GAME #15: Gophers (11-3, 0-1) v. Purdue (10-4, 0-1) [BTN, 1:30PM)

Pollyanna, mom and dad spent all that money to put you thru law school, and this is how you speak on a fan board? I beg to differ I'm pretending to know what I'm talking about. I played on the men's team in college, while you were practicing with the girl's team.

I also practiced with the girls team while in college. The best years of my life.

I think Pitino is right to focus on the positives from this game ( I was thinking to myself how enjoyable it was to just watch a B1G game that the Gophers put away early while watching the game) as the team did play some very good basketball for ~33 minutes or so. The game got really strange somewhere around the middle of the second half when the officials just seemed to allow Purdue to bump/reach on every possession from that point on. The most bizarre non-call had to be the Austin Hollins turnover near the top of the key when a Purdue guy ran in to Hollins from behind with such force that the Purdue player ended up sliding on his backside for 5 feet. Other than the one Austin Hollins turnover where he lost his footing in the back court, I didn't feel like the turnovers that occurred were of the shaky/panicked variety. On the offensive end, I thought we missed a lot of open shots/opportunities when Purdue was trying to come back (King letting a ball go through his hands, Malik, Andre and Austin missing wide open 3's). Defensively, there was a major breakdown and Coach Pitino mentioned a communication breakdown. I don't mean to single anyone out, but after several Purdue made jumpers, you could hear one of the players yelling JOEY!!!

To me, it really did seem to be the perfect storm that allowed Purdue to get back in to the game (got hot from the field, no or bad calls by the refs, and some poor shooting from the Gophers) as opposed to the Gophers choking. Up until Malik's last trip to the line, both Malik and Joey King did a nice job of knocking down some important free throws down the stretch. Obviously, it was really good to see both the Hollins' bounce back from a really rough Thursday. What can be said about Eliason? Kid had 6 blocks, a steal, no turnovers, shot 3-5 from the field and 2-2 from the line? Most impressive new wrinkle from Eliason today was beating the defense down the court for a layup (and he did it a second time off a turnover but the Gopher guard didn't see him).

Watching Film

So because you played limited minutes for an awful D3 school that gives you the ability to magically know exactly how good players are even if you haven't seen them play? That's impressive. If I join a men's league will I develop some of your powers? Or is it too late for me?
It's a long established practice on this board for a member to review film and offer an opinion. You see this much more often on the football side of the house. Just because a handful of members feel they control the board doesn't change this.

I'm sure Coach P. would be the first to tell you, he doesn't need his supporters, of which I am one, to grovel on their hands and knees in order to show their support, nor automatically criticize those who may question his actions. After all, it's only a game.

Go Gophers!

As far as the officiating: if the refs are calling a tight game, it's up to the players and coaches to adjust. The 1st time they call a touch foul, somebody has got to be telling everyone to be careful. Instead, they keep playing the same style and keep complaining.

Its almost like you didn't watch the game your insight is so off.

The refs were terrible.

What can be said about Eliason? Kid had 6 blocks, a steal, no turnovers, shot 3-5 from the field and 2-2 from the line? Most impressive new wrinkle from Eliason today was beating the defense down the court for a layup (and he did it a second time off a turnover but the Gopher guard didn't see him).

Thought for sure Eliason was going to have a heck of a time with Hammons. Boundoutpassdunk called it. Said something like if Hammons doesn't start out good, he'll disappear. Great game, great effort by EE.

It's a long established practice on this board for a member to review film and offer an opinion. You see this much more often on the football side of the house. Just because a handful of members feel they control the board doesn't change this.

I'm sure Coach P. would be the first to tell you, he doesn't need his supporters, of which I am one, to grovel on their hands and knees in order to show their support, nor automatically criticize those who may question his actions. After all, it's only a game.

Go Gophers!

The way you say "review film" is hilarious. They're highlight videos, not full game footage. Most people watch them to simply get a feel for a player while understanding they don't give you the full picture. You, on the other hand, seem to think they tell you 100% of what you need to know and come to conclusions immediately, which is ridiculous. I also personally think basketball highlights can be more deceiving than football highlights, which is why people put more stock into them on the football board. Most of those football videos are made so coaches and scouts can evaluate them, while most of the basketball videos are made simply for entertainment. I think that's something you fail to understand.

Put me in the category of not fussing over any victories in the B1G this year. I've seen so many brutal games against the Boilers over the years that I'm ecstatic about any win against them.

I was there and the refs were horrible. New faces in stripes this year do not appear to be any improvement over the recent past and maybe a downgrade. Frannie at Iowa was my temporary hero last night the way he went after the refs in their game after the Hawkeyes got hosed twice in the same sequence. B1G office needs to hear from followers that their refs are brutal.

