Games this Weekend

husker70

Reaction score
1. College Game Day from The Grove. This is number 2 on my list of Tail Gaiting. 10 Acres, it opens on Friday night at 9 P.M. and closes at Midnight Saturday. The team walks The Gove on the way to the stadium. I can only hope ESPN can do it justice.

2. Alabama at Ole Miss. The Rebels have been pointing to this, can they get it done.

3. TOSU at Maryland this is a road game for the Buckeyes. Many thought Maryland and Rutgers were gimmies. Not so fast

4. Nebraska at MSU. Some think an undefeated Big 10 team is only way to get to the Tourney. West vs. East

5. LSU at Auburn.

6. Oklahoma at TCU somethings gotta give.

7. Dave Brandon said he has not considering resigning or firing Brady Hoke. Is that the kiss of death?
The Wolverines at Rutgers after dark.

As others have stated, hopefully NW and the skunks beat the he!! out of each other physically and emotionally. I'm also hoping MI beats Rutgers and TCU pulls off a big upset against the Sooners.

Not listed: Oregon losing to Arizona again, this time at home.

Anytime Nike U loses, college football wins.

Also twisting the knife just a little deeper on Michigan fans, seeing Rich Rod find some success.

Also twisting the knife just a little deeper on Michigan fans, seeing Rich Rod find some success.
Geez, Oregon was supposed to win by 21.5 points.

However, the B1G also loses as now we pretty much need Nebraska to run the table to be in the playoff discussion. No chance for MSU now.

However, the B1G also loses as now we pretty much need Nebraska to run the table to be in the playoff discussion. No chance for MSU now.

Oregon loss definitely hurts Sparty, but too early to say they're out of it. Still lots of time for total carnage, starting this weekend. Great weekend ahead.

Michigan State lost a game to a crappy Notre Dame team last year and would have been in the playoff last year. I wouldn't count them out yet. If they had to have a loss, losing to Oregon on the road is probably one of the better ones.

Michigan State lost a game to a crappy Notre Dame team last year and would have been in the playoff last year. I wouldn't count them out yet. If they had to have a loss, losing to Oregon on the road is probably one of the better ones.

Exactly. It's very unlikely that 4 undefeated teams will be in the playoffs. There might not be any undefeated teams. If Oregon and Michigan St. run the table, both will still have a good chance to make it.

I agree. The committee will take injuries into account. Oregon was healthier when they played MSU. They have 4 OL out with injuries right now.

Michigan State lost a game to a crappy Notre Dame team last year

Yeah, that crappy Notre Dame team who finished 9-4, ended the season at #20 in the country, and beat MSU, ASU, USC, and BYU. They were just terrible.

Yeah, that crappy Notre Dame team who finished 9-4, ended the season at #20 in the country, and beat MSU, ASU, USC, and BYU. They were just terrible.

They weren't as crappy as I remember, but point remains the same. Still a worse loss than Oregon.

I look at the new 4-team playoff this way, as it pertains to the Big Ten. In most seasons, any Big Ten team no matter what the "perception" is of the conference, will be in the hunt for the playoff if they finish with 0 or 1 losses. They may not make it, but they'll be in the conversation, especially if the only loss is to a quality opponent, and especially if that loss was on the road (see MSU in 2013). This season that most certainly applies to Michigan State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and yes, the Gophers. There's just too much unexpected carnage that goes on every week & every season to assume five weeks into the season that 1 loss knocks you out.

I would agree that this season, 1-loss teams from the SEC and Pac 12, are likely to have a significant leg up on a 1-loss squad from the Big Ten. 2-loss teams from the SEC or Pac 12, however, will not be a shoo-in. I agree with the sentiment that at least in Year 1 of the CFP, there will be an emphasis on conference champions, as long as you have no more than 1 loss & as long as you played 1 quality opponent outside of your conference (looking at you cupcake-playing Baylor). I think it's very likely we'll see 3 conference champions (for certain the SEC's) in the playoff, 2 if Notre Dame makes it.

They weren't as crappy as I remember, but point remains the same. Still a worse loss than Oregon.

Time will tell. Oregon might lose 4 games with the injuries to the OL. It seems to me that Oregon got potentially screwed by the officials last night as MSU did against Notre Dame last year. So many factors play into these games.

I wonder if Rich Rod is looking better and better to Michigan fans.

