Foundations crumbling

I don’t know what to believe anymore. I’m just gonna sit back, try not to overreact, and watch it play out. We’re in a different era, so there’s honestly no predicting how things might turn out. I thought PJ did pretty well with the portal at first, but this year it was probably a net negative. With NIL heating up in addition to the portal, who knows.

I don’t know what to believe anymore. I’m just gonna sit back, try not to overreact, and watch it play out. We’re in a different era, so there’s honestly no predicting how things might turn out. I thought PJ did pretty well with the portal at first, but this year it was probably a net negative. With NIL heating up in addition to the portal, who knows.
This is the correct response
It is possible that Illinois was the beginning of the end.
It is also possible that Illinois and northwestern helped the coach notice some things that need changing.

The correct answer is to wait and see

That won't happen.
I tend to agree.
Need lower level teams for media markets, need them for wins

Plus:
No one would ever vote for someone else to get kicked out. Because they could be next on the chopping block

It is more likely 3-4 teams leave to form a super league than they are to kick people out.

I tend to agree.
Need lower level teams for media markets, need them for wins

Plus:
No one would ever vote for someone else to get kicked out. Because they could be next on the chopping block

It is more likely 3-4 teams leave to form a super league than they are to kick people out.
Putting together a "Super League" doesn't work either. As you stated, somebody has to lose games. You either end up with the same, a handful of elite teams, a second tier of good teams, and another group of bottom dwellers; or you end up with a league that has so much parity that it's neither super...or elite.

Putting together a "Super League" doesn't work either. As you stated, somebody has to lose games. You either end up with the same, a handful of elite teams, a second tier of good teams, and another group of bottom dwellers; or you end up with a league that has so much parity that it's neither super...or elite.
The European super league fell apart because the middle and bottom level teams simply said okay we are never playing you again. And they backed down because of the things you mentioned

As recently as last summer I felt like the football program was on a solid foundation.
Competitive, and stable. Strong along both lines. Good coaching. Almost everyone buying in and rowing in the same direction.

Today, it feels just the opposite. Turmoil. Defections. Back-biting. Questionable talent.
The entire program has the feel of INstability.

Based on.....? The quarterback that we've been bitching about all year as being not good enough entering the transfer portal?

As recently as last summer I felt like the football program was on a solid foundation.
Competitive, and stable. Strong along both lines. Good coaching. Almost everyone buying in and rowing in the same direction.

Today, it feels just the opposite. Turmoil. Defections. Back-biting. Questionable talent.
It’s the world of NIL and transfer portal. College football is changed forever.

It’s almost everywhere though. Outside of 10 to 15 schools, everyone is in total turmoil.
Even Ohio State and Penn State consider themselves in total turmoil because they didn't win them all. Ohio State has a better chance of firing their coach this offseason than Minnesota does.

And let's not even get started on Michigan and drama...

Boy, that does not feel like a solid strategy. Feels like Gophs would be chasing and not catching a lot of players.
Why? Minnesota is an attractive place to play football, especially if you are coming from a smaller program. It's also a good place to transfer and stay in the big leagues if you are a backup at a blue blood.

We got a few all-conference level guys from G5 schools last year and even without a bunch of money or passing I bet Minnesota attracts a quality veteran QB who's had success at that level.

It's up to the coaches and the players themselves to shape that into a winning team, but the Gophers will get plenty of interest. This is the Big 18. We play games against Purdue and Illinois on NBC and CBS at 2:30 nowadays. We'll have plenty of guys swipe right on Goldy.

Imagine in the not-too-distant future that the B1G wants to add a few more attractive schools and decides to kick out the dead weight. Not so funny anymore, is it?
Has any of the conference shuffling that has taken place ever involved a conference kicking a team out? I just don't see that happening. If at some point Minnesota leaves the Big Ten (highly unlikely) it won't be because they were kicked out it will be because they chose to leave.

Imagine in the not-too-distant future that the B1G wants to add a few more attractive schools and decides to kick out the dead weight. Not so funny anymore, is it?
Not if you're WI and IA. 🙂

The European super league fell apart because the middle and bottom level teams simply said okay we are never playing you again. And they backed down because of the things you mentioned
I wonder if NoDak and UMD fans ever thought the marquee programs in their hockey league would ever dare form a super league...

It's about money. People want more OSU vs. Oregon and less Rutgers vs. Indiana, It's where we're headed.

I wonder if NoDak and UMD fans ever thought the marquee programs in their hockey league would ever dare form a super league...

It's about money. People want more OSU vs. Oregon and less Rutgers vs. Indiana, It's where we're headed.
They can do that, but some of those teams will sink if they do. Just like Vandy, Arky, Miss St and South Carolina in the SEC. Someone has to take the role at the bottom.

"Foundations crumbling"?

Good grief. At times, Gopher Hole can be absolutely hilarious.

Can you imagine being in a group situation, facing true adversity or a real crisis with some of these doom-and-gloomers?

"Sorry I had to throw that cup of cold water in your face, man, but you were becoming hysterical."

I kind of disagree here. Not disagreeing and saying they won’t break off. Disagree with Saying if they break off more people will watch.

People from Rutgers and Indiana and Minnesota and Oregon state will all watch OSU vs Oregon because it’s the best teams in their leagues playing each other.
If it’s another league/level I’m not sure as many people watch Oregon vs Ohio state

If Michigan, Penn state, Ohio state, UsC, Texas, Alabama break off and only play each other. I won’t watch any of that. I’d be more likely to watch an Iowa vs Kansas state game.

Sure it is a higher level of football. But it isn’t the highest. It’s lower level than non NFL pro leagues I don’t watch.

The European Super league makes more sense than a college football super league.
The college football super league isn’t even close to the best American football in the world. The reason I watch the big brands is because the team I watch is loosely affiliated with the big brands.

If there is nothing connecting teams 17-133 in college football to teams 1-16 in college football…a lot of fans from teams 17-133 who currently watch teams 1-16 won’t anymore.

You could make the argument that NCHC is the super league created after the B1G teams left.

Has any of the conference shuffling that has taken place ever involved a conference kicking a team out? I just don't see that happening. If at some point Minnesota leaves the Big Ten (highly unlikely) it won't be because they were kicked out it will be because they chose to leave.
Temple was kicked out of the Big East (when that was considered a power conference) in 2004. They came back to the re-named AAC in 2012.

Last edited:

"Foundations crumbling"?

Can you imagine being in a group situation, facing true adversity or a real crisis with some of these doom-and-gloomers?

"Sorry I had to throw that cup of cold water in your face, man, but you were becoming hysterical."
I have always kind of wondered if the posters that seem to be negative about everything are like that in real life as well with things or if it is just an online deal.

- Turmoil - hard to know without being inside of the program. I haven't seen any signs of turmoil (fighting, arguing, teammates calling each other out, etc)
- Defections - Hard to get too worked up about transfers in college athletics in 2023. It is going to happen. It is worse than the NFL because at least in the NFL there are contracts. College sports are truly year to year.
- Questionable Talent - Agree

I think a flaw I see is that PJ is too loyal to certain assistants...

"Foundations crumbling"?

No

Top Bottom