Frank Mitchell commits

Clifford Omoruyi is still available! Doesn't sound like gophers contacted him at all either from Rutgers.

Clifford Omoruyi is still available! Doesn't sound like gophers contacted him at all either from Rutgers.
That, I’m actually not shocked about him commanding a lot; he should get paid more than anyone I’ve seen in the portal. He is worth the money.

Although, I didn’t watch Ballo play.

From what I see and read about Frank, this is perhaps an even switch and may be an upgrade. If he has a healthy back and good hands, that weighs the scale on the side of an upgrade. Go Gophers!

Now fill out the roster, Ben!

One game Frank was 2 for 12 on free throws. Ouch
Not too often you see players score in double figures, but gather more rebounds than points. Mitchell did it 5 times last season.
Yes, 2-12 at the line is leaving a lot of points on the table. But it's also drawing a lot of fouls on the opposing bigs.

I’d take Isaiah Gray (Cornell), Keenan Fitzmorris 7'/260(Stan/SB) and Carrington coming back. Boom. I prefer physical ball handlers/drivers/slashers like Gray/Carrington at the expense of spot shooters from 3. With Garcia, Hawkins, Christie, MMitchell we would be fine on the perimeter. At least with this we would know everyone can defend at a high level, which is overlooked by a lot of people in search of the shiny object.
Johnson simply cannot count on Christie returning, unless Cam has told him for sure that he will as soon as he gets NBA feedback. If Ben does not have that assurance he needs to be looking for another good shooter. You can't win in college basketball without three point shooters.

Frank the Tank needs Isaiah Gray and Huffman. We’d come out just fine.
We can only probably get one out of the two. Can’t afford or get enough playing time for both. If Christie leaves, they will need to get a better shooting/scoring wing.
Okay, so the whole idea here is to get better. It seems to me Frank is either equal or better than Payne. This also was the most worrisome and hardest spot to fill, so awesome beginning. And, if we get 2,3,4 more solid transfers....we actually could be good.
not better. Just fits next to Garcia better

No one has either confirmed nor denied my memory, but I believe Payne has bad hands (not Konate hands), but still a lot of balls slipping through even on catchable passes and boardable balls.
Your memory is OK. But some of those "catchable" passes were bounce passes through a forest of arms and legs in the lane that would tax the reflexes of a good third baseman. Hawkins has some learning to do regarding who his passes are intended for and weighing the risk/reward based on that reality.

If it's Dawson down there, give it a try. Payne? No. Big Frank? We'll see.

Go get Jevon Porter now! Sounds like he is also going to Missouri too with Perkins and possibly Mark Mitchell. We should get Mark Mitchell so we could have The 3 Mitchells :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Porters family has lived on and off in Columbia Missouri for years. Youngest sister is in HS there. Brother is banned from the NBA

One variable I have not seen yet mentioned, was Pharrell Payne’s back injury. Every time he landed hard I cringed and held my breath until he was able to come back in the game again.

Seems like we are trading a higher potential and rim protection, for better rebounding and a healthier player.
Take the rebounding all day. We were not a good rebounding team last year and it hurt most in giving the other team offensive boards and second and third chances to score.

We can only probably get one out of the two. Can’t afford or get enough playing time for both. If Christie leaves, they will need to get a better shooting/scoring wing.

not better. Just fits next to Garcia better
Perhaps you're correct. Felt like last year we could really use one more Gaurd. Which would be Asuma (assuming Christie back). Gray and Carrington played roughly the same minutes. so that is a wash. Your probably killing my dreams. Now your saying I can't have my cake and eat it.

One variable I have not seen yet mentioned, was Pharrell Payne’s back injury. Every time he landed hard I cringed and held my breath until he was able to come back in the game again.

Seems like we are trading a higher potential and rim protection, for better rebounding and a healthier player.
Chronic back issues tend to remain chronic back issues, especially when the athlete was having those issues not necessarily from direct falls or contact.

My gut feeling is wherever he ends up, he will miss extended time when the back flares up again unless he can get it permanently fixed.

Marcus chimes in:

Canisius transfer Frank Mitchell adds a physical presence to the frontcourt for Gophers coach Ben Johnson with his commitment Wednesday.

The 6-8, 240-pound Mitchell committed after his two-day official visit with the Gophers men's basketball team. The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference second-team performer picked Minnesota over Texas Christian and Missouri, and he has two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Mitchell averaged 12.1 points and 11.6 rebounds, the latter of which ranked fourth nationally this past season. Mitchell had 15 double-doubles and 12 games with at least 14 rebounds for the Golden Griffins in the 2023-24 season.

In his last regular-season game, Mitchell had 13 points, a career-high 22 rebounds and four blocks in an overtime win against Manhattan. He also had 12 points and 21 rebounds in a loss to Rider in January.

Go Gophers!!

Maybe it's two?!?!
According to the Canisius website he sat out an entire season due to “NCAA transfer rules” only playing one season for them and one in Canada. This presents an interesting case on eligibility. Does he get back the year he sat out due to the NCAA giving up the fight on transfer rules? If he does, he gets two more. If not, only one.

According to the Canisius website he sat out an entire season due to “NCAA transfer rules” only playing one season for them and one in Canada. This presents an interesting case on eligibility. Does he get back the year he sat out due to the NCAA giving up the fight on transfer rules? If he does, he gets two more. If not, only one.
At this point it seems like a waste of time to worry about anything beyond the roster for the current season. Chances are it is going to look very different the following year anyway.

Hopefully his game translates well. Rebounding should—still the same size ball and same height hoop.

Top Bottom