GAME #9: Gophers (6-2) v. Florida State (5-2) [ESPNU, 8:30PM]

Great win!

Note: Such a difficult game to watch, terrible officiating (even with slightly in Gophers' favor, IMO) - slowly turning the great sport of NCAA BB into the awful, FT shooting, star-biased, no-defense sport of NBA "basketball".

A lot of nice games for Gopher players tonight. Not sure where the team would be without Mathieu - a huge pickup for Pitino.

Big win for the Gophers. I didn't have an issue with the way the games was called, the refs (for the most part) were consistent. FSU will definitely be the biggest and one of the most athletic teams the Gophers face all year. It was nice to see the team find a way to win against a team that on paper should have given them a lot of trouble. FSU got back in to the game because we couldn't match their size inside, but also because the Gophers (especially the Gopher bigs) missed a lot of good looks on the offensive end. I never felt like the Gophers were in serious danger of losing, because they managed to get a good look at the basket almost every time down the floor. A couple great stats for the Gophers: only 6 turnovers for the game and they won the offensive boards 13-10 (lost overall boards 36-32, which I'll take any day against that FSU team)

Quick individual player thoughts:

Oto: Can't question his effort out there. He was out sized and out talented all night, but continued to battle and came up with some with some scrappy rebounds/loose balls.

Mathieu: He was the key at the end of the game, especially with his pressure defensively. His finish over the 7'3 guy when we hadn't had a bucket in ages was huge as were his two free throws on a subsequent possession.

Dre Hollins: Got us off to a nice start and looked like the 'Dre of old for much of the game. Would have liked to see him make a couple more free throws and be a little more aggressive in looking for his shot in the 2nd half. Did he try to dunk on the 7 foot Ojo on that one break?

Austin Hollins: He reminds everyone that he's a big time athlete again. His 5 points on back to back buckets with around 7 minutes left were important as we couldn't stop FSU during that stretch. He also made a great play to coral that lob from Mathieu and get it to Oto who probably should have went up for the layup instead of feeding it to Mo(although it looked like a pass Mo should have handled).

Joey King: Gives up a bunch on the defensive end, but it was refreshing to have a "big" who could knock down some free throws.

Mo Walker: Looked like a guy who just hasn't played much basketball lately. Had a number of opportunities for "and 1's" and couldn't finish down low. He also had a couple fouls and a couple mishaps with the ball that all seemed attributed to the game being a little too fast for him right now. It's like he's in Spring training and everyone else is in their regular season groove... I expect things to improve for him.

Charles Buggs: Best minutes as a Gopher. Nice individual defense and a confident jump shot on offense. Hopefully, he gains some confidence from this performance and can build off of it.

Elliott Eliason: Really quiet game from Eliason on the stat sheet, but he's clearly an important presence for the Gophers.

As a team I was impressed by a number of things, especially how well are guys pressured ball handlers without fouling in the last 2 minutes or so. It was clear they've been coached well as EVERYBODY had their hands up while guarding the ball making it clear they weren't making contact. On the offensive end, it certainly seemed like Coach Pitino has emphasized the pump fake with this group. Andre, Austin, and Joey all had multiple instances of using a shot fake to create room for either a shot or penetration to get someone else a look. I don't know if this was an emphasis for FSU in particular or if it was just a skill worked on in practice, but it was clear it was something we worked on.

I think Dre is just getting gassed out there in the second halves of these games. It's effecting his jumper and ability to finish. While it sucks to have him off the floor, I think he needs a bit more of a breather to be on top of his game.

This is a solid win. Good toughness and great hustle out of the team. We really pressured Florida State into a lot of foolish mistakes.

Ed Hightower can blow chunks.

To these refs, good defense = foul. Horrendous officiating. You can call it consistent, but being consistently terrible is not a good thing.

I don't know if it was apparent on TV, but the crowd was about 2 more Hightower calls from a riot with maybe 7 minutes to play or so

I don't know if it was apparent on TV, but the crowd was about 2 more Hightower calls from a riot with maybe 7 minutes to play or so

Loved it though. We need to have that kind of passion every home game.

