Expectations for next year if Oturu returns

In reviewing many of the mock draft boards only one has DO in the top ten. Most have him late first round. Granted, it is VERY early and there will certainly be movement.

That said, a #10 pick is guaranteed about $9Mil, a late first rounder about $4.

Is it worth it for DO to roll the dice and play next year where he would be an almost certain top five and quadruple the guarantee (and have another $12 mil waiting in years 3-4).

I would think he could get insurance for $1Mil-2Mil in the event of injury (which once healed he could play overseas for decent $).

I heard someone on the radio yesterday say he's 95% sure Oturu's gone. It really should be a non-factor in Pitino's future.

Is it worth it for DO to roll the dice and play next year where he would be an almost certain top five and quadruple the guarantee (and have another $12 mil waiting in years 3-4).

I know that seems intuitive but staying in school more often than not results in the opposite: falling in the draft. You can find multiple notable examples of that in recent years. I can think of one recent example where that helped: Buddy Hield who stayed until his senior year and was a high lottery pick. But, he was a final four participant (averaging 29 pts a game in the tournament) in his last year.

I heard someone on the radio yesterday say he's 95% sure Oturu's gone. It really should be a non-factor in Pitino's future.
With sourcing like that... you need to get into journalism man.

Need another guard that is consistent or more of the same, I have no confidence Kalschuer is going to rebound and Willis is what he is. Mashburn is going to have to contribute and hopefully end up starting. I expect Ihnen at the PF position to be more productive next year and Williams should be improved.

With DO on the team and RP coaching we would in the top 10 more than out of it, and at minimum a #4 see and trip to sweet sixteen in the tourney.

that said, there is a 7% of this happening...but a chance none the less.

Agree. Pitino does a nice job of getting the team to its potential so definitely would be great if he was here with another Oturu led team. For me, I gave up on Tubby when the future looked dim due to recruiting slippage and wonder if history is repeating. One example, imagine if we had Potter and Wisconsin had Demir. Hope I'm wrong and Pitino/Oturu both stay and recruiting upticks. I think Pitino deserves another year based upon the last three and overachieving this season, but only if Coyle has a good feel about recruiting going forward.

There are times I wish I could live in the fantasy land that some people here live in! Mashburn going to score 30 a game, Mitchell is going to be a stud day 1, Curry going to post monster numbers! Fact is Oturu is likely gone, Pitino is likely gone, Mashburn is likely gone, Walton isnt coming here, Willis will still be starting, Curry will be serviceable in 15 min a game and we will be 10th-13th in the Big 10. Do i wish we would be an amazing team next year YES, but if you think that is the likelihood then you are just wearing Maroon tinted glasses.

There are times I wish I could live in the fantasy land that some people here live in! Mashburn going to score 30 a game, Mitchell is going to be a stud day 1, Curry going to post monster numbers! Fact is Oturu is likely gone, Pitino is likely gone, Mashburn is likely gone, Walton isnt coming here, Willis will still be starting, Curry will be serviceable in 15 min a game and we will be 10th-13th in the Big 10. Do i wish we would be an amazing team next year YES, but if you think that is the likelihood then you are just wearing Maroon tinted glasses.
Every available Spring recruit will want to come here to play for coach Belein! :cool:

Who has said any of that??
I would say this:
Mashburn is going to be solid depth like we don't have this year- 20+ minutes and a good two way player. Really good shooter.
Mitchell is likely Ihnen part 2 from what I see of him.
Curry is 15-20 minutes max considering what he has gone through.

All good depth. If, if, if Oturu came back, which I doubt then I would think that has to increase the chances Walton comes and believes he could be the missing shooting link we need. I think Ihnen will be a solid Big Ten PF next year (like we have not had this year) with high end potential for the future.

This team only has to be marginally better to be in the top 4 of the Big Ten. All of those close games we lost were .....well.......close.

Reactions: ltf

Top Bottom