Gabe

hail minnesota

Reaction score
Gabe Anybody think maybe Gabe needs glasses? It happened to a Gopher BB player a few years back. He got the specs and viola, the shots started going in again. I had the same experience myself: the sight thing got gradually worse--I didn't
suspect anything. Finally got them checked and I was half blind. (Hyperbole)

What Gabe needs is guys who can create his shots for him. He's taking a lot of hurried shots right now because they don't come organically. He takes off-balance shots after guys close out hard, he takes pull-up (rushed) transition 3-pointers. The best (most frequent shots that I'd consider in his wheelhouse) looks he gets are even tough ones where he's using a series of screens and either curling or fading.

Gabe is a 3-and-D guy. He doesn't have the ability to create his own offense, so he needs guys (or designed plays) to manufacture his offense. This Gopher team doesn't have enough guys who can get to the paint, collapse defenders and get Gabe good looks frequent enough.

That's not to say his poor shooting has been acceptable because he has gotten looks throughout the year that a guy who is considered a good shooter knocks down. I don't think he's going to be classified as a sniper (45 percent plus) over his career, but he needs to be a 35-40 percent guy if he's ever going to be more than the 5th best player on a team that can compete in the top half of the Big 10 and make a tourney run.

What Gabe needs is guys who can create his shots for him. He's taking a lot of hurried shots right now because they don't come organically. He takes off-balance shots after guys close out hard, he takes pull-up (rushed) transition 3-pointers. The best (most frequent shots that I'd consider in his wheelhouse) looks he gets are even tough ones where he's using a series of screens and either curling or fading.

Gabe is a 3-and-D guy. He doesn't have the ability to create his own offense, so he needs guys (or designed plays) to manufacture his offense. This Gopher team doesn't have enough guys who can get to the paint, collapse defenders and get Gabe good looks frequent enough.

That's not to say his poor shooting has been acceptable because he has gotten looks throughout the year that a guy who is considered a good shooter knocks down. I don't think he's going to be classified as a sniper (45 percent plus) over his career, but he needs to be a 35-40 percent guy if he's ever going to be more than the 5th best player on a team that can compete in the top half of the Big 10 and make a tourney run.

Gabe has that. He has missed so many wide open 3s this year it is impossible to count. There are games he missed 5 threes standing still by himself. What more do you want for him?

Gabe needs a psychologist to put this season behind him. Watch him in warm ups....he never misses. The bright lights come on and he's been terrible.

I know he's a great kid, but lets tell it like it is. That free throw at the end of the Maryland game was nothing but a CHOKE---he BARELY drew iron. I just hope he can just flush this season and come back strong next year.

Let's hope he stays here (I have no info that he does leave). Could go and be appreciated elsewhere and he is obviously frustrated. He's a tough kid, he will move on and put up better percentages

Yup, if I was Gabe I’d transfer. Pitino plays him too many minutes. He only sits because of serious foul trouble.
I’m guessing he’d prefer a coach who sits him down after he starts nearly every game Ofer.
Talk about choking...transferring would be gutless.
I do not see that possibility.

Yup, if I was Gabe I’d transfer. Pitino plays him too many minutes. He only sits because of serious foul trouble.
I’m guessing he’d prefer a coach who sits him down after he starts nearly every game Ofer.
Talk about choking...transferring would be gutless.
I do not see that possibility.

Lol guys don't just transfer because of lack of playing time. Amir almost transferred after sophomore year. Tons of guys grad transfer too who play tons of minutes.

Make some shots. Terrible year for Gabe. Klink, klank, klunk!

Let's hope he stays here (I have no info that he does leave). Could go and be appreciated elsewhere and he is obviously frustrated. He's a tough kid, he will move on and put up better percentages
Kalescheur isn’t appreciated? Who exactly at his current school doesn’t appreciate him?

Gabe had paralysis by analysis on his shot this season, but the man is easily the best defender on the team and gave us multiple other reasons to win games just by virtue of his defensive prowess alone. I have nothing but respect for Gabe Kalscheur.

Gabe has made 8 3s today.

I think Gabe projects an aura of calmness and been-there-done-that but I think inside he feels the game stress and pressure as much as anyone. I think the pressure has impacted his play to an extent this year. Everyone expected him to sort of be the man this year and frankly its not suited to him.

Hope Gabe can relax and just play the game the way he knows how.

I think Gabe projects an aura of calmness and been-there-done-that but I think inside he feels the game stress and pressure as much as anyone. I think the pressure has impacted his play to an extent this year. Everyone expected him to sort of be the man this year and frankly its not suited to him.

Hope Gabe can relax and just play the game the way he knows how.
Yep, Gabe is no Sam Merrill. Gabe is a catch in rhythm shooter, not a make your own space a drain it on a defender shooter. Also, he isn't the type of guy who wants the ball in his hands when a basket is needed.

Glad to see Gabe have a good game today. He’s really fun to watch when he’s “on”. He has just been so streaky this year. Would his shooting % have been higher if he didn’t have to play so d*!# much?

It's hard to evaluate anything when you're playing against Nebraska. Is it a coincidence that Demir had his best game of the season?

