Gopher Hockey Recruiting

There is no "gentlemen's agreement" anymore in college hockey, unless he has signed his NLI. I do not believe he has.
Not sure if he has, but when a friend sits in your living room after the tragic death of your son, you don't necessarily need a gentleman's agreement. Again, I may be wrong. We'll see.

It's probably, true. If we're going to go international I'd prefer Levshunov for this upcoming year anyways... Losing Faber/Johnson/Lacombe is huge and the D will be the make or break for the Gophers. The D could force Close to be more spectacular, whereas he's better when he just needs to be good.

It's probably, true. If we're going to go international I'd prefer Levshunov for this upcoming year anyways... Losing Faber/Johnson/Lacombe is huge and the D will be the make or break for the Gophers. The D could force Close to be more spectacular, whereas he's better when he just needs to be good.
Lots of big, highly rated goalies in Europe. They seem to grow them there.

Of course they would lose Fantilli then get this guy. But MSU is sneaky lately.

Scott Wheeler Rankings:
Summer 2023 - Spring 2023 - Summer 2022
Cooley: 6 - 1 - 5
Moore: 17 - N/A - N/A
Snuggerud: 23 - 15 - Unranked

Other college top 25:
Will Smith (BC): 5 - N/A - N/A
Gauthier (BC): 13 - 11 - 35
Perrault (BC): 15 - N/A - N/A
Leonard (BC): 19 - N/A - N/A
Wood (UConn): 18 - N/A - N/A

BC will be there in St. Paul.

Of course they would lose Fantilli then get this guy. But MSU is sneaky lately.
If accurate that those 3 were the frontrunners, you have to think the news out of Vermont makes it likely that this kid is playing in the Big Ten.

If accurate that those 3 were the frontrunners, you have to think the news out of Vermont makes it likely that this kid is playing in the Big Ten.
I think that was probably already a near certainty.

With Levshunov, Hagens, and Hensler out it smells like a disappointing recruiting cycle ahead. If they don't get Cooley's cousin it'll hurt.

Three highly touted Moorhead kids in this class, getting 2 out of 3 would be absolute robbery from UND.
Kraft
Lindberg
Laurila

Motzko said he isn't going to the portal but at this point he needs to be reaching out to Jack Hughes from Northeastern if he's not following his brother to OSU. Also trying to pull a miracle with Eiserman.

More likely: We get two of Schmidt/Clark/Hendrickson and go with 14 forwards since one of our WJC departures just left and 15 forwards might not be needed.

Never seen him play. I just know big defensemen often don't amount to all that much in college, especially in their first two years. You really want to get three out of them.

The hope is obviously to get the next Parayko.

For those out of the loop, he committed to the U.

96th ranked 2007, per PuckPreps. 3rd ranked 2007 MN D.

While we wait on the big fish, Mooney, noticed a little streak Motzko is trying to keep up with his commitment.

In Puck Preps rankings, he's had a top 5 North American player in the 2004, 2005, and 2006 birth years.

2004: Cooley (3rd)
2005: Moore (4th)
2006: Eiserman (2nd)
2007: Mooney (4th)?
2008: Bumgarner (2nd)?

While we wait on the big fish, Mooney, noticed a little streak Motzko is trying to keep up with his commitment.

In Puck Preps rankings, he's had a top 5 North American player in the 2004, 2005, and 2006 birth years.

2004: Cooley (3rd)
2005: Moore (4th)
2006: Eiserman (2nd)
2007: Mooney (4th)?
2008: Bumgarner (2nd)?
Are we thought to be the favorite on Bumgarner? Too early to tell?

6 foot 5 rising junior defenseman from Wayzata and Benilde-St. Margarets, Mace'o Phillips commits to Minnesota. Will be playing for the USNTDP starting this year.

Matthew Grimes commits. Seems decent but not super highly ranked. Another left hander too.

Last edited:

I know Bob is fishing for some big fish, but these last couple of days have not been great. Never felt strong about Hensler coming to Minnesota, but I guess at least it was not to Michigan.

As I said before, we knew Hagens and Hensler weren't looking good. Not banking on Hagens at all. But if he misses on Cooley's cousin... ouch.

BU has firmly taken the top recruiting title currently. The title went from Michigan (Beniers/Power/Johnson/Hughes era), briefly to MN (Faber/Knies/Cooley/Snugg era), to BC (2023 class), and now to BU for the future classes.

Morin, Fondrk, probably Cullen, maybe Hagens

Last edited:

Hendrickson is not coming in. Seems like Schmidt has moved on.

It will likely be 14 forwards, including one yet to be named walk on.

Pitlick - Moore - Snuggerud
Nevers - Nelson - Brodzinski
Kurth/Lamb - Huglen - Kurth/Lamb
Pinoniemi/Clark/Mittelstadt/Strobel some combo. All pretty much interchangeable IMO
Walk on

Whoever ends up on the top line LW is going to need to take a significant step.

Hagens seems like a 5% shot.

Bob needs Mooney and at least one of the Shakopee kids (ideally both) to make this a good recruiting cycle.

14th forward will be a 5th year grad student. Sounds like it's a Minnesotan so either Schmidt or if it's somehow possible would be nice to get:
John Keranen - Army - From Delano - Ben Meyers HS teammate, turns 25 tomorrow

Last edited:

Top Bottom