Gopher Football Wants a New Scoreboard

Iceland12

Reaction score
he item is scheduled to go before the Regents at their regular meeting next week, and if given consent, the updated LED video board would be in place for the 2023 football season, U documents show. The U said it would pay for it though donations and debt financing.

The U’s stadium opened in 2009. The school said the expected life for this technology is approximately 10 years.

“Over time, HBS’s displays have become noticeably dimmer, worn and washed out,” the athletics department said in its proposal letter. “Due to the age of the HBS displays, replacement parts are no longer manufactured for the existing display and the manufacturer, Daktronics, no longer offers a service contract to the University.”..

Gophers Athletics Director Mark Coyle said last week the U still has approximately $40 million in debt due to pay off the Athletes Village project and its $21.5 million loan taken out from the university to bridge a budget shortfall from the COVID-19 pandemic in fiscal year 2020.

There is some noticeable off colour or “dead” spots on the board above the open side.

I’m all for new stuff. I love new stuff. But I want new stuff that is bigger and better than old stuff.

Replacing the scoreboard because it can’t be serviced after just 10 years does seem like a waste to me.

When I saw the headline, I was hoping I was going to read that the big one in west end zone was going to be moved to replace the little one on the east stadium rim, and in its place would be a new board, double the size.

Size matters. Go big or don’t bother.

High schools sell signage around the perimeter of the board to pay for it. Our AD evidently is not capable of accomplishing any fundraising or selling. Seems like a pretty easy limited, exclusive one time opportunity for Washburn McCreavy, Federated Insurance, and the gang. 10 year contract...Huntington Bank carries the paper...your partners make the the payments. Football games, graduation, private events, all kinds of opportunities to support the Gophers.

OR, it was in the contract that the nameholder, Huntington Bank, buys and maintains the scoreboard with a new one every 10 years. OR, some other company exclusively sponsors the board and puts it all over social media as the community/state partner with happy fans around the edges.

Last edited:

I’m all for new stuff. I love new stuff. But I want new stuff that is bigger and better than old stuff.

Replacing the scoreboard because it can’t be serviced after just 10 years does seem like a waste to me.

When I saw the headline, I was hoping I was going to read that the big one in west end zone was going to be moved to replace the little one on the east stadium rim, and in its place would be a new board, double the size.
Until people say “I was going to go to the game, but the janky scoreboard was a deal-breaker for me”, leave it as is.

Until people say “I was going to go to the game, but the janky scoreboard was a deal-breaker for me”, leave it as is.
That's sounds like a recipe for letting your stadium become a dump and end up playing off campus for decades and setting the program back.

I don't believe there's been any major improvements to the stadium since its inception. Contrast that to Target Field where they've made slight improvements over the years. I believe TF is also getting a new board next year.

That's sounds like a recipe for letting your stadium become a dump and end up playing off campus for decades and setting the program back.

I don't believe there's been any major improvements to the stadium since its inception. Contrast that to Target Field where they've made slight improvements over the years. I believe TF is also getting a new board next year.

Agreed. Losers mentality is waiting, needs constant investment.

Brilliant for Daktronics to not service the boards anymore. Forces teams to buy new ones.
Yup. This might seem like a waste of money until you think about what would happen if the board had a major problem. That's an embarrassing national national news story that gets brought up every game for an entire season. Out of service = Instant Replacement.

Posted this before but please get some new stadium lights! I know we don't play that many night games

I just read the new Twins scoreboard will be 76% bigger than the current scoreboard.

That is exactly what I was getting at when I was referring to wanting new stuff that is bigger and better than old stuff.

This Gopher scoreboard replacement sounds like it is more about maintaining things than it is improving things. The standard def board on the east stadium bowl rim was too small the day the stadium opened. It would be nice if the main scoreboard was bigger. The article was light on details and perhaps something will be upgraded. But I’m getting the feeling this is little more than changing out light bulbs in terms of a difference for fans to enjoy.

?

Allocation of resources. Is a new scoreboard the most pressing issue?

Yup. This might seem like a waste of money until you think about what would happen if the board had a major problem. That's an embarrassing national national news story that gets brought up every game for an entire season. Out of service = Instant Replacement.
Embarrassing national news story?

Don't believe Target Field will be 76% bigger. Will be bigger, but not that big. Main thing they are doing though is to update the software technology. With technology changing so rapidly, the companies look ahead as opposed to making parts to keep the old technology alive. I do get it where TCF needs to do an upgrade as opposed to replacing parts etc.

Don't believe Target Field will be 76% bigger. Will be bigger, but not that big. Main thing they are doing though is to update the software technology. With technology changing so rapidly, the companies look ahead as opposed to making parts to keep the old technology alive. I do get it where TCF needs to do an upgrade as opposed to replacing parts etc.
Well, I believe EVERYTHING I read on Twitter.

Twins old scoreboard.jpegAnd I'll bet those four ads provide the revenue to pay for it. Do those ads change? Like could I get 100 advertisers and rotate them every 10 seconds? Scoreboard probably provides revenue to the Twins and the advertisers money also pays for purchasing and installation of it.
But the AD thinks if somebody would just buy him one it'd be easier.

spermophilus visits Sanford Stadium for UGA vs Notre Dame 2019 . . . .

C53EE9CC-0BD7-4C98-B3B1-54E70E570CD5.jpeg

Attachments

• EA4D6CB2-5E42-4787-8F77-C1E60BEE7DBC.jpeg
    EA4D6CB2-5E42-4787-8F77-C1E60BEE7DBC.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0

View attachment 20151And I'll bet those four ads provide the revenue to pay for it. Do those ads change? Like could I get 100 advertisers and rotate them every 10 seconds? Scoreboard probably provides revenue to the Twins and the advertisers money also pays for purchasing and installation of it.
But the AD thinks if somebody would just buy him one it'd be easier.

Have you not attended a Gophers game at Huntington Bank Stadium? There are ads on the sides of the scoreboard. They do indeed change, and you can see 4 ads on each side of the board during games.

Last edited:

I just read the new Twins scoreboard will be 76% bigger than the current scoreboard.

That is exactly what I was getting at when I was referring to wanting new stuff that is bigger and better than old stuff.

This Gopher scoreboard replacement sounds like it is more about maintaining things than it is improving things. The standard def board on the east stadium bowl rim was too small the day the stadium opened. It would be nice if the main scoreboard was bigger. The article was light on details and perhaps something will be upgraded. But I’m getting the feeling this is little more than changing out light bulbs in terms of a difference for fans to enjoy.

I thought one of the reasons the stadium has an East-West orientation rather than a conventional North-South was to have the open end with a view of campus/downtown. If that was true, I don't envision a giant board being put up that blocks that view.

I do hope at some point they address the East side. Maybe add one of those thinner ones that run the width of the stadium.

Brilliant for Daktronics to not service the boards anymore. Forces teams to buy new ones.
I mean ... 10 years is a pretty nice warranty and service contract to offer?

They have to stay in business.

Top Bottom