Even with poor non-conference slate, 21 wins should get the Gophers a ticket to the Madness

I thought the Gophers are not in the mix for the Tournament. They have no top wins. The problem is many others teams are ahead. Gophers would have to shock the nation in the Big Ten tournament.

NIT bubble team.

I thought the Gophers are not in the mix for the Tournament. They have no top wins. The problem is many others teams are ahead. Gophers would have to shock the nation in the Big Ten tournament.

NIT bubble team.

At this point we aren't. We may be able to get an at-large if we win out until the BTT final. But even then, I'm not so sure.

NIT bubble team.
When the NCAA expands to a 96 Team Field in the near future, a team like this years Gophers will be a lock to make the Dance.

When the NCAA expands to a 96 Team Field in the near future, a team like this years Gophers will be a lock to make the Dance.
Please no. The morons in charge should know that not only will that make the regular season a joke, but it will kill half the casual interest in March Madness.

Please no. The morons in charge should know that not only will that make the regular season a joke, but it will kill half the casual interest in March Madness.
I think it's a near certainty.

The monons in charge care only about $$$ so if they think they can make money off an expanded tournament they will do it in a heartbeat.

The monons in charge care only about $$$ so if they think they can make money off an expanded tournament they will do it in a heartbeat.
16 extra games watched by half as many people won't make more $$ in the long run.

16 extra games watched by half as many people won't make more $$ in the long run.
By my math an expansion of 68 to 96 would actually be 28 more games, not 16.

If they do, hopefully they reverse course after the ratings tank.
I completely agree, but has there ever been a Post-season/Playoff in any big time sport (NCAA or Pro) that has ever reversed course and reduced teams after expanding?

I completely agree, but has there ever been a Post-season/Playoff in any big time sport (NCAA or Pro) that has ever reversed course and reduced teams after expanding?
Probably not. But I'm not aware of any major sports increasing their play-off field by 50% in one swoop in recent decades either. It would be a monumentally stupid decision. They floated it in like 2010 and got rightfully mocked for it and backed down. That should have stayed the end of it.

Probably not. But I'm not aware of any major sports increasing their play-off field by 50% in one swoop in recent decades either. It would be a monumentally stupid decision. They floated it in like 2010 and got rightfully mocked for it and backed down. That should have stayed the end of it.
Maybe TV/Streaming partners have indicated they have more of an appetite for it? Just guessing, but from listening to the Dan Patrick Show (and he is firmly against it as well), he seems resigned to the fact it will likely happen.

Personally, I am not sure why they don't taper it more and only go to 72 with just a few more games in Dayton.

I think part of the expansion justification is that there are now 351 D1 programs. In 2010 it was barely over 300.

Maybe TV/Streaming partners have indicated they have more of an appetite for it? Just guessing, but from listening to the Dan Patrick Show (and he is firmly against it as well), he seems resigned to the fact it will likely happen.

Personally, I am not sure why they don't taper it more and only go to 72 with just a few more games in Dayton.

I think part of the expansion justification is that there are now 351 D1 programs. In 2010 it was barely over 300.
If it's all about $$, make the NCAA and NIT a package deal and make them bid for both together. If you want to expand something, make both the NCAA and NIT 64 teams.

If it's all about $$, make the NCAA and NIT a package deal and make them bid for both together. If you want to expand something, make both the NCAA and NIT 64 teams.
Maybe someone at the NCAA was reading my post today?!?😉

This article says an expansion to 72 or 76 teams is more likely.

Voila.

Voila.

Less is more. 72-76 would be ideal.

NIT bubble team.
They don't, but I have to imagine that the competitive losses to Purdue and Illinois have to mean something, but not a difference-maker. If they can the last 2 in this season and at least 2 in the BTT, we'd definitely have a good shot

Voila.
How about zero expansion?

I still think the "First 4" games are unnecessary. But I did hear recently they will have play-in types for each region, so 4 more games total. 72-76 sounds right.

The one thing I do like about the First Four is that it doesn't feel like the tournament yet. You need to win that game to actually get in the tournament. That's how I think of it.

The one thing I do like about the First Four is that it doesn't feel like the tournament yet. You need to win that game to actually get in the tournament. That's how I think of it.
Because they aren't part of the Bracket pools.

It makes more sense to expand the basketball tourney than the football playoff. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either.

This season is just too bad for our guys. They are a pretty good team and close to deserving I think of a bid or at least some consideration. The Iowa, Wisconsin and Missouri losses are what is going to kill them.
That and the fact that over half of the Big Ten is bad didnt' give them many chances for top wins throughout the season. Oh well, win the BTT I guess. I don't think we have the depth for that, but stranger things have happened.

If it comes down to the NIT, I myself would rather watch the grass try to grow or paint dry but it would be good for some more development I guess...

I don't like how they make the automatic qualifiers play the play in games. They all need to part of the Thursday/ Friday mayhem.

I don't like how they make the automatic qualifiers play the play in games. They all need to part of the Thursday/ Friday mayhem.
At least Fairleigh Dickinson proved that a Winner in the Auto-Qualifiers part of the First Four can do damage in the Round of 64 last year, with their upset of Purdue.

Top Bottom