Fleck Post Game Press Conference

Coyle's granting the five year extension of PJ's contract was insane. You don't do this midseason before the two biggest rivalry games of the year...Iowa and Wisconsin. What was Coyle thinking??
He was thinking about the future of the program and providing stability moving forward. This has been a frustrating year but we aren't at the point of blow it up and start over.

So you bench Durr for missing a tackle? Kid has been a heck of a player, but he didn't make that play.

So you bench Walley for not making the pick or getting burned by a receiver? Kid has played really well and looks to have a bright future.

Pretty sure Jack Gibbons is the other defender that missed a pick, bench him too right?

CRAB didn't make a 50/50 grab, to the bench find someone else. MBS drops balls sometimes, bench him too.

Think it was Olson who wiffed on the sack at the end of the game, gotta get someone else in there for him.

Good lord, the issue isn't that the players are not good enough it is that they didn't make some key plays in the game against Iowa. It happens. No coach in the world can make his players do everything right all the time. Coaches deserve blame too but to say it is 100% on the coaches is just foolish. At some point the players have to make the plays and our guys didn't against Iowa.

Morgan is the one massive question mark right now in terms of performance. He had a bad game against Iowa and has had a pretty mediocre year. Whether it is coaching or something else that is an area where they deserve some heat for not trying someone else as Morgan is just off.

I am not a "bench the QB" type guy that is so common among fans. However, it has become apparent the lack of passing ability, and general lack of athletic ability to create plays from the QB position, has negatively impacted the whole offensive mindset and play calling. It's broken. We were all waiting for 2019 Morgan to appear this year and it never happened. Not even close. I'm curious how he's looked in practice. If he's been as mediocre as he's been in games, this is totally on the coaching staff for not realizing early on that the lack of production from the QB could cost them what should have been a very nice season with a veteran team.

I am not a "bench the QB" type guy that is so common among fans. However, it has become apparent the lack of passing ability, and general lack of athletic ability to create plays from the QB position, has negatively impacted the whole offensive mindset and play calling. It's broken. We were all waiting for 2019 Morgan to appear this year and it never happened. Not even close. I'm curious how he's looked in practice. If he's been as mediocre as he's been in games, this is totally on the coaching staff for not realizing early on that the lack of production from the QB could cost them what should have been a very nice season with a veteran team.
The Morgan situation is a tough one. Kind of resembles the Martinez situation in Nebraska. In both cases the coaches refuse to give someone else a shot.

I tend to go with the idea that coaches know who gives the team the best chance to win and that is who they put out there but there is something really off with Morgan and you have to wonder if there isn't someone else on the roster that could bring a little more stability to the position.

There is no doubt that Morgan had a really bad game against Iowa but it isn't the first time he has struggled this season and he isn't exactly lighting it up outside of maybe that first half against Nebraska. Tough call, seems like a great guy and the players seem to respond well to him but he was a big part of why we lost that game to Iowa as he missed some wide open receivers.

So you bench Durr for missing a tackle? Kid has been a heck of a player, but he didn't make that play.

So you bench Walley for not making the pick or getting burned by a receiver? Kid has played really well and looks to have a bright future.

Pretty sure Jack Gibbons is the other defender that missed a pick, bench him too right?

CRAB didn't make a 50/50 grab, to the bench find someone else. MBS drops balls sometimes, bench him too.

Think it was Olson who wiffed on the sack at the end of the game, gotta get someone else in there for him.

Good lord, the issue isn't that the players are not good enough it is that they didn't make some key plays in the game against Iowa. It happens. No coach in the world can make his players do everything right all the time. Coaches deserve blame too but to say it is 100% on the coaches is just foolish. At some point the players have to make the plays and our guys didn't against Iowa.

Morgan is the one massive question mark right now in terms of performance. He had a bad game against Iowa and has had a pretty mediocre year. Whether it is coaching or something else that is an area where they deserve some heat for not trying someone else as Morgan is just off.
So are you saying we have players and coaches that are not doing their job? Who is responsible for that? Who is correcting these drops, missed tackles, blown blocking? In TM case, not reading subsequent progressions to other WRs? Who is coaching QBs? Are QBs coaching QB coach? or other way around? Yes coaches are 100% responsible.