I see this in HS ball all the time. A team runs up a big score against a bad team, and looks real good. then they go into the section tournament, start playing strong opposition, and all of a sudden, they don't look so hot.

Gabe seems like a decent guy. He also seems like a streak shooter. One game he makes 7 of 10 shots. the next game he might make 2 of 10. some guys are just like that.

Yep, Gabe is no Sam Merrill. Gabe is a catch in rhythm shooter, not a make your own space a drain it on a defender shooter. Also, he isn't the type of guy who wants the ball in his hands when a basket is needed.
Merrill is also 23 years old. As a 19-20 yr freshman he average 9.3 points in the MWC.

Just to note...Gabe traveled on the play.
The great thing about being a Minnesota sports fan is how we get more than our fair share of calls from officials. I totally understand feeling it is necessary to fall on the sword in shame for getting a call 15 months ago. In fact, I felt that whole game that the refs had $ on the Gophers. Why is it we get all the breaks?

It's hard to evaluate anything when you're playing against Nebraska. Is it a coincidence that Demir had his best game of the season?

I see this in HS ball all the time. A team runs up a big score against a bad team, and looks real good. then they go into the section tournament, start playing strong opposition, and all of a sudden, they don't look so hot.

Gabe seems like a decent guy. He also seems like a streak shooter. One game he makes 7 of 10 shots. the next game he might make 2 of 10. some guys are just like that.
He will bounce back with a better year shooting but to my eye he did other things very well.

I agree about having good games against bad teams. Its kind of like in baseball where a guy hits all of his homeruns when the team is up or down by more than 5 runs.

Easier to hit that open jumper with nothing on the line. If Gabe shoots half that good in the entire season, gophers are top 20 team looking like a 4-5 seed. All of those close losses were 1 or 2 Gabe 3's away from becoming wins

I understand that Gabe has missed more shots this year than we all would like.

Gabe has also had really good games against good teams. Unlike a lot of other shooters, he has tremendous value to the team even when the shot is not falling. He is our best perimeter defender and it's not even close.

There are not a lot of shooters in this league expected to be the best perimeter defender for 33+ minutes per game. It's a lot. NBA players struggle with those dual responsibilities because it is really hard to have fresh legs while doing that.

For a point of reference, the same thing happened to Blake his SO season. He was asked to do more (not as much as Gabe), and his 3P% dropped to 34.1%. These guys aren't used to shooting under those circumstances.

I think Gabe's shooting percentage pops back up a bit if he is playing 28-30 MPG or if we had additional defenders who could give him a break on defense.

We ask a lot from Gabe and he has been pretty good. Our program has a lot of warts, I don't think an elite perimeter defender who leads the Big 10 in threes is our biggest problem. I would love his percentage to be closer to 38-42% on threes and I think it will be. If he is able to hold that down while defending like he does, he will be one of the better Gophers in memory.

Gabe has also had really good games against good teams. Unlike a lot of other shooters, he has tremendous value to the team even when the shot is not falling. He is our best perimeter defender and it's not even close.

There are not a lot of shooters in this league expected to be the best perimeter defender for 33+ minutes per game. It's a lot. NBA players struggle with those dual responsibilities because it is really hard to have fresh legs while doing that.

For a point of reference, the same thing happened to Blake his SO season. He was asked to do more (not as much as Gabe), and his 3P% dropped to 34.1%. These guys aren't used to shooting under those circumstances.

I think Gabe's shooting percentage pops back up a bit if he is playing 28-30 MPG or if we had additional defenders who could give him a break on defense.

We ask a lot from Gabe and he has been pretty good. Our program has a lot of warts, I don't think an elite perimeter defender who leads the Big 10 in threes is our biggest problem. I would love his percentage to be closer to 38-42% on threes and I think it will be. If he is able to hold that down while defending like he does, he will be one of the better Gophers in memory.
Gabe is a good player and a really good defender. Unfortunately, until yesterday he shot 25% on three pointers in Big Ten games while shooting volumes of them (about 130). That hurt us badly. It is also a reason for optimism for next year because he is too good of a shooter to do that again. I think it will help that Mashburn (assuming he comes) and perhaps others are on board to take some of his minutes. I think he would be a better player at 25-30 minutes per game.

Great post!! People who are saying Gabe is not a B1G quality player are really missing out on a wonderful player and don't respect his value.

Gabe is a good player and a really good defender. Unfortunately, until yesterday he shot 25% on three pointers in Big Ten games while shooting volumes of them (about 130). That hurt us badly. It is also a reason for optimism for next year because he is too good of a shooter to do that again. I think it will help that Mashburn (assuming he comes) and perhaps others are on board to take some of his minutes. I think he would be a better player at 25-30 minutes per game.

I think Gabe needs to match the same amount of minutes that the other teams best wing plays.

I think Gabe needs to match the same amount of minutes that the other teams best wing plays.
Well, I don't think that athletically, Gabe is a match for most Big Ten wings. I think he does it on smarts and effort. I think he works awfully hard for what he gets and that is to his credit.

Top Bottom