Enjoying Gopher Basketball

Much more enjoyable this morning. I can't claim to have awakened Cam Christie, but credit to him for his big game. Player of the game?
Yup and he has a chance to be All B10 Freshman, especially if he continues to be a leader in scoring - he’s fearless.

Our three guards combined for 14 assists as well😃

Lol wait, what??
Weather is now. You step outside and know what professional weathermen know. Climate changes over time naturally.

As little as 12,000 years ago -- a moment in geological time -- the Arctic icecap was 500 feet deep over today's Twin Cities and extended as far south as today's Des Moines. Since then the natural cycle of warming made the upper half of the northern hemisphere habitable again.

And the natural cycles go on and on.

Weather is now. You step outside and know what professional weathermen know. Climate changes over time naturally.

As little as 12,000 years ago -- a moment in geological time -- the Arctic icecap was 500 feet deep over today's Twin Cities and extended as far south as today's Des Moines. Since then the natural cycle of warming made the upper half of the northern hemisphere habitable again.

And the natural cycles go on and on.

I don't disagree with any of this but that's not what you said. You said there is no relationship between weather and climate.

How do you have a climate without weather?

I don't disagree with any of this but that's not what you said. You said there is no relationship between weather and climate.

How do you have a climate without weather?
Weather is today and tomorrow. It can change dramatically in short order. That is meaningless within the natural climate cycles.

Weather is today and tomorrow. It can change dramatically in short order. That is meaningless within the natural climate cycles.

No it's not meaningless within the natural climate cycles. The definition of climate is: the weather conditions prevailing in an area in general or over a long period.

Without weather there is no climate. They are directly correlated.

No it's not meaningless within the natural climate cycles. The definition of climate is: the weather conditions prevailing in an area in general or over a long period.

Without weather there is no climate. They are directly correlated.
In general and over a long period is not affected by short term local conditions.

His daughter chose UW while he was coach. Ok that is totally fine but flying a flag while the HC. We had a vp state our products weren’t industry leading - he was gone in a month.
Your timeline is off. Mason's daughter went to UW, and his ex-wife flew the flag outside their house after he was shitcanned cuz she was bitter and pissed about the firing.

Mason didn't fly a Badgers flag outside his house while he was our coach LOL.

Every little engine that could is likable, especially after they've upset the worst team in the league. The objective is to be something better than the little engine that could.
Ill let Ben know.

Ill let Ben know.
There's no question Brian Coyle has told him. When he fired Whalen, he spoke about aspiring to a "championship level" of basketball that she hadn't attained. Obviously, this men's thing is nowhere near a championship level of anything. A road win against the decimated Penn State program is a good day and better than losing, but it's still a ways away from the level the program was at under the previous coach who was fired for not doing well enough.

There's no question Brian Coyle has told him. When he fired Whalen, he spoke about aspiring to a "championship level" of basketball that she hadn't attained. Obviously, this men's thing is nowhere near a championship level of anything. A road win against the decimated Penn State program is a good day and better than losing, but it's still a ways away from the level the program was at under the previous coach who was fired for not doing well enough.
Brian, Mark, same difference. Anywho, Coyle said that same type of thing when he introduced Fleck.

The previous coach was in his eighth year and the program was trending down. Doesn't even consider the fact that Pitino was handed a team that had won an NCAA Tournament game the year prior......and Johnson was handed a "team" that won five BT games the year prior and an empty roster.

The program is not "still a ways away" from the level of the program that Pitino had it at when he was fired. It's in a similar place......the difference being that the program is looking up now....not down.

The previous coach was in his eighth year and the program was trending down. Doesn't even consider the fact that Pitino was handed a team that had won an NCAA Tournament game the year prior......and Johnson was handed a "team" that won five BT games the year prior and an empty roster.

The program is not "still a ways away" from the level of the program that Pitino had it at when he was fired. It's in a similar place......the difference being that the program is looking up now....not down.
Yeah I don't get how people don't understand the program direction dictates who gets fired. If Pitino's program was trending upwards he'd still be here. But then again people are intentionally dishonest depending on if they like the coach or not.

Enough with the revisionist history. Don't be intellectually dishonest. You're better than that. Be truthful. The roster was not empty when he was hired. Re-recruiting current players when you take over a program is practically on the position description for any coaching job.

Enough with the revisionist history. Don't be intellectually dishonest. You're better than that. Be truthful. The roster was not empty when he was hired. Re-recruiting current players when you take over a program is practically on the position description for any coaching job.
It's on the AD for hiring a coach with limited connections to the current players and with 0 head coaching experience. Everyone could have told you the team was going to be bad before it got better because of the choice the AD made.

It's on the AD for hiring a coach with limited connections to the current players and with 0 head coaching experience. Everyone could have told you the team was going to be bad before it got better because of the choice the AD made.
Sure, most of us do blame the AD or whoever forced the AD to make the hire.

Sure, most of us do blame the AD or whoever forced the AD to make the hire.
I'm highly aware. Coyle isn't going to fire Ben and decide to start over because of program wins the 1st 2 years of his tenure. If the team sucks down the stretch and is trending down sure.

Yeah I don't get how people don't understand the program direction dictates who gets fired. If Pitino's program was trending upwards he'd still be here. But then again people are intentionally dishonest depending on if they like the coach or not.
Some struggle with the concept that every year/coach is different and the standards change and evolve over time. We also have a number here that are only focused on the W/L record and that is the only thing they seem to be able to look at.

I don't know if Johnson will work out long term but I am encouraged by what I am seeing out of this team this year. Some in here won't be able to get over the first 2 years and will want to blow it up after this year and start over again. My guess is Johnson is very close to having shown enough this year to justify a 4th year.....not in the minds of some of the posters here.....but to those that have any control over the situation I bet he is really close.

I'm highly aware. Coyle isn't going to fire Ben and decide to start over because of program wins the 1st 2 years of his tenure. If the team sucks down the stretch and is trending down sure.
Well, okay, but that has nothing to do with what I posted and I don't really disagree with you.

As to your last point, do you think the team has to be trending down from last year? Trending down from this year? Honest question, what does trending down look like to you?

Yes it was. The roster was empty. Mashburn was going to follow Pitino, Robbins was going to follow his uncle, and Carr was probably going to leave even if Pitino had been retained.

You can't possibly argue that the roster was in a good place when Johnson took over. Maybe he manages to hold onto Gabe? Gach? What young talent outside of Mashburn (who wasn't staying) was remaining to build around?

Well, okay, but that has nothing to do with what I posted and I don't really disagree with you.

As to your last point, do you think the team has to be trending down from last year? Trending down from this year? Honest question, what does trending down look like to you?
I mean in the current situation I think finishing with less than 8 wins in the B1G would be trending down and a move would be justified considering the start.

I'll do this again. Let's look at Pikiell and Johnson (from t-rank)

Rutgers:
2016 (Eddie Jordan) #271 overall, #293 offense, #229 defense, 1-17 in conference
2017 (Pikiell) #132, #224, #72, 3-15
2918 #127, #283, #22, 3-15
2019 #77, #181, #50, 7-13

MN:
2021 (Pitino) #67, #88, #81, 6-14
2022 (Johnson) #110, #98, #143, 4-16
2023 #207, #218, #193, 2-17
2024 #93, #105, #81, 4-5 so far

Pikiell took over a MUCH worse team and did alot of losing, but the defensive metrics were clearly getting better (they went to #8 in 2020). There just isn't anything like this to point to with Johnson, although the defense has gotten back to Pitino-level.

Top Bottom