Fleck said the Gophers have developed a program to address racism and he wants to be “the most empathetic head coach in America.”

one more try to express my opinion:

Let's say you have two friends, and each one goes on a diet.

One friend doesn't talk about it publicly - they just go on the diet.

another friend talks about it all the time - constantly bringing it up and reminding everyone that they're on a diet.

Which friend would you rather be around?

again, if Fleck wants to make this a goal for the program, fine. It's his program. he can run it any way he wants. I just question why he has to make a public deal of it. for me, it's a little bit too much of the "look at me" aspect of Fleck's personality.

I don't think this example equates well. I agree that I don't need to hear a friend bragging about how they are dieting and whatnot. If they are doing it all the time like I really care that much.

But Fleck is the face of a major college team. Selling himself his part of the job. And the fact is that many kids coming into these programs are from demographics that have different struggles than suburban white kids. And that's not to say that all white kids are privileged.

If PJ ends racism this season, I'm willing to accept a down year.

But eventually you have to win.
Style over substance is what this is.

Before you try to end racism in America, start with your own hiring practices, then work your way up.

Top Bottom