Good or Not Good for Tyler Johnson?

It should not be a surprise that TJ is not getting more reps as the ones who have the capability to take a step back from the Gopher fandom pointed out. If you thought Brady would target TJ over AB you were delusional.

Tyler is playing, AWJr out with a foot injury.
TJ has been in there, looked like he made a bonehead move on Tampa's last TD. Came in motion, looked like Brady tried telling him he should have stayed on the one side, TJ looks confused, essentially stopped right next to Brady, then continued in motion..... wasn't a really good look, but Tampa scored anyway because, well... Brady is Brady

It should not be a surprise that TJ is not getting more reps as the ones who have the capability to take a step back from the Gopher fandom pointed out. If you thought Brady would target TJ over AB you were delusional.
No one thought that Brady was going to target Johnson over Brown. I thought that Johnson would take over Godwin's role in the slot, and while he kind of did, the results have not been pretty.

Star QB's go to the WR's they trust. Its why Mahomes goes to Kelce or Hill. Rodgers to Adams. Watch these guys throw to another WR and how they react when that WR messes up. That's essentially what Brady does with TJ. Apparently it's served these guys well to this point in their careers.

TJ has been in there, looked like he made a bonehead move on Tampa's last TD. Came in motion, looked like Brady tried telling him he should have stayed on the one side, TJ looks confused, essentially stopped right next to Brady, then continued in motion..... wasn't a really good look, but Tampa scored anyway because, well... Brady is Brady
TJ also failed to block his guy on a little screen to Brown. Brady had him for good gain with open space ahead. One guy to beat with Tyler there to hold him off two seconds. Defensive player ran right through Tyler and hit Brown right when he caught it. One yard gain instead of 10 or 15.

TJ also failed to block his guy on a little screen to Brown. Brady had him for good gain with open space ahead. One guy to beat with Tyler there to hold him off two seconds. Defensive player ran right through Tyler and hit Brown right when he caught it. One yard gain instead of 10 or 15.
Ugh. That's what I complained about last week. He gets destroyed on blocks. Sucks seeing him struggle this season. He had several great plays last year and did his part in the playoffs.

I would only dump Thielen due to his contract. If he was cheaper he'd be a great guy for the roster.
Yeah and you could get something for him. If you're about to start a rebuild, I'm not sure how much sense it makes to not cash in on some of the older assets.

Yeah and you could get something for him. If you're about to start a rebuild, I'm not sure how much sense it makes to not cash in on some of the older assets.

Rebuilds can happen in a year in the NFL, and this team isn't that far away. You can argue better coaching alone would have won them 3 more games this season.

Their offense is more than capable of making a run in the playoffs but their defense is a mess. A new coach, a good draft, and a few key FA signings on defense and the Vikings could make a run next season.

Thielen is still highly productive and one of the best red zone WRs in the NFL. Tyler Johnson will never come even close to his level.

I don’t pretend to be an expert but in my limited experience watching Tampa Bay games this season, he appears to have a hard time creating separation and as others have said, blocking has also been an issue. Gulp.

He’s not the go to guy, so he needs to be the blocking guy, or he’s going to be the bench guy.

Rebuilds can happen in a year in the NFL, and this team isn't that far away. You can argue better coaching alone would have won them 3 more games this season.

Their offense is more than capable of making a run in the playoffs but their defense is a mess. A new coach, a good draft, and a few key FA signings on defense and the Vikings could make a run next season.

Thielen is still highly productive and one of the best red zone WRs in the NFL. Tyler Johnson will never come even close to his level.
That is true too.

I waver back and forth between a full blow up and rebuild and just patching it together and making a run. For me, it comes down to this. . . I think if we are going to add pieces, we likely need to restructure Kirk which likely means another 3 seasons of him. Because a number of teams need a QB and he is on his last year with us, we could probably get an asset for Kirk (especially if we would be willing to eat ~$10 million of his cap hit next year). In two years, I think some of our pieces that we could get the most value would greatly depreciate (Harrison Smith, Thielen, Pierce, Kendricks).

But I do think you have a point. Our coaching was so bad this year, it's not difficult to see a 10-5 team with our current roster. So I don't think your take is crazy at all, i'd just go another route.

I wasn't implying to trade Thielen for Tyler Johnson. I wouldn't give up any assets (maybe like a 5th or 6th rounder) for a WR who hasn't cracked the lineup for another team.

Just don’t see TJ making it in the NFL that much longer. Sad but true.

He’d be the first to be exiled in the NFL just in short 3-4 years with a SuperBowl ring.

Top Bottom