Expectations for next year if Oturu returns

Otis

Reaction score
Regardless of who is coaching the team next year, what does everyone think of the lineup with the return of Oturu to the Barn.

Starting Lineup:

PG: Carr - he is the appointed starter and Pitino has failed to recruit a dedicated PG to back him up. Greenlee is overmatched in the B1G and Willis/Mashburn/Kalesheur/Williams are not PGs. So this spot is really going to be the same.

SG: Kalesheur - Doubtful he gets beat out by any of the guys behind him barring injury. Depth is not a problem here at all as Willis/Williams/Mashburn can all play this spot.

SF: Ihnen - Yeah, yeah, I know Willis is the returning starter, but Ihnen seems like a really good fit here with his length and shooting ability. I know that Willis and Mashburn can play this position and Markice Mitchell thinks he is a perimeter player, So depth is good, but only if they all get minutes early in the season.

PF: Omersa - This is where I suspect people will fleece me! However, you can't have 5 guys who command the ball! You need at least one guy who is willing to do the little things and abuse his body to go for rebounds and loose balls and provide energy with unexpected moments of offense. I think Jarvis will be better on the offensive end next year. Ihnen and Mitchell provide depth here but this position is pretty thin.

C: Oturu - Obviously getting the best center in the B1G back makes this a position of strength. Depth here is pretty thin unless Sam Freeman makes a huge jump before next season. No Oturu probably means starting Omersa at center and hoping Ihnen adds about 25 lbs of muscle and expectations fall commensurately with Oturu's massive skills. Omersa and Freeman make this a shaky back-up situation.

Looking at the lineup, I'd say their ceiling is a top 4 finish in the conference. I'd say the floor is probably 8-12 in conference if this year's shooting woes continue. Things should be better with more skill on the pine but I'd have a very short leash on any player that is incapable of consistently shooting well. Defense should be better allowing them to win some games where they struggle to score.

Will the conference be easier next year without Winston, Cowan, Garza, Weston, Simmons and the rest of the guys graduating/leaving early? Maybe, but other teams have better recruits stocking their shelves than we do.

We could finish anywhere from a 4 seed to the bubble without even thinking about who the coach is.

No Oturu, and I think the ceiling becomes the bubble.

Pretty sure I read that Mashburn will be expected to play some PG

Two scenarios: Oturu (unlikely but wow if it happened) No Oturu (likely)

Oturu stays- I rate this scenario top 3 in the conference - New coach or Pitino
Starters
Carr
Gabe
Juco/Grad transfer/Walton
Ihnen
Oturu

Bench
Mashburn
Willis
Williams
Omersa
Mitchell
Freeman
Curry
Spring signing

Oturu goes Pitino goes 8th to 12th
Starters
Carr
Juco/ grad transfer/ Walton
Gabe
Ihnen
Curry

Bench
Willis
Williams
Mitchell ( I would hope we could keep him while I would guess we lose Mashburn)
Omersa
Freeman
Spring signing
Spring signing
Spring signing

You guys are really expecting a lot from Curry. I'm just not so sure, not to many B-Ball players have come back from 2 blown knees.

I history has anything to say about it, Walton should not be expected. I mean he plays at the deepest position.

You guys are really expecting a lot from Curry. I'm just not so sure, not to many B-Ball players have come back from 2 blown knees.

Curry plays about 20 minutes per game. 5 pts and 5 rbds/ game

I history has anything to say about it, Walton should not be expected. I mean he plays at the deepest position.
The next coach will get all the locals !! :)

Seriously though, we may have a lot of players at the 2/3 but I think there is plenty of room for a kid that can shoot it like he can to get a lot of minutes.

With DO on the team and RP coaching we would in the top 10 more than out of it, and at minimum a #4 see and trip to sweet sixteen in the tourney.

that said, there is a 7% of this happening...but a chance none the less.

With DO on the team and RP coaching we would in the top 10 more than out of it, and at minimum a #4 see and trip to sweet sixteen in the tourney.

that said, there is a 7% of this happening...but a chance none the less.
The year before the final four trip that did happen but didn't... we lost to Tulane badly in the NIT 2nd round at the Barn. We brought essentially the same team back and rolled.

19-11, 11-9. A #9 seed. If Oturu leaves: 14-16, 8-12 just like now.

If Oturu and Pitino both stay we will have a great team and keep the current recruits. What could be better? Current players will be bigger, stronger, and more experienced.

