Foundations crumbling

USAF

Reaction score
As recently as last summer I felt like the football program was on a solid foundation.
Competitive, and stable. Strong along both lines. Good coaching. Almost everyone buying in and rowing in the same direction.

Today, it feels just the opposite. Turmoil. Defections. Back-biting. Questionable talent.
The entire program has the feel of INstability.

As recently as last summer I felt like the football program was on a solid foundation.
Competitive, and stable. Strong along both lines. Good coaching. Almost everyone buying in and rowing in the same direction.

Today, it feels just the opposite. Turmoil. Defections. Back-biting. Questionable talent.
Are you talking about Gopherhole?

panic-the-sky-is-falling.gif

I think the transfers last season from the d was the start. And unless pj can drastically up his game, it doesn't look good.

Last summer I already thought you were unstable

Glad you are recognizing it

It'll be interesting to see what happens the next week.

Athan is no surprise. He really struggled here and we are actively looking for a portal player to replace him. He has two years left, it makes sense that he'd move on while we are looking for his replacement. I'll be interested to see what kind of offers he gets.

Imagine how Washington State & Oregon State feel compared to just 8 months ago. It could be worse.
Maybe we can work out some sort of wierd program swap - like the North Stars when the roster was split and a Cleveland team came into being. Or was it San Jose? Or both? Anyhow, we take OSU's squad, or WSU's, they take our ready made for Mountain West Squad, and a player to be named later and 3% of our gate.

With Fleck recruiting at the very bottom of the Big 10, why do you think this program was on a solid foundation?

People seem to think that the problem with Fleck's management is his in-game coaching. While that's conservative, the problem is he a bad recruiter.

In year 7, he's built a program below-average players and no depth.

Fleck's been bringing our Gophers to the bottom of the Big 10 for a few years now. It's just now so blatantly obvious that even his biggest defenders cannot ignore it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens the next week.

Athan is no surprise. He really struggled here and we are actively looking for a portal player to replace him. He has two years left, it makes sense that he'd move on while we are looking for his replacement. I'll be interested to see what kind of offers he gets.
I think he ends up on a Big Ten roster next year.

Viotto transferring makes me feel a bit better because with virtually no remaining competition on the roster, it seems like he would stay unless Fleck pushed him out. And I don’t think Fleck would push either out w/out some reasonable confidence we could get a reliable QB in the portal.

My biggest concern is the seeming lack of leadership from players who could return next season for the team to rally behind. Would love for it to be Taylor, but who knows if he’s staying.

I think he ends up on a Big Ten roster next year.
Yeah, it'll be interesting. There are going to be a lot of QBs available. We'll see if he transfers to play or transfers for a change in environment.

OSU just offered Ward. I wonder if both McCord and Brown transfer out?

Maybe we can work out some sort of wierd program swap - like the North Stars when the roster was split and a Cleveland team came into being. Or was it San Jose? Or both? Anyhow, we take OSU's squad, or WSU's, they take our ready made for Mountain West Squad, and a player to be named later and 3% of our gate.
The Cleveland Barons (originally the Oakland Seals) merged with the North Stars when both teams were in bad shape. The team remained in Minnesota. The North Stars then split years later to form the San Jose Sharks, essentially bringing a team back to the bay area from where they came.

The Barons were the last team of any of the big 4 North American sports to go under.

He sure proved me correct

I said he would be no better than Mertz. And he had a lower QB rating than Mertz had in each of Mertz’ Wisconsin seasons
He sure proved you incorrect last Saturday.

I’m sure a lot programs are in the same boat with the free transfers and NIL now in full swing. I think it goes far deeper than who we have as HC unfortunately.

Or it’s being reinforced by making room for the coaches to recruit in the portal. It will get interesting if coaching changes start to happen.
Boy, that does not feel like a solid strategy. Feels like Gophs would be chasing and not catching a lot of players.

I’m super prone to overreaction, because I love gophers football, but this whole portal thing until the dust settles who knows what will be negative or positive. Truly just have to wait.

It’s almost everywhere though. Outside of 10 to 15 schools, everyone is in total turmoil.

The Cleveland Barons (originally the Oakland Seals) merged with the North Stars when both teams were in bad shape. The team remained in Minnesota. The North Stars then split years later to form the San Jose Sharks, essentially bringing a team back to the bay area from where they came.

The Barons were the last team of any of the big 4 North American sports to go under.
Why about the Kansas City Scouts? Cleveland merged with the Stars but I think the Scouts folded.

Top Bottom