Fleck Post Game Press Conference

DocWrestling

Reaction score
Watch this whole thing.
Fleck basically blames players. Coaches coached well and called a great game but "need to make plays"

Gets asked about Morgan and basically blames WR for drops or not getting balls in their "catch radius".

5th Year and he mentions moral victory and progress because "getting closer to Iowa"

Philosophy seems to be just try to get to the fourth quarter in a close game.

Fleck has more talent for re-phrasing legitimate questions (in order not to answer them) than he does for coaching B10 football.

Last edited:

Two guys who probably should be fighting for their jobs - Morgan and Jackson. Jackson just doing nothing in his routes.

Fans are clamoring for accountability from Fleck, offensive coaches, and Morgan. This press conference gave me the impression that Fleck does not see a problem with any of these areas. Seems that Fleck is tone deaf.

Is he really traveling home feeling like another step in progress has occurred because after 5 years he is getting closer to Iowa?

Get the game to the fourth quarter with a close score?

You can do that by kicking Field Goals from the 2 and bleeding the play clock down to zero in games where you are losing.

Get the game to the fourth quarter with a close score?

You can do that by kicking Field Goals from the 2 and bleeding the play clock down to zero in games where you are losing.
Isn’t that what we did? Oh…that’s your point.

Isn’t that what we did? Oh…that’s your point.
Yup. Getting to the fourth quarter in a close game and actually winning the game are two different things.

Maybe we wanted to have a close game with BG and Illinois too. Not sure why we didn’t just want to bury them.

Watch this whole thing.
Fleck basically blames players. Coaches coached well and called a great game but "need to make plays"

Gets asked about Morgan and basically blames WR for drops or not getting balls in their "catch radius".

5th Year and he mentions moral victory and progress because "getting closer to Iowa"

I'm tired of Fleck blaming WR's for dropped passes. His anointed QB plays a big role in this. If you would have told me QB play, lack of accuracy, indecision and panicked play would have been a hallmark of this season, I would never have believed it.This was way down on the list of issues I thought would arise. I never gave it even one thought entering this season that Tanner Morgan would be so inaccurate and miss so many throws or have so many batted down balls. Fleck can put all the heat on others, but when even the announcers are commenting about the bad throws you know something is up. Fleck is incapable of admitting that Tanner Morgan's poor play is the root cause of the problems the Gophers are having now. He Fleck refuses to see what is at the end of his nose. Morgan's play isn't even to his or anyone's standards. His play has been down right lousy in some games.i expected Tanner Morgan to be steady and a rock for the team, instead he has been detrimental the last two weeks.

Last edited:

I’ve been saying for weeks that Sanford and Morgan are the issue and they are. But you have your head in the sand if you can’t admit the WRs have dropped a ton of catchable balls this season, including this game.
Plenty of blame to go around, but the buck stops with the OC.

This is why you don't give extensions midseason.

Year 5 is nearly in the books for PJ and for a guy that preaches accountability, he seems to lack it or he lacks the ability to look critically at himself/his program. This press conference is a microcosm of the larger issues.

His loyalty continues to cloud his judgement as Tanner Morgan has regressed from an upper tier Big10 QB in 2019 to a mid-major QB in 2021, but he refuses to pull him. His lack of in-game adjustments, playing not to lose style and poor clock management continues to occur in most close games. Even in the success of 2019, they lost the two most important games @ Iowa and home against Wisconsin. Instead of being a stepping stone to greater success, they have fallen back into mediocrity. Returning Minnesota to consistent mediocrity is Fleck's greatest accomplishment.

He is 2-10 against ranked teams with an average margin of defeat by 16.8 ppg and a combined 1-8 against Wisconsin/Iowa (likely to be 1-9 after the Wisconsin game). His teams have been outscored by Wisconsin 104-71 (2 games by 21+) in 4 games and 150-89 by Iowa (2 games by 17+) in 5 games. To give some credit, they have lost 3 one score games to Iowa.

Let's assume they finish the year 2-1 by beating Indiana, losing to Wisconsin and beating an average team in a bowl game. Fleck will be 34-24 overall and 20-23 in the Big10, w/ 3 seasons above .500. 10 of those wins have come against Buffalo, Oregon State (Went 1-11 in 2017), Middle Tenn, New Mexico State, Fresno State x2, Miami (OH) x2, South Dakota State, and Georgia Southern. In what world does this resume warrant an extension w/ a sizeable raise?

Mark Coyle's hires and decision making during his tenure have left a lot to be desired. Wouldn't mind seeing him ousted at some point in 2022.

If you would have told me QB play, lack of accuracy, indecision and panicked play would have been a hallmark of this season, I would never have believed it.
I'm sure the last second call changes set your quarterback up for success.

I want someone to ask PJ about that shit.

I grit my teeth saying this, but what was that press conference?

Watch this whole thing.

I'm tired of Fleck blaming WR's for dropped passes. His anointed QB plays a big role in this. If you would have told me QB play, lack of accuracy, indecision and panicked play would have been a hallmark of this season, I would never believed it. I never gave it one thought entering this season that Tanner Morgan would be so inaccurate and miss so many throws or have so many batted down balls. Flexk can put all the heat on others, but when even the announcers are commenting about the bad throws. Fleck is incapable of admitting that Tanner Morgan's poor play is the root cause of the problems the Gophers are having now. He Fleck refuses to see what is at the end of his nose.
I’ve been saying for weeks that Sanford and Morgan are the issue and they are. But you have your head in the sand if you can’t admit the WRs have dropped a ton of catchable balls this season, including this game.
Never said WR haven't dropped catchable balls, that said there have been a lot of sub optimal to poor throws this year. Morgan has missed many wide open shots and guys that have been wide open. On tge final drive Mike Brown Stephens beat his man, and was wide open, Morgan didn't even look at him, and that would have only been 2nd progression. Problem is he never came off his first read and completely missed it. He hits that throw and who knows what happens at the end.

