Fleck and Assistant Bump in Pay

With the $700K he didn't spend, and the lower salary for the new DC, I think he's got like $1.5M sitting unspent in the coaches salary pool.

My view is that it's a market adjustment. He is still at the same market slot.

In the other thread on the UCLA job, I first said no way to any pay bump. But then when the new market rates became clear I said maybe a bump is correct.

I don't see this as a raise. I see it as a market adjustment.

He is in a certain slot. That is not Saben money. He is still in that slot.

The amounts of money in football are super high. It can seem shocking. But that is what the rates are. The Big Ten revenues contract is into the billions. The size of the pie is what it is. Then the pie gets carved up. The U gets to keep a huge piece.

We need more NIL money I thought.

if my math is correct - IF the Gophers were to fire Fleck without cause before the 2024 season, they would owe him $27.1-million. (65% of the nearly $42-million in total compensation Fleck is scheduled to receive throughout the length of the contract)

needless to say - he ain't getting fired. not unless he does something bad enough that the U would be willing to eat $27-million to get out from under the contract.

of course, that amount will go down by a little over $4-million each year.

if my math is correct - IF the Gophers were to fire Fleck without cause before the 2024 season, they would owe him $27.1-million. (65% of the nearly $42-million in total compensation Fleck is scheduled to receive throughout the length of the contract)

needless to say - he ain't getting fired. not unless he does something bad enough that the U would be willing to eat $27-million to get out from under the contract.

of course, that amount will go down by a little over $4-million each year.
Unlikely to go down...he gets extended every year

Fleck showed leadership on the NIL issue. It is still a bit of a taboo subject with the public. He talked straight and bold where others may not.

If he didn't have a lousy QB last season he may be making much more.

The new QB was a big get. B1G.

My view is that it's a market adjustment. He is still at the same market slot.

In the other thread on the UCLA job, I first said no way to any pay bump. But then when the new market rates became clear I said maybe a bump is correct.

I don't see this as a raise. I see it as a market adjustment.

He is in a certain slot. That is not Saben money. He is still in that slot.

The amounts of money in football are super high. It can seem shocking. But that is what the rates are. The Big Ten revenues contract is into the billions. The size of the pie is what it is. Then the pie gets carved up. The U gets to keep a huge piece.
Ya, it seems like too much money...it seems like he does not deserve a raise based on 2023 season performance...but the other guys keep getting raises too and he's still arguably underpaid compared to the other Big Ten coaches.
The assistant salary pool is frustratingly bad compared to the other conference members.

Coyle is absurdly incompetent. Giving PJ this now after the last year of unwatchable football is a travesty. He bounces back with a good showing in ‘24 then fine. Not now, not after ‘23.

So PJ gets another 700k and the Assistant Pool only gets 500k?

Dogshit! 6m, 6.7m whatever. If you really want to win, stay at 6m and give the Assistants 1.2m.
What I don’t think people are getting is the fact that our assistants don’t have the resumes to get paid anymore than they are right now, unfortunately. It’s a big issue. Our staff is not up to Big Ten standards.

The document says it ranks his salary, including retention, at 9th in the 18 member Big Ten. Each person can decide if that slot seems right.

What I don’t think people are getting is the fact that our assistants don’t have the resumes to get paid anymore than they are right now, unfortunately. It’s a big issue. Our staff is not up to Big Ten standards.
Right...........and if you have more money in the pool you can hire better coaches.

We need Electronic pull tabs or split raffle for NIL for DTA. How do we get goal line club, a bar or legion and Etabs, or bingo going for charitable works, do some good like donations but funnel some money to the athletes. Probably doesnt work with tax rules. Looks like UCLA interest was real.

tenor.gif

Pj's office live feed

We need Electronic pull tabs or split raffle for NIL for DTA. How do we get goal line club, a bar or legion and Etabs, or bingo going for charitable works, do some good like donations but funnel some money to the athletes. Probably doesnt work with tax rules. Looks like UCLA interest was real.
Put “the goal line club” as a bar at the top of the stadium.

Also a house… for me, I’ll live there and watch over the club.

With the $700K he didn't spend, and the lower salary for the new DC, I think he's got like $1.5M sitting unspent in the coaches salary pool.
Which is ridiculous!! Want good help in any endeavor, you have to pay for it. Our new DC is a prime example.

NIL is not a 501 3c charity which makes their donations non deductible

So, let's say a college football coach gets $5 million or more in salary, plus perks from Savoy Pizza, Hubert White, some fancy car dealership or the other coaches NIL $ like TV shows and they contribute a couple million a year to let's just say Dinkytown Athletes or something.
They designate the money to land the 5 star QB...that much is legal at the moment.
But, can a coach be the one chipping in the money, legally at the moment?
Theory being he makes the 12 team playoff...everybody is happy and he gets a couple million dollar raise betting on himself. Seems like a plan?

So, let's say a college football coach gets $5 million or more in salary, plus perks from Savoy Pizza, Hubert White, some fancy car dealership or the other coaches NIL $ like TV shows and they contribute a couple million a year to let's just say Dinkytown Athletes or something.
They designate the money to land the 5 star QB...that much is legal at the moment.
But, can a coach be the one chipping in the money, legally at the moment?
Theory being he makes the 12 team playoff...everybody is happy and he gets a couple million dollar raise betting on himself. Seems like a plan?
IIRC coaches can’t do that.

Right...........and if you have more money in the pool you can hire better coaches.
Unless Fleck purposefully wants cheaper coaches?

That he can exert more control over and get fewer challenges to his ego?

Top Bottom