FCS Championship game is going on KSTP Channel 5 Twin Cities at 11:00 AM

Against FBS dude...good lord. Morgan was top 5 QB in all of FBS.

What about NDSU wonder 9-3 blowout of Illinois st? Lance lit it up there??? Every qb has an off game. When lance plays vs 12 FBS opponents and has Morgan numbers, then I'll believe. Until then, hes a runner playing qb with avg to below avg passing ability.
Lance finished #1 in FCS in PASSING efficiency.

And #5 in completion percentage.

Those don't quite mesh with your assessment of below avg passing ability. (Side note, I do see you backed off some and added "avg to" in your statement. Kudos. Seriously.)

Carson Wentz, Jimmy Garoppolo, Joe Flacco, Tony Romo, Steve McNair.... all FCS quarterbacks. None had a passing season in college that bested Lance's completion percentage or passing efficiency.

3 of those guys went in the 1st round of the NFL draft. Another went in the 2nd. And then the final is about to become ridiculously overpaid by ESPN Monday Night Football. :)

Look, I'm not trying to argue Lance is a better passer than Morgan. I just think you are under-selling his passing abilities. Kid just put up a top 10 passing efficiency season in FCS history.

Because ndsu is essentially an mwc, mac, or sunbelt quality team playing FCS teams.

He led the FCS in passing eff...good for him. It's the FCS.

The guys you mentioned...didnt have this good of team. Ndsu is a well coached team w good players. Lance is a good college qb/athlete who basically had to run the zone against poorer opponents and then run play action against bad DBs who likely had never seen an FCS player as good as the wr Watson. Watch that MT st game..some of those kids were so wide open, pretty sure Leidner could have gotten them the ball.

Anyways, i guess you ll know more about lance next labor when they travel to Eugene Oregon. Good for him.

Streveler didn't see the field at the U of M, stuck behind pretty shoddy QB competition. He goes to USD and is all world (I-AA world).
This isn't a debate worth having, but nonetheless an argument could be had taking the for and against sides of the idea that "Steveler wasn't given a fair chance to show what he could do in games throwing the ball for the Gophers."

Lance finished #1 in FCS in PASSING efficiency.

And #5 in completion percentage.
This debate can be twisted into either side of the agenda of the person arguing.

On one side, you can say statistics like this prove he is a really good, accurate passer.
On the other side, you can say that NDSU ran the ball mainly, and when they passed it was a lot of play-action short passes, which are "easier".

And yet, despite those "short passes", Lance finished 7th in FCS on yards per completion.

FWIW, Gophers threw the ball 36.6% of the time this year. Bison threw it 29.7%. Neither team aired it out. I believe Tanner Morgan is an excellent passer. Despite the running ratio and many of his passes being play action.

I'm not trying to say Lance is even a "really good, accurate passer" - just that I believe the label of "below average passer" set forth here is quite ridiculous.

Easier to have good stats against weaker teams.

And yet, despite those "short passes", Lance finished 7th in FCS on yards per completion.
But again, "passing" yards includes YAC. If I throw the ball 1 yard in the air and the guy then runs for 99 yards ... that goes down as a 100 yard completion for me.

Just one of many reasons why I find traditional, basic stats to be very unhelpful. (Similarly, if I throw and absolutely perfect ball, that's going to be a for sure touchdown ... and the guy friggin' drops it, that goes down as an incompletion for me)

I'm not trying to say Lance is even a "really good, accurate passer" - just that I believe the label of "below average passer" set forth here is quite ridiculous.

Agree 100%

FWIW, Gophers threw the ball 36.6% of the time this year. Bison threw it 29.7%. Neither team aired it out. I believe Tanner Morgan is an excellent passer. Despite the running ratio and many of his passes being play action.

That percent difference may not seem like much, but it's actually a difference of about 7 passing attempts per game.

I think Lance could be a really good passer. I'm just not sure this year proves it is all. Almost always playing with the lead and having a great running game enabled them to be selective.

I just wish NDSU was in Mountain west during the last few years of this run, especially with Carson Wentz. wouldve been fun to dominant MWC

I just wish NDSU was in Mountain west during the last few years of this run, especially with Carson Wentz. wouldve been fun to dominant MWC

Holy shamoley. Bison fans are truly delusional....

If you are really talented, it does not matter what school you came from. You will be "discovered". Ben Roethlisberger cam out of Miami Ohio. Carson Wentz of course NDSU.

Even if some of these QBs make it to a D1 team, they may never get a chance to develop if buried in the depth chart like they will in a place like NDSU or SDSU.

Chris Streveler has already been mentioned as an example.

But again, "passing" yards includes YAC. If I throw the ball 1 yard in the air and the guy then runs for 99 yards ... that goes down as a 100 yard completion for me.

Just one of many reasons why I find traditional, basic stats to be very unhelpful. (Similarly, if I throw and absolutely perfect ball, that's going to be a for sure touchdown ... and the guy friggin' drops it, that goes down as an incompletion for me)

Agree 100%

Morgan is a huge YAC beneficiary . . . TJ, Bateman, Bell, YAC, YAC and more YAC.

For the record, I wasn't saying that YAC is bad. Just saying that it does muddy the water in terms of trying to use simple/basic passing stats to understand how accurate a passer is on medium or longer throws.

Morgan is a huge YAC beneficiary . . . TJ, Bateman, Bell, YAC, YAC and more YAC.

You know who else benefits from YAC? QBs from Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU, Clemson and every other program with good receivers. Many times, those teams are so much better than their opponents, the passes don’t even need to be very accurate or in stride. The Gophers aren’t quite in that league yet. The throws need to be good, quite often with the QB being knocked on his ass.

Top Bottom