Faalele not returning next year per coy Fleck comment on KFAN Noon show today

That was an interesting end to the show today. It gave us a pretty good idea of what the OL will look like next year. It sounds like they are hoping to get Ruschmeyer back for another year, and Andries sounds like a coin flip. A potential starting line would look like this:

LT - Aireontae Ersery - RS SO
LG - Axel Ruschmeyer - RS SR
C - Nathan Boe - RS SR or Karter Shaw RS SR
RG - Karter Shaw RS SR or Austin Beier RS SR
RT - JJ Guedet - RS JR or Tyrell Lawrence RS SO

If Andries came back he could play either RG or RT.

All have been in college at least 3 years, most 4 or 5+. Ersery, Boe, and Guedet all started in the win at Nebraska last year.
Beier -- literally -- has not seen the field here for any meaningful action, not even as an extra blocker of some kind, in his first four seasons here.

I'd be shocked if he doesn't transfer out.

Shaw unknown. Boe, sorry I know we all love a Lakeville guy, but he is a solid backup/"extra blocker" type guy. What Ruschmeyer (older) was in 2019.

Cooper is there too, haven't seen him much yet. Younger Ruschmeyer maybe as well.

Ruschmeyer (the older) should be back.

Plenty of young guys with Tackle body types. Guys who came in with Ersery, plus Guedet has been waiting his turn ("should have" replaced Schlueter or Faalele this year, if not for covid).

I think we need one or two solid transfer portal guys for the interior spots.

Last edited:

Two games left and people in the locker room are talking about next year?

If we can't beat Bowling Green and a so-so Illinois team , plus arch rival Iowa, with a very large, experienced OL this year, I I fear for our results next year.

Disagree. He is going to be a bit of project which might keep him out of the first round. But the NFL loves measurables and a guy like Faalele will be way too tough for teams to pass on. A OT with his size and athletic ability is going to get a ton of attention and I will be shocked if he lasts past day 2. If he blows teams away at the combine there is definitely a chance he ends up in the first round.

Guys his size just don't come around all that often.
I think it will come down to how he performs in the combine or individual workouts if he isn’t invited to the combine.

I think it will come down to how he performs in the combine or individual workouts if he isn’t invited to the combine.
I have little doubt he will be invited to the combine. I can guarantee teams want to get a good look at him.

That was an interesting end to the show today. It gave us a pretty good idea of what the OL will look like next year. It sounds like they are hoping to get Ruschmeyer back for another year, and Andries sounds like a coin flip. A potential starting line would look like this:

LT - Aireontae Ersery - RS SO
LG - Axel Ruschmeyer - RS SR
C - Nathan Boe - RS SR or Karter Shaw RS SR
RG - Karter Shaw RS SR or Austin Beier RS SR
RT - JJ Guedet - RS JR or Tyrell Lawrence RS SO

If Andries came back he could play either RG or RT.

All have been in college at least 3 years, most 4 or 5+. Ersery, Boe, and Guedet all started in the win at Nebraska last year.
Martes Lewis was another guy Fleck mentioned unprompted; don't know if he would fit in there anywhere. Then he said we have "a lot of young guys" and mentioned Logan Purcell as coming on.

Daniel needs another year, but I understand the desire to make the move. He'll probably get selected higher than his skills dictate as there's always someone willing to take a flyer on a athlete. I wish him well. Hopefully he'll show up on the "Gophers in the NFL" thread often.

I think Big Dan plays in the NFL at RT. The guy has still only played what 3 years of football?

The biggest issue (IMO) for the people who end up being clear busts in the NFL are the people who do not have the size/strength. They can get bull rushed, the pocket always collapses around them and they cannot even anchor the men in front of them. Big Dan will absolutely not have that issue.

If you're a guy like Faalele and you can have a shred of athleticism, the pro game kind of suits you. It's a little less than it was maybe 5 years ago. If you're playing RT, you essentially need to be able to handle the guy in front of you and Big Dan has been pretty good at that.

I think Big Dan plays in the NFL at RT. The guy has still only played what 3 years of football?

The biggest issue (IMO) for the people who end up being clear busts in the NFL are the people who do not have the size/strength. They can get bull rushed, the pocket always collapses around them and they cannot even anchor the men in front of them. Big Dan will absolutely not have that issue.

If you're a guy like Faalele and you can have a shred of athleticism, the pro game kind of suits you. It's a little less than it was maybe 5 years ago. If you're playing RT, you essentially need to be able to handle the guy in front of you and Big Dan has been pretty good at that.
Looking forward to see him continuing his pancake blocking on Sundays (and Mondays, Thursdays, some Saturdays...)

He’s had two crucial holding calls the last two weeks - both on the same sweep play

So much changes from the holidays to draft day, but I agree with those who see Faalele going in the first 3 rounds. You can teach his measurables and some NFL OL coach is going to be drooling over the possibilities.

JMS draws HIGH praise in scouting circles and on PFF, so I'm sure he'll be drafted. Like others have said, his size might be detrimental to him going high though. The others I'm not sure about. They'll probably all get camp looks, but I don't know about being drafted. I'd imagine it'll play into Andries decision making about returning, though.

I think this magnifies how bad the WR and QB play has been.
I agree.
However, I also think PFF is sometime going to give you a different grade than your own o line coach would give you

Top Bottom