Gage Keys enters transfer portal

No surprise here . We need a big upgrade to our pass rush. I know every program looks for star DL’s but that’s one of the next steps in improving our D.

didn't do much, so no real loss. We can replace him with someone better.

This will not be the only DL that will transfer.

didn't do much, so no real loss. We can replace him with someone better.

This will not be the only DL that will transfer.

well, they "may" replace him with someone better.

Whether they do remains to be seen.

DL has been really tough to recruit to MN. if the Gophers can't find a way to get more pressure with the DL, they have to start blitzing. can't let QB's sit back there forever.

DL has been really tough to recruit to MN. if the Gophers can't find a way to get more pressure with the DL, they have to start blitzing. can't let QB's sit back there forever.
Agree. And we've had some high motor LBs under Fleck, but I thought Kill/Claeys/Sawvel did a real good job with the LBs when here and we need to have a little better unit there as well. Rossi got peak production out of a group that wasn't actually brimming with raw talent.

The portal giveth and the portal taketh away. I think we would all agree that thus far, we’ve been doing very well with it.

I think the dline has been solid. Doesn’t always get the most pressure when rushing just three or four, but they had good depth and Joyner and Striggow should only get better.

I think the dline has been solid. Doesn’t always get the most pressure when rushing just three or four, but they had good depth and Joyner and Striggow should only get better.
The ends are doing kinda OK but the DT group are terrible pass rushers get no push and the QBs step up and avoid the ends.

In year 3, he played 2 snaps yesterday. This is no real loss at all.

Some of the Gophs' highest rated recruits have been D Linemen the past couple years that have barely seen the field yet. I'm hoping for some upside starting next year.

I think the Baugh (FCS transfer) and Trill Carter were the starting interior DL and Logan-Redding and Richter were the next two in. Gage maybe the 5th guy?

Best of luck to him!

The ends are doing kinda OK but the DT group are terrible pass rushers get no push and the QBs step up and avoid the ends.
Mafe and Otumwo? were very good at playing with contain last year. This year the d ends didn’t and often pushed too deep allowing the qb to slip through.

Speculation elsewhere on the internet that a 2022 DL commit (not Anthony Smith who is our best of the bunch) will hit the portal. This would mean it would have to be either Bixby or Hayden Schwarz from Florida. Will be an interesting next week. Take FWIW

Speculation elsewhere on the internet that a 2022 DL commit (not Anthony Smith who is our best of the bunch) will hit the portal. This would mean it would have to be either Bixby or Hayden Schwarz from Florida. Will be an interesting next week. Take FWIW
Yeah, it's always a scary time of the year. But we have probably (properly) over recruited this position and if you're a a FR DE and you see you're behind two guys in your own class and a number of SOs, it makes sense.

Yeah, it's always a scary time of the year. But we have probably (properly) over recruited this position and if you're a a FR DE and you see you're behind two guys in your own class and a number of SOs, it makes sense.

If I had to guess, Schwarz would seem more likely of those two. Especially due to Bixby's Dad's connections to the Gopher program

If I had to guess, Schwarz would seem more likely of those two. Especially due to Bixby's Dad's connections to the Gopher program

Loosely related to the topic in this thread, it's interesting how the portal has changed recruiting. It's made it much more like a business, if you're buried in the depth chart and you want to transfer, it's good for both parties to find a better situation.

I work with a guy whose kid is being recruited by some schools in Texas and their approach to the portal is part of the pitch now. Essentially, saying things like "if for whatever reason you need to move on, we'll work really hard to find you another opportunity".

HS coaches reach out to former players to see how their coaches handled the portal like did Fleck really work to help Nate Umlor (picking a name out of a hat) to find a good landing spot?

Loosely related to the topic in this thread, it's interesting how the portal has changed recruiting. It's made it much more like a business, if you're buried in the depth chart and you want to transfer, it's good for both parties to find a better situation.

I work with a guy whose kid is being recruited by some schools in Texas and their approach to the portal is part of the pitch now. Essentially, saying things like "if for whatever reason you need to move on, we'll work really hard to find you another opportunity".

HS coaches reach out to former players to see how their coaches handled the portal like did Fleck really work to help Nate Umlor (picking a name out of a hat) to find a good landing spot?
They are connected but the free transfer without sitting out is a far bigger issue than the portal. If guys still had to sit out a year you would see way fewer transfers

I had already forgotten about Gage Keys!

I think with Baugh being brought in, and with Logan-Redding moving or will be moving to 3tech, that was why he decided to leave.

Also with Schuster and Eastern coming up
With all the Washington talk in a couple other threads, this makes me wonder what has happened with Schuster??

A kid we “stole” out of WA state, then they turned around and “stole” the big Moorhead DL. (No idea if he’s still there)

Looks like he got a lot of playing time at KU.
Played 10 games with 21 tackles. He played, but Booker had a much better season. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. I think he still has 2-3 years of eligibility.

Top Bottom