So are you saying we have players and coaches that are not doing their job? Who is responsible for that? Who is correcting these drops, missed tackles, blown blocking? In TM case, not reading subsequent progressions to other WRs? Who is coaching QBs? Are QBs coaching QB coach? or other way around? Yes coaches are 100% responsible.
Dude give it a rest.....we all know your agenda. You are way off base if you think it is all on the coaches and the players don't bare any responsibility for what happens on the field.

As I said in my post, Morgan is a separate issue and one that is certainly open for discussion.

Will say it again....No Coach anywhere can make his players do everything right all the time, players make mistakes, it happens. If you think there is a coaching staff anywhere that can make all their players execute at a perfect level all the time you are living in a fantasy land.

Dude give it a rest.....we all know your agenda. You are way off base if you think it is all on the coaches and the players don't bare any responsibility for what happens on the field.

As I said in my post, Morgan is a separate issue and one that is certainly open for discussion.

Will say it again....No Coach anywhere can make his players do everything right all the time, players make mistakes, it happens. If you think there is a coaching staff anywhere that can make all their players execute at a perfect level all the time you are living in a fantasy land.
What is my agenda? Please let me know. I am talking about subpar coaching and people constantly shifting blames to players. Last time I checked players are not decision-makers. Like you said if nobody can execute 100%, then coaches need to have coaching acumen to take into account the margin of errors. Also who recruited these players or evaluated these players? Morgan is not a separate issue. It is one of many issues the Offense is facing. Saying coaches are 100% responsible is not Lalaland. It is leadership and what PJ has been preaching from day 0.

What is my agenda? Please let me know. I am talking about subpar coaching and people constantly shifting blames to players. Last time I checked players are not decision-makers. Like you said if nobody can execute 100%, then coaches need to have coaching acumen to take into account the margin of errors. Also who recruited these players or evaluated these players? Morgan is not a separate issue. It is one of many issues the Offense is facing. Saying coaches are 100% responsible is not Lalaland. It is leadership and what PJ has been preaching from day 0.
Connor Olson
Chris Autman-Bell
Jack Gibbons
Justin Walley
Coney Durr

All those players made mistakes in the game that hurt us. They are all quality players, who are key parts of any success we have on the field as well. It is ok to admit they make mistakes. No player executes perfectly all the time....why are you trying to pretend that perfection is something we should expect and if it isn't there it means the coaches failed?

Your agenda is clear....there is a reason we only really hear from you when things aren't going right and you get real quiet when the team is losing.

Connor Olson
Chris Autman-Bell
Jack Gibbons
Justin Walley
Coney Durr

All those players made mistakes in the game that hurt us. They are all quality players, who are key parts of any success we have on the field as well. It is ok to admit they make mistakes. No player executes perfectly all the time....why are you trying to pretend that perfection is something we should expect and if it isn't there it means the coaches failed?

Your agenda is clear....there is a reason we only really hear from you when things aren't going right and you get real quiet when the team is losing.
You seem to be an expert on Agenda and Narratives. Wishing coaches to do their job properly is not an agenda or narrative. Last time I check it is not a prerequisite to posting here every day here. Posted on almost every game day threads and cheers for the team. But not going to accept subpar coaching like some of you're doing here.

Fleck basically blames players. Coaches coached well and called a great game but "need to make plays"

Gets asked about Morgan and basically blames WR for drops or not getting balls in their "catch radius".
Just going to address these two. Is he wrong?

- three massive plays, talking single plays by single players, on defense that either set-up or directly gave Iowa their TD's (Walley burned twice, Durr with the missed tackle flip-over)

- there were other drops, but the two throws that Morgan made targeting CAB, both would have been massive plays for the offense, he got his fingertips on both of them, but they were both a bit too high to come down with. If we were going to win, we needed those catches to be made.

A lot of "into the future" has gone by. If he hasn't already recognized all this I am not confident he ever will.
He fired a DC during the second season, so he has made moves. I think he tends to be a little indecisive more than conservative during games. There is no rhyme or reason at times to in game decisions.

