Former Gopher big man David Holmgren: If Coyle truly wants to make a splash, keep kids home, win, do it playing an exciting brand of basketball

Well for the most part we all agree RP wasnt a great X's and O's coach, I have no idea if Mr. Suggs is, but if he is bringing in Chet and the 5* brigade SIGN ME UP! Mike Boynton and Andy Endfield had 0 issue bringing on people to get superstars, i see no reason we cant. (this is satire, well kind of ha)

What is Larry Suggs coaching background? Is he an AAU coach?

From what I've seen of Dave's other online commentary, I would not put too much stock into anything he says and it looks like he is trying to do a favor for a friend. Not saying Suggs can't coach, but get real Holmgren.

Hiring Larry as an assistant to be in charge of player development would be plausible.

And if we are going to change our approach to AAU recruiting, this is part of the drill. KU has been making these hires for years. As have many other programs. I have no idea if Suggs can help us land some of the top MN players, but Kyle Lindsted certainly didn't. We can roll our eyes at the coaches that do this, or we can play the game. Hiring top AAU coaches for a staff position should not be beneath us.

Go Gophers!!

And if we are going to change our approach to AAU recruiting, this is part of the drill. KU has been making these hires for years. As have many other programs. I have no idea if Suggs can help us land some of the top MN players, but Kyle Lindsted certainly didn't. We can roll our eyes at the coaches that do this, or we can play the game. Hiring top AAU coaches for a staff position should not be beneath us.

Go Gophers!!
Correct - as only Nebraska was beneath us this year.

Last edited:

Go Gophers!!

Kansas also pays players. That helps.

Can’t find any info on Larry Suggs. Did he play college ball? Does he have a degree as required to be a D1 coach? It seems like he is a very well liked coach and in interviews it sounds like he is good guy.

Maybe bring him in as an assistant and let him grow into the very difficult job of a B1G head coach. Of course his first assignment would be to get Jalen to transfer in and play with Chet for next year....

Go Gophers!!

As long as it isn't the tail wagging the dog.

Here's what I could find (maybe someone remembers him from his HS days) -

The Suggs athletic tree​

Athletic talent runs in Jalen Suggs' family tree. Here's a sampling:​

Part of the athletic Suggs family tree

Rickey Suggs, a 1980 Mr.Basketball finalist. Daughter Raena plays basketball for Hopkins. Sons Rickey Jr. and Renard were top players at Woodbury and played in college.

His brother, Donald Suggs, is the father of Terrell Suggs, who plays pro football for Baltimore.

DeMar Suggs and Dion Suggs-Young were star basketball players at St. Paul Johnson a decade apart.

Darren Suggs was an all-metro football wide receiver at St. Paul Highland Park in 2004.

Sherri Suggs played for the Highland Park girls’ basketball team that reached the 1986 Class 2A state championship game.

Larry Suggs, a cousin of Rickey’s, played basketball for Woodbury and in junior college. He is the father of Jalen Suggs, enrolled at Minnehaha Academy and one of the state’s best players.

Go Gophers!!
It will probably get us on probation too...

Sounds like Holmgren is advocating cronyism and not so subtle blackmail if said cronyism doesn't take place.
Hopefully Coyle isn't so short sighted, but if Holmgren represents the politics of tge AAU circuit, it creates an environment that has nothing to do with student athlete and integrity of the University.
I want to win as much as the next person, but I want to win with integrity, not sleezy backstreet wheeling and dealing.

Larry Suggs I believe would be awesome as an assistant. Yes the unknown of no college degree is a concern. Lets face it, I would think he has a galore of contacts in Minnesota as to the coaches. In addition people have spoken highly of him over the years.

I'm not concerned about the lack of playing career. He appears to be a solid student of the game and that all that matters.

Where’s the guy who says Holmgren owes it to the “U” to send Chet our way because he (Dave) wasted a scholarship with his bad knees? I need to hear his perspective.

Press Maravich and Pistol Pete Maravich were a package deal. Press lasted 2 more years at LSU after Pete went to the NBA.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 9.09.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 9.09.56 PM.png
    374.8 KB · Views: 4

I don’t like hiring a coach in general to just get a player. I’m also not a big hire an AAU guy either. Seems to lead to bad things. Examples are the universities who are under investigation currently. I’d rather hire good basketball people. Let the sleeze stay in the SEC and Pac 12

Chet isn't coming here...is this guy in the AAU circuit? If not he has ties to like 3 other D1 prospects at minnehaha? Hard pass Dave.

Top Bottom