I'm tired of Fleck blaming WR's for dropped passes. His anointed QB plays a big role in this. If you would have told me QB play, lack of accuracy, indecision and panicked play would have been a hallmark of this season, I would never have believed it.This was way down on the list of issues I thought would arise. I never gave it even one thought entering this season that Tanner Morgan would be so inaccurate and miss so many throws or have so many batted down balls. Fleck can put all the heat on others, but when even the announcers are commenting about the bad throws you know something is up. Fleck is incapable of admitting that Tanner Morgan's poor play is the root cause of the problems the Gophers are having now. He Fleck refuses to see what is at the end of his nose. Morgan's play isn't even to his or anyone's standards. His play has been down right lousy in some games.i expected Tanner Morgan to be steady and a rock for the team, instead he has been detrimental the last two weeks.
Who is the QB coach? Seems to me the regression starts with him since he’s taken a fairly good QB and turned him into what you’ve written here.

Fleck can say and do anything that he wants and can continue his poor game management and inadequate recruiting because he has another seven years of a guaranteed salary or a golden parachute if he is fired before the seven years are up.
Why Coyle give Fleck the new contract before the end of the season is a mystery but it defies logic.

Fleck can say and do anything that he wants and can continue his poor game management and inadequate recruiting because he has another seven years of a guaranteed salary or a golden parachute if he is fired before the seven years are up.
Why Coyle give Fleck the new contract before the end of the season is a mystery but it defies logic.
Probably because he was being pursued by other programs. I believe in Fleck, but he needs to practice what he preaches and change his best. That starts with an OC change.

Who is the QB coach? Seems to me the regression starts with him since he’s taken a fairly good QB and turned him into what you’ve written here.
Sanford Jr is QB coach, and recent track record indicates his previous QB' regressed and got worse with him as coach too. He finally called a much better game, should have been doing to Illinois what they did today. Day late and dollar short. This loss stings because Iowa was playing back up QB and was very beatable today.

I get the feeling that Fleck and I define "catch radius" very differently.

the way Fleck describes it, if a pass is anywhere in the vicinity of the WR, they're supposed to catch it. Well, close only counts in horseshoes and......you know.

the TV announcers keep talking about how many games Morgan has started. A veteran QB is supposed to be able to throw a ball to a spot where the WR doesn't have to make a circus catch.

they talked about the 3rd-and-7 where Morgan threw the ball 3 feet over Autman-Bell's head - and Fleck made it sound like a catchable ball. Horse manure.

All coaches say the same bullshit in losses or sad seasons.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall, but I would hope he's in his office and looking at things with a what the hell is going here at qb and with this passing game. If not, he's a moron.

In spite of what some think right now, Fleck isn’t stupid. he knows Morgan had a bad game. But he isn’t going to go out in front of the media and throw him under the bus and then run him over a few times for good measure.

In spite of what some think right now, Fleck isn’t stupid. he knows Morgan had a bad game. But he isn’t going to go out in front of the media and throw him under the bus and then run him over a few times for good measure.
Nobody wants coach Fleck to throw Morgan under the bus and run him over, just be fair as to and honest about the assessment to losses like this. The QB isn't the only problem, but his play and issues have hurt the team at times this season. It's not without reason to admit that Morgan is not playing to even his own goals and standards. QB play has been sub standard, not just in the losses but some wins too. This season has been a big letdown, they have more or less went from what could have been a great season to less than, with 6 and 4 record, and some blown games for losses. I put too much blame on him Morgan in an earlier thread, should not have singled him out, football is a team game. Still the QB has been bad at times this season, there isn't an intellectually honest way to avoid the issue. This season has had a lot of disappointment in it.

Last edited:

I'm tired of Fleck blaming WR's for dropped passes. His anointed QB plays a big role in this. If you would have told me QB play, lack of accuracy, indecision and panicked play would have been a hallmark of this season, I would never believed it. I never gave it one thought entering this season that Tanner Morgan would be so inaccurate and miss so many throws or have so many batted down balls. Flexk can put all the heat on others, but when even the announcers are commenting about the bad throws. Fleck is incapable of admitting that Tanner Morgan's poor play is the root cause of the problems the Gophers are having now. He Fleck refuses to see what is at the end of his nose.

Never said WR haven't dropped catchable balls, that said there have been a lot of sub optimal to poor throws this year. Morgan has missed many wide open shots and guys that have been wide open. On tge final drive Mike Brown Stephens beat his man, and was wide open, Morgan didn't even look at him, and that would have only been 2nd progression. Problem is he never came off his first read and completely missed it. He hits that throw and who knows what happens at the end.
Go back and look at the 2nd to last drive on the 3rd and 4th and long from the 3. The 3rd down pass hit CAB in the hands and should have been caught for a 1st down, but it was dropped. The 4th down pass would have been a more difficult catch for Brown-Stephens, and it also hit him in the hands but was dropped.

We've seen our WRs make those plays a lot in the past, especially in 2019. It's not happening this year. There are 5+ dropped balls in every game.

Top Bottom