Sorry if it's been covered already but somewhere in the middle of the second half Pitino was just in the face of and screaming at either Walker or King. I'm not sure I ever saw Tubby get in anyones face like that. I found it a bit refreshing.

Studmeister does not troll. He says what he thinks, I just wish he would think more and talk less. :)

It must be true what they say about football players and scrambled marbles.

Great win. We were up double digits almost the entire second half. When FSU started to cut the lead we kept our composure and closed out the win. This game and Richmond have really sold me on Pitino's coaching ability. In previous years we would have folded in the last 5 minutes and lost by 10, this team is mentally tougher.

To these refs, good defense = foul. Horrendous officiating. You can call it consistent, but being consistently terrible is not a good thing.

Besides what this would consistently do to our game times. I might as well have gone straight to the office and slept there last night.

The rewarding of good defense with a foul call is something we just can't have in the game. It makes mediocre players unguardable. It reminds me of what the NFL and NBA do to inflate scoring. The complaint a lot of people have - especially after watching the NCAA tournament last year - is that the game in the paint has become a rugby scrum, yet you can get called for breathing hard on someone on the perimeter. So yeah, this is what we needed, more hand check fouls. Ugh!

Besides what this would consistently do to our game times. I might as well have gone straight to the office and slept there last night.

The rewarding of good defense with a foul call is something we just can't have in the game. It makes mediocre players unguardable. It reminds me of what the NFL and NBA do to inflate scoring. The complaint a lot of people have - especially after watching the NCAA tournament last year - is that the game in the paint has become a rugby scrum, yet you can get called for breathing hard on someone on the perimeter. So yeah, this is what we needed, more hand check fouls. Ugh!

Bingo

Great win!

Note: Such a difficult game to watch, terrible officiating (even with slightly in Gophers' favor, IMO) - slowly turning the great sport of NCAA BB into the awful, FT shooting, star-biased, no-defense sport of NBA "basketball".

A lot of nice games for Gopher players tonight. Not sure where the team would be without Mathieu - a huge pickup for Pitino.

Take a look at NBA box scores and let me know how many games you find with 52 fouls (And they are 8 minutes longer!). That game last night wasn't the NBA.

I thought that was a very gutty effort. I really like this team. I think it's pretty clear to me that a lot of the problems in Maui stemmed from exhaustion. When this team has its legs under it, it's able to grind out results. I really liked what I saw from Mo on the rebounding end, although his finishing and defense left a lot to be desired. King and Oto work hard, and are tough. It's nice to see. And what can you say about our guard play? That's what won it for us. Great effort. Now let's just get some momentum going into the B1G (which looks weaker this year, in my opinion).

I thought that was a very gutty effort. I really like this team. I think it's pretty clear to me that a lot of the problems in Maui stemmed from exhaustion. When this team has its legs under it, it's able to grind out results. I really liked what I saw from Mo on the rebounding end, although his finishing and defense left a lot to be desired. King and Oto work hard, and are tough. It's nice to see. And what can you say about our guard play? That's what won it for us. Great effort. Now let's just get some momentum going into the B1G (which looks weaker this year, in my opinion).

That's the other thing I was thinking: timing is everything. Last year's Gopher team in this year's Big Ten? Nice thought.

That's the other thing I was thinking: timing is everything. Last year's Gopher team in this year's Big Ten? Nice thought.

A thought is all it can be. But I farted last night, it is a nice thought. It's in the past, and can only be talked about.

A thought is all it can be. But I farted last night, it is a nice thought. It's in the past, and can only be talked about.

OK, now you're the thought police? Spare us.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Barn was rocking last night! Got a big win over Florida State. Got to keep it going!!!! <a href="http://t.co/e76wK4fqlb">pic.twitter.com/e76wK4fqlb</a></p>— Kimani Young (@CoachKimani) <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachKimani/statuses/408352936528326661">December 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sorry if it's been covered already but somewhere in the middle of the second half Pitino was just in the face of and screaming at either Walker or King. I'm not sure I ever saw Tubby get in anyones face like that. I found it a bit refreshing.

Yes, Tubby got in the face of some players in his first couple of years here, before he seemed to lose all coaching passion and just sit and stare.

Top Bottom