCaptain was the linebacker and now is on scholarship. Had some time at fullback in goaline situations last year.

I think Tyler leads the team. No idea what we really have with Taylor or even Evans quite yet, I’m guessing he and Evans will have a similar share of touches. Neither will bolt for PT with Tyler leaving next year. Of course money can always pull guys as it seemed to with Irving.

For everyone worried about Taylor. I think it’s more likely we’d lose him by having him splash big number as a freshman. That’s what happened with Irving. That’s when the money gets thrown around. He isn’t going to leave due to PT with Tyler gone after this year. So I think just play the best guys that give you the best shot to win, if they leave they leave, not much you can do about it.

Jordan Nubian and another walk on from WI last year got some pt (Max Grande).
Both I think are scholarship worthy along with Gregersen the defensive rush end and return man Quentin Redding.

LeCaptain was the linebacker and now is on scholarship. Had some time at fullback in goaline situations last year.
I get that we have walk on running backs. But badger fan was trolling stating 'if the other five are so good why go to the portal for another'

It's absurd to not take Tyler no matter how good of a back Nubin might be. My point was that we don't have crazy depth. 3 (talented) guys with virtually zero experience and a steady senior. Tyler was a slam dunk get.

I get that we have walk on running backs. But badger fan was trolling stating 'if the other five are so good why go to the portal for another'

It's absurd to not take Tyler no matter how good of a back Nubin might be. My point was that we don't have crazy depth. 3 (talented) guys with virtually zero experience and a steady senior. Tyler was a slam dunk get.
Bryce Williams is sixth year and beat Nebraska in 2021 with over 100 yards and game winning touch down. I also think Evans will compete with Tyler for rushing leader.

disclaimers: it all depends on # of carries and injuries.

But - Tyler was brought in by the coaches to fill a perceived need. If he's healthy, I think he is RB1 for the season opener. But, he typically has not been a high-volume back - in the range of 15 to 18 carries.

even with Athan (we think) putting the ball up more, that still leaves a lot of carries for Evans, Bryce Williams as the 3rd-down back, and Taylor will (I think) get a taste.

last year's team averaged 45 rush att and 22 pass att per game. just for fun, let's say 40 and 27 this year. so with 40 carries to spread around, let's go with:
Tyler 17
Evans 13
B. Williams 5
Taylor 5

Bryce Williams is sixth year and beat Nebraska in 2021 with over 100 yards and game winning touch down. I also think Evans will compete with Tyler for rushing leader.

OK, I'm not following your posts. Are you agreeing with Plato that Tyler was not needed?? My entire point to his snarky ass comment is that Tyler is a great add and bridge from our current backfield to the future backfield.

Do you think that B Williams, Evans, Taylor, M Williams plus the walkons you mentioned were sufficient? To me that's razor thin margins. I hope Taylor and Evans over take Tyler at some point but I think Tyler was a good and needed addition to the rotation this year.

Last edited:

OK, I'm not following your posts. Are you agreeing with Plato that Tyler was not needed?? My entire point to his snarky ass comment is that Tyler is a great add and bridge from our current backfield to the future backfield.

Do you think that B Williams, Evans, Taylor, M Williams plus the walkons you mentioned were sufficient? To me that's razor thin margins. I hope Taylor and Evans over take Tyler at some point but I think Tyler was a good and needed addition to the rotation this year.
Ok yes I agree with you that Tyler is needed and be a valuable addition.

Top Bottom