If Oturu and Pitino both stay we will have a great team and keep the current recruits. What could be better? Current players will be bigger, stronger, and more experienced.
Oturu is Mahatma

Are those records with a new coach or Pitino?
Pitino. But I don't think they'd change much with a new coach for year 1. Maybe 1-2 less wins in both cases, depending who the hire is and what recruits they bring with, whether Ihnen and Williams stay, etc. I'm also assuming they lighten up the non-conference schedule to more of a 6 cupcakes/4 non-cupcakes ratio rather than the other way around.

Regardless of who is coaching the team next year, what does everyone think of the lineup with the return of Oturu to the Barn.

Starting Lineup:

PG: Carr - he is the appointed starter and Pitino has failed to recruit a dedicated PG to back him up. Greenlee is overmatched in the B1G and Willis/Mashburn/Kalesheur/Williams are not PGs. So this spot is really going to be the same.

SG: Kalesheur - Doubtful he gets beat out by any of the guys behind him barring injury. Depth is not a problem here at all as Willis/Williams/Mashburn can all play this spot.

SF: Ihnen - Yeah, yeah, I know Willis is the returning starter, but Ihnen seems like a really good fit here with his length and shooting ability. I know that Willis and Mashburn can play this position and Markice Mitchell thinks he is a perimeter player, So depth is good, but only if they all get minutes early in the season.

PF: Omersa - This is where I suspect people will fleece me! However, you can't have 5 guys who command the ball! You need at least one guy who is willing to do the little things and abuse his body to go for rebounds and loose balls and provide energy with unexpected moments of offense. I think Jarvis will be better on the offensive end next year. Ihnen and Mitchell provide depth here but this position is pretty thin.

C: Oturu - Obviously getting the best center in the B1G back makes this a position of strength. Depth here is pretty thin unless Sam Freeman makes a huge jump before next season. No Oturu probably means starting Omersa at center and hoping Ihnen adds about 25 lbs of muscle and expectations fall commensurately with Oturu's massive skills. Omersa and Freeman make this a shaky back-up situation.

Looking at the lineup, I'd say their ceiling is a top 4 finish in the conference. I'd say the floor is probably 8-12 in conference if this year's shooting woes continue. Things should be better with more skill on the pine but I'd have a very short leash on any player that is incapable of consistently shooting well. Defense should be better allowing them to win some games where they struggle to score.

Will the conference be easier next year without Winston, Cowan, Garza, Weston, Simmons and the rest of the guys graduating/leaving early? Maybe, but other teams have better recruits stocking their shelves than we do.

We could finish anywhere from a 4 seed to the bubble without even thinking about who the coach is.

No Oturu, and I think the ceiling becomes the bubble.

There is a much, much bigger chance that Garza and Wesson return than Oturu does.

PG- Carr 6’2
Guard- Walton 6’5
Guard- Ihnen 6’9
Forward- Mitchel 6’10
Center- Oturo 6’10

Long athletic starting team.

Back ups
PG- Mashburn
Guard- Gabe, Tre, Willis
Forward- Omersa
Center- Freeman

Transfer- Greenlee
Wildcard- Curry

The number of losses will be directly proportional to the number of minutes that Omersa plays.

Middle of the pack (6 to 9) if Oturu returns, Weakling Wednesday bound if not.

With a new coach, who knows, perhaps the results are better?

If he returns (a big if) my expectation would be the ncaa tournament. I would still not expect a deep tourney run though which is my hesitation to bring Pitino back. It would be year 8 with no tournament run on the horizon. At some point that needs to be an expectation.

If he returns (a big if) my expectation would be the ncaa tournament. I would still not expect a deep tourney run though which is my hesitation to bring Pitino back. It would be year 8 with no tournament run on the horizon. At some point that needs to be an expectation.
NCAA appearances and runs are the expectation, and have been for decades. How have those expectations aged?

PG- Carr 6’2
Guard- Walton 6’5
Guard- Ihnen 6’9
Forward- Mitchel 6’10
Center- Oturo 6’10

Long athletic starting team.

Back ups
PG- Mashburn
Guard- Gabe, Tre, Willis
Forward- Omersa
Center- Freeman

Transfer- Greenlee
Wildcard- Curry

Mitchell is not starting next year and I can guarantee you Walton is not taking Gabe's starting spot. As much as people are hating on Gabe this year, I bet he will bounce back shooting-wise next year and he is a good defender. He will also be a veteran junior who knows the rigors of the conference

Mitchell is not starting next year and I can guarantee you Walton is not taking Gabe's starting spot. As much as people are hating on Gabe this year, I bet he will bounce back shooting-wise next year and he is a good defender. He will also be a veteran junior who knows the rigors of the conference
Is Walton coming here ?

They better be damn good if Oturu stays and they retain Pitino. Pitino will be on the thinnest ice. I would expect a Sweet 16 run or better.

Top Bottom