You seem to be an expert on Agenda and Narratives. Wishing coaches to do their job properly is not an agenda or narrative. Last time I check it is not a prerequisite to posting here every day here. Posted on almost every game day threads and cheers for the team. But not going to accept subpar coaching like some of you're doing here.
Putting the blame 100% on the coaches is BS and you know it. There were plays to be made on the field where the coaches had guys in position to get it done and they didn't. The players in question are quality players so it isn't a lack of talent it just happens sometimes.

The Durr play in particular comes to mind. He makes that play 99% of the time but this one time something flukey happened that allowed the receiver to escape and score when he should have been dropped for a loss. Durr is still our best defensive back, he was in position to make the play, he just didn't get it done. How is that in any way shape or form the coaches fault?

Putting the blame 100% on the coaches is BS and you know it. There were plays to be made on the field where the coaches had guys in position to get it done and they didn't. The players in question are quality players so it isn't a lack of talent it just happens sometimes.

The Durr play in particular comes to mind. He makes that play 99% of the time but this one time something flukey happened that allowed the receiver to escape and score when he should have been dropped for a loss. Durr is still our best defensive back, he was in position to make the play, he just didn't get it done. How is that in any way shape or form the coaches fault?
This is 100% correct.

Durr makes that tackle, as he normal does, instead of a 1 in a 1000 thing where he flips over the top of the guy, with his arms wrapped around him the whole time, and we likely could win the game.

Just confirms it for you, as a Minnesota fan, that the college sports gods love nothing more than pissing in our Cherrios.

He was thinking about the future of the program and providing stability moving forward. This has been a frustrating year but we aren't at the point of blow it up and start over.
Fleck had signed a 7 year extension in 2019 so the stability was already in place. Regardless of the unsubstantiated rumors of other teams interested in Fleck, it made the most sense to wait until after the Iowa game at the very least to give an extension/raise.

In fairness to Coyle and the board, it's possible (and likely) they factored in the worst case on field scenario of losing out and planned to give the extension anyways.

To have your head coach still touting moral victories in year 5 against an above average Iowa team, with a QB making his first career start has to be a bit perplexing/frustrating. Really hope they can finish the year strong and find an upgrade at QB for 2022 compared to what Tanner has given this year.

Fleck had signed a 7 year extension in 2019 so the stability was already in place. Regardless of the unsubstantiated rumors of other teams interested in Fleck, it made the most sense to wait until after the Iowa game at the very least to give an extension/raise.
Unless:
- you just wanted it over and done with, that "he's our guy, and he wants to be here" and cement that
- and/or you really thought there was some serious interest coming in.

I guess?

In fairness to Coyle and the board, it's possible (and likely) they factored in the worst case on field scenario of losing out and planned to give the extension anyways.

To have your head coach still touting moral victories in year 5 against an above average Iowa team, with a QB making his first career start has to be a bit perplexing/frustrating. Really hope they can finish the year strong and find an upgrade at QB for 2022 compared to what Tanner has given this year.
Optics aren't great when an extension is signed and then the team loses games. But extensions like the one Fleck got are not based on single game results. It is based on the full body of work and where the AD feels the program is headed. Not just in the short term but multiple years down the line as well.

I'll continue to say the contract extension isn't that big of a deal either way. Adding two years is just for show. The contract won't look the same by the time we get out to 2027-2028 anyways. His pay was bumped up some along with his assistants, and it's a little costlier if we fire him in the next year or two but that isn't going to happen anyways. It's also costlier for him if he leaves.

I don't think we should fire Fleck or even consider it, but if you follow Fleck's narrative, next year we are going to hear ALOT of about how young we are. Especially Oline and QB. The point is it is going to feel like starting over. Or at least that is going to be story.

Optics aren't great when an extension is signed and then the team loses games. But extensions like the one Fleck got are not based on single game results. It is based on the full body of work and where the AD feels the program is headed. Not just in the short term but multiple years down the line as well.
Thanks for that clarity as I had no idea that extensions were not given out on a per game basis.

