Fleck and Assistant Bump in Pay

With the new DC. I think Fleck likes someone from Rutgers where he feels they share a similar scheme outlook.

He is not a known big name. I can see where others felt the Gophers ran Tyler on this one instead of Taylor, symbolically speaking.

He did win top accolades as a coordinator at a lower school James Madison.

Kirk Ferentz at Iowa was only an assistant at one time. People do come up out of nowhere. People also do stumble learning on the job.

I will be watching GopherHole to read what others post about this as the season goes on, people who know scheming and coaching better than I do.

Coyle is absurdly incompetent. Giving PJ this now after the last year of unwatchable football is a travesty. He bounces back with a good showing in ‘24 then fine. Not now, not after ‘23.
Wrong.

THIS BOARD judges our coaches strictly by yearly won-loss record. With nothing else considered.

This board loves or hates a coach game-by-game...sometimes even possession-by-possession.

Fleck is a very good coach. Much better than anything we've had in the last 50+ years.

THIS BOARD judges our coaches strictly by yearly won-loss record. With nothing else considered.

This board loves or hates a coach game-by-game...sometimes even possession-by-possession.

Fleck is a very good coach. Much better than anything we've had in the last 50+ years.
Correct

AND

Also correct - he does not deserve a raise after arguably his most disappointing season.

Both can be true

Wrong.

Some people can not or will not see the big picture. Minnesota should be grateful having a man of PJ's character, integrity, values & personality. People, we are blessed.

Last edited:

Probably I agree.

So why does he keep doing it??

There is more money under the table that he’s purposefully not spending.
I think he actually believes that his program helps develop people.

I don't disagree that younger, less experienced guys are more likely to buy in to PJ's very unique culture. You just seem to think it's sinister, while I think it's out of necessity.

Correct

AND

Also correct - he does not deserve a raise after arguably his most disappointing season.

Both can be true

Right. He doesn't deserve a raise. He received a market adjustment to maintain the same slot. You are right to raise a flag...

I think he actually believes that his program helps develop people.

I don't disagree that younger, less experienced guys are more likely to buy in to PJ's very unique culture. You just seem to think it's sinister, while I think it's out of necessity.
Well, for the record, though I don’t think it really needs to be said, I don’t think Fleck had taken a single action since he’s arrived here that he purposefully thinks will harm the program.

I believe he, like every other coach, only ever do what they think will help win more games.

I just think his decision making ability is … not one of his strengths. Salesmanship is his strength. Coaching/mentoring of young men is a strength.

Correct

AND

Both can be true
I consider his overall ability more than I consider last season's won-loss record.

The timing of his raise was simply to make sure he stays and is paid as well as other comparable coaches.

There aren’t many coaches “worth” their pay with maybe a few exceptions and that is truer now than ever before. The pay raises are mainly FOMO-based and perhaps a misplaced need for stability in an era of mostly unrestricted player movement. Further, as we enter the era of unrestricted or even direct pay for play - pending judicial karate - Fleck’s strengths become less important and flaws maybe more concerning.

PJ earned himself a long rope with the 2019 season but the bloom is off the rose. He’s going to need a good or at least competitive 2024 or that buyout starts looking like a ball and chain.

Hasn't that happened every year?
No? You tell us.

And to the actual point: there is absolutely no reason to give “the usual reward” for a very disappointing season.

It’s not like he wasn’t already under contract for several more years and already paid middle pack of the Big Ten.

Correct - I do care about W/L and could care less about the other stuff. Fans that rip on SEC schools and talk about how their program is more than just football, talk that way because their teams sucks.

For the money these guys make and what I’m paying to go to games and buy players don’t give me great developer of men and community. Be elite on the field and win a championship.

You want to focus on developing young men, coach HS football. The HS coach in my community loses a shit ton but I’m cool with it cuz it’s $5 to watch and the kids love him. FYI - Coyle could get him for about 60k and spend the other 6.6 million on NIL…….

Correct - I do care about W/L and could care less about the other stuff. Fans that rip on SEC schools and talk about how their program is more than just football, talk that way because their teams sucks.

For the money these guys make and what I’m paying to go to games and buy players don’t give me great developer of men and community. Be elite on the field and win a championship.

You want to focus on developing young men, coach HS football. The HS coach in my community loses a shit ton but I’m cool with it cuz it’s $5 to watch and the kids love him. FYI - Coyle could get him for about 60k and spend the other 6.6 million on NIL…….
Wow! Interesting take that I could support but the U can’t spend that money on NIL and as long as the new guy doesn’t “lose a shit ton”

Wow.

Coyle is absurdly incompetent. Giving PJ this now after the last year of unwatchable football is a travesty. He bounces back with a good showing in ‘24 then fine. Not now, not after ‘23.
Mmmm, next year is 3 win season. Coyle made great invest.

When I said things other than won-loss record need to be considered...I wasn't talking about instilling values or anything like that. I meant things that affect won-loss record. College football is an extremely uneven playing-field. Fleck is at a big disadvantage at a place like Minnesota.

Well, this explains why my season tickets went up $150 per seat.

What I don’t think people are getting is the fact that our assistants don’t have the resumes to get paid anymore than they are right now, unfortunately. It’s a big issue. Our staff is not up to Big Ten standards.
I agree with this but I say hire the assistants with the winning resume and pay them.

Create a student fee for NIL, coaches. facilities & recruiting. Have faculty pay dues toward football like unions require.

Ridiculous!!! Ha ha ha ha …. it is all about a body of work and not just being reactionary about year to year fluctuations. Especially with all of the flux caused by the transfer portal and NIL money.

Then just go find another sport to watch. Unfortunately for you, college sports has a lot of associated baggage they does not only focus on W/L. Also, brush up on your NIL knowledge so you do not make such ridiculous comments about having the school fund it direcly.

Top Bottom