Agree totally Holy Man. Good win. The refs were terrible and have been most of the year. Not only did Iowa get hosed twice on the same play, but I thought the refs enabled the Wisconsin comeback prior to that play. No way is Wisconsin a top ten team.

I'm not convinced McCaffery bumped the official, and if there was contact I think the ref may have initiated it.

I'll say this. If McCaffery gets suspended by the Big Ten for a breach of its sportsmanship policies, I'm going to laugh. This decision would come from the same Big Ten offices that refused to suspend an Ohio State football player for issuing a double-fingered salute to the Michigan crowd after getting kicked out of the game for throwing a punch. That wasn't a breach of sportsmanship? Fortunately, Urban Meyer did what the Big Ten offices didn't have the guts to do, deciding not to play him in the Big Ten championship game (though he did dress).

Fran, you the man!

I'm not convinced McCaffery bumped the official, and if there was contact I think the ref may have initiated it.

I'll say this. If McCaffery gets suspended by the Big Ten for a breach of its sportsmanship policies, I'm going to laugh. This decision would come from the same Big Ten offices that refused to suspend an Ohio State football player for issuing a double-fingered salute to the Michigan crowd after getting kicked out of the game for throwing a punch. That wasn't a breach of sportsmanship? Fortunately, Urban Meyer did what the Big Ten offices didn't have the guts to do, deciding not to play him in the Big Ten championship game (though he did dress).

Fran, you the man!

Big disappointment that Kelly did not go after the refs on the broadcast. Usually he is one of the better BTN color guys and I have not seen him to be a Badger Homer in the past, but his refusal to acknowledge that Frannie had a right to be pissed (even if he thought the reaction was over the top) was telling.

I too will be curious to see how the B1G reacts. Suspension not deserving, but it will be tough for the suits to allow the disrespect of the officials to go unpunished. Do they come up with some "the refs blew it, but he overeacted and needs to be punished" approach. If they let it go, we'll see coats flying all year with nothing but a technical. How about this response: "Our refs are bad and we're lookng to upgrade."

I think Pitino is right to focus on the positives from this game ( I was thinking to myself how enjoyable it was to just watch a B1G game that the Gophers put away early while watching the game) as the team did play some very good basketball for ~33 minutes or so. The game got really strange somewhere around the middle of the second half when the officials just seemed to allow Purdue to bump/reach on every possession from that point on. The most bizarre non-call had to be the Austin Hollins turnover near the top of the key when a Purdue guy ran in to Hollins from behind with such force that the Purdue player ended up sliding on his backside for 5 feet. Other than the one Austin Hollins turnover where he lost his footing in the back court, I didn't feel like the turnovers that occurred were of the shaky/panicked variety. On the offensive end, I thought we missed a lot of open shots/opportunities when Purdue was trying to come back (King letting a ball go through his hands, Malik, Andre and Austin missing wide open 3's). Defensively, there was a major breakdown and Coach Pitino mentioned a communication breakdown. I don't mean to single anyone out, but after several Purdue made jumpers, you could hear one of the players yelling JOEY!!!

To me, it really did seem to be the perfect storm that allowed Purdue to get back in to the game (got hot from the field, no or bad calls by the refs, and some poor shooting from the Gophers) as opposed to the Gophers choking. Up until Malik's last trip to the line, both Malik and Joey King did a nice job of knocking down some important free throws down the stretch. Obviously, it was really good to see both the Hollins' bounce back from a really rough Thursday. What can be said about Eliason? Kid had 6 blocks, a steal, no turnovers, shot 3-5 from the field and 2-2 from the line? Most impressive new wrinkle from Eliason today was beating the defense down the court for a layup (and he did it a second time off a turnover but the Gopher guard didn't see him).

Shortly after that there was a timeout, and Richard gave Joey some personal attention before huddling the team.

Thought for sure Eliason was going to have a heck of a time with Hammons. Boundoutpassdunk called it. Said something like if Hammons doesn't start out good, he'll disappear. Great game, great effort by EE.

I was surprised at how little they even tried to get him the ball.

Watching Film Revisited

The way you say "review film" is hilarious. They're highlight videos, not full game footage. Most people watch them to simply get a feel for a player while understanding they don't give you the full picture. You, on the other hand, seem to think they tell you 100% of what you need to know and come to conclusions immediately, which is ridiculous. I also personally think basketball highlights can be more deceiving than football highlights, which is why people put more stock into them on the football board. Most of those football videos are made so coaches and scouts can evaluate them, while most of the basketball videos are made simply for entertainment. I think that's something you fail to understand.

Football film is less deceiving than basketball film. One is for recruiting, the other is for entertainment. Okay.

Top Bottom