Since that signature win in 2019 against PSU, Fleck's record prior to the extension was 11-8 (0-4 against Iowa/Wisc), including 1-4 against ranked teams with an average margin of defeat by 16 ppg (3 of the 4 losses at home and all by 14+ points). Their best win post 2019-20 season was winning @ Nebraska in 2020 or @ Purdue in 2021.

There was no indication that Fleck had the program prepared to be anything but mediocre given the success that upper echelon BIG10 teams have had against Minnesota during his tenure. Again, the 7-year extension he signed in 2019 was fair then and still fair now given the results. It afforded Coyle the time to be patient. He chose differently and decided to act now. We will have to live with it but the critiscm is valid and I felt this way prior to the Illinois game as I outlined in a post during the Bowling Green game.

This may sound a little crazy, but I can't help but wonder...

Fleck is incredibly loyal to TM. I'm sure there are many reasons, most of which have already been pointed out by other posters (TM following him to MN, TM's commitment to the RTB culture, TM being a tremendous leader and likely a future coach under Fleck, TM's father passing away, etc.). I can't help but wonder if PJ realized at some point that TM was not the same QB he was in 2019 and due to his loyalty to TM decided that he was going to try to ride this season with him anyway. Maybe he figured with all the experience and depth throughout the lineup, he could hide TM's deficiencies and that all TM had to do was not make any mistakes. This would explain the completely vanilla game plan against 'inferior' teams. PJ may have thought that they could slide through the bulk of the schedule without any damage and then they would take their chances with IA and WI. I don't think he envisioned losing to BG and IL like they did. It wouldn't surprise me if he thought they could still win 9 games even with a poor season from Tanner and then they would try to dial it up against the rivals and hope they'd get enough out of TM to win those games too.

I'm just talking out loud here, but I mean PJ has to see that TM is a hinderance to this team, right? Right?

I don't think we should fire Fleck or even consider it, but if you follow Fleck's narrative, next year we are going to hear ALOT of about how young we are. Especially Oline and QB. The point is it is going to feel like starting over. Or at least that is going to be story.

There's a pretty good chance we're still starting all upperclassmen at both of those positions next season. The only exception may be Ersery on the Oline, who looked good when he had to start last season.

There's a pretty good chance we're still starting all upperclassmen at both of those positions next season. The only exception may be Ersery on the Oline, who looked good when he had to start last season.

I should have said inexperienced rather than young.

And optics really don’t matter

Not a single person is going to stop being a fan because Fleck got a 6% raise before he lost to Illinois and Iowa.
If Illinois and Iowa caused you to stop being a fan I’m going to guess you wouldn’t be thinking any difference if the coach made 6% less.

The Morgan situation is a tough one. Kind of resembles the Martinez situation in Nebraska. In both cases the coaches refuse to give someone else a shot.

I tend to go with the idea that coaches know who gives the team the best chance to win and that is who they put out there but there is something really off with Morgan and you have to wonder if there isn't someone else on the roster that could bring a little more stability to the position.

There is no doubt that Morgan had a really bad game against Iowa but it isn't the first time he has struggled this season and he isn't exactly lighting it up outside of maybe that first half against Nebraska. Tough call, seems like a great guy and the players seem to respond well to him but he was a big part of why we lost that game to Iowa as he missed some wide open receivers.
It's not the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd time that he's been a huge part of a loss. At some point you have to step back and make some tough decisions! Or, just let things continue and possibly lose credibility with the 'team' and/or lose the team entirely.

The comparison to Martinez to me doesn't resemble what we have here as we do have others (Kramer, Annexstad and Clark) who have played in B1G games this year and in the past. Nebraska has nobody after Martinez so they don't have a choice.

To me Fleck is a stubborn guy and while he says failing is learning, I would think he'd take his overall coaching in situations as times to learn. Now, if he doesn't think he's wrong OR he doesn't have someone on the staff willing to have a 'breakfast' discussion with Fleck, then he'll not learn anything and continue down the road of insanity (Def. of insanity).

Top Bottom