I've come to realize that the difference between the B1G and other conferences is the athleticism of the offensive lines. The B1G teams seem to have the least athleticism up front on offense. This may be why some of these spread coaches have failed a bit in the north. Rodriquez should have been given more time.

I agree. The committee will take injuries into account. Oregon was healthier when they played MSU. They have 4 OL out with injuries right now.

Oregon was fortunate to survive Washington State last week. With a trip to UCLA looming next week, it could get worse for the Ducks. I'm hoping so.

A one loss MSU that wins The Big 10 Championship Game will be in. I doubt there will be a one loss team coming from the SEC Championship Game. Pac12 who you got? Arizona? UCLA? Oregon? USC? they will possibly produce a one loss Champion. The Big 12 presumptive favorite is Oklahoma. Can they go undefeated? Then you have FSU, they are teetering on a loss. I guess what I am trying to illustrate 1 loss MSU is still in it. Now the committee has a fly buzzing out west. What if BYU goes undefeated?

A one loss MSU that wins The Big 10 Championship Game will be in. I doubt there will be a one loss team coming from the SEC Championship Game. Pac12 who you got? Arizona? UCLA? Oregon? USC? they will possibly produce a one loss Champion. The Big 12 presumptive favorite is Oklahoma. Can they go undefeated? Then you have FSU, they are teetering on a loss. I guess what I am trying to illustrate 1 loss MSU is still in it.

Well said, though I don't think Sparty would be a lock with 1 loss. Quite a few things still have to happen.

And I'd certainly argue Nebraska is still in play with a loss tomorrow night, as long as they don't get their doors blown off by MSU. Nebraska could lose tomorrow night, run the table, presumably see MSU again in the title game, except this time beat them. Playing MSU twice, beating them on a neutral field, and a win @ Wisconsin (among a couple others) thrown in there certainly would give the Huskers' strength of schedule some pop.

When it gets right down to the nitty gritty at the end of the season, most of the teams in CFP contention will only have played 4 or 5 games vs. truly quality teams (for argument's sake let's say teams that finish 9-3 or better). You better not have played any less than that if you have designs on one of the 4 spots, unless you're undefeated and from the Power 5.

Strength of schedule kills BYU. They stole a national championship 30 years ago with a terrible schedule - it won't happen again.

This isn't about anointing a National Champion, but finding the top 4 teams. If there is a two loss SEC Champion, and FSU falls, it will hard not to give an undefeated team a shot.

Strength of schedule kills BYU. They stole a national championship 30 years ago with a terrible schedule - it won't happen again.

worst part is they can't even really claim that they were so good against the power 5 b/c every team they've played is going to be a middling-bottom team in each conference too. Only way I see them getting in is if there's a couple of 2 loss conference champs with bad losses. Even a one loss FSU or Oklahoma or MSU/Nebraska I think will get in ahead in addition to a 2 loss SEC team

This isn't about anointing a National Champion, but finding the top 4 teams. If there is a two loss SEC Champion, and FSU falls, it will hard not to give an undefeated team a shot.

Disagree. I think it would be very easy for the committee to look past an undefeated team who played weak competition. That's the whole idea now - they aren't bound by rankings to give certain teams a shot at the big bowls just because a computer spits out a magic number.

Turned out to be a moot point, anyway. BYU confirmed everyone's suspicions that they weren't actually very good tonight.

Desmond Howard just called us a cupcake on Gameday when referring to TCUs schedule and defensive stats through their first three games. Ouch. I hope TCU destroys Oklahoma.

I think a one loss Michigan St. team could get in ahead of a one loss Florida St. team, especially if FL St. continues to struggle.

I wouldn't be shocked if another 4 or 5 top 10 teams lose this weekend. Who knows what the rankings will be next week.

Wake Forest at No. 1 Florida State
No. 3 Alabama at No. 11 Ole Miss
No. 4 Oklahoma at No. 25 TCU
No. 15 LSU at No. 5 Auburn
No. 6 Texas A&M at No. 12 Mississippi State
No. 7 Baylor at Texas
Utah at No. 8 UCLA
No. 14 Stanford at No. 9 Notre Dame
No. 19 Nebraska at No. 10 Michigan State

No. 2 Oregon already lost.

Desmond Howard just called us a cupcake on Gameday when referring to TCUs schedule and defensive stats through their first three games. Ouch. I hope TCU destroys Oklahoma.

All you need to know about Desmond.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Calling us a cupcake who destroyed his squad at the big house, that could be construed as "saying something".

Top Bottom