Gopher Potential Portal Pursuits

I honestly can't think of 1 reason you would take a kid who is going to redshirt. You get nothing that year, and the way FA works, if that player is worth anything they are getting 100000 offers to leave, and if they are terrible then you keep wasting a spot. Literally a total lose lose.
Agreed. Big surprise the U couldn’t anticipate this change at hiring time. 40 yrs of the crap. 1993 NCAA football changes - the smart teams took advantage……not the U.

I honestly can't think of 1 reason you would take a kid who is going to redshirt. You get nothing that year, and the way FA works, if that player is worth anything they are getting 100000 offers to leave, and if they are terrible then you keep wasting a spot. Literally a total lose lose.
The only potential benefit to bringing them in now would be if you had some strong confidence in the fact that they would not up and leave the following year. But in this day and age it would be really tough to feel that confident about any player since loyalty is not something that seems to exist in college basketball outside of maybe a guy like Parker Fox.

Mor Seck is a no brainer. Grab him. “No NIL”
Where is the last spot going to go to anyways?
He is an international player. Just like Frank Mitchell.

What if he can't play for health reasons? He's not the only marginal international big man out there in the portal. I know it's customary for this team to have at least one invalid redshirt but maybe now isn't the time to continue that practice.

I’m officially on the Mor Seck train. Here is the Dennis Evans that many were excited about. People were willing to give Evans time to assimilate into the BIG
He grabbed the NIL
This guy blocks shots like Dennis of the renowned wingspan. He gets over 3 a game per his 40 minutes.
Taking a chance? Sure. Costly? Not really. International player.

What if he can't play for health reasons? He's not the only marginal international big man out there in the portal. I know it's customary for this team to have at least one invalid redshirt but maybe now isn't the time to continue that practice.
TwistingMyMelon, I’m going to die on this hill. No need to provide rationality. NOT going to budge.

I’m officially on the Mor Seck train. Here is the Dennis Evans that many were excited about. People were willing to give Evans time to assimilate into the BIG
He grabbed the NIL
This guy blocks shots like Dennis of the renowned wingspan. He gets over 3 a game per his 40 minutes.
Taking a chance? Sure. Costly? Not really. International player.
Speaking of Dennis Evans, is there a reason not to take another look at him? I'll bet we could get him for close to nothing. He's more of a basketball player than Jack Wilson.

This one is bizarre.....so he's planning on redshirting this year to rehab a knee injury? Who is gonna take him? Think about it.....he comes to your school....collects NIL.....rehabs his knee with your facility/medical staff and then re-enters the portal for more NIL $$$ when he's actually ready to play. What a potential nightmare.
Yeah but the price is cheap.

Anyone remember what the number ended up being last year? 1,800 scholarship players looking for new homes is ridiculous. What a messed up time this is right now in college basketball.
An average of just over five players per team leaving. Most D-1 coaches are today incapable of keeping a team together. Ben Johnson somewhere in the middle of the stack, failures all.

Anyone remember what the number ended up being last year? 1,800 scholarship players looking for new homes is ridiculous. What a messed up time this is right now in college basketball.
1718 last year according to verbal commits

with nil, looks like there is a pecking order and MN WI and IA don't appear to be near the top of that order

with nil, looks like there is a pecking order and MN WI and IA don't appear to be near the top of that order
For the most part, we are going to have to let the big boys fill their core roster and burn out their money. Then it is time for round 2. For now- go all in on Evans or an equivalent 6-4 to 6-6 wing that can score it. Get the rest when we can.

I believe Wisconsin is the only team in the conference who has yet to pick up a single transfer from the portal. Considering that they had 6 enter the portal and Tyler Wahl is out of eligibility, that has to be a little disconcerting. They have only two freshmen entering.

Iowa has one transfer commit. They have two incoming freshmen recruits. They had three exit the portal. They have one starter out of eligibility.

I believe Wisconsin is the only team in the conference who has yet to pick up a single transfer from the portal. Considering that they had 6 enter the portal and Tyler Wahl is out of eligibility, that has to be a little disconcerting. They have only two freshmen entering.
It appears they are going to go after less sexy talent that fit in their system. Rigsby types. We'll have to see if they can make that work.

It appears they are going to go after less sexy talent that fit in their system. Rigsby types. We'll have to see if they can make that work.
What system?

Top Bottom