Enjoying Gopher Basketball

From my vantage point it looks like we are at the same place, in terms of team development arc, that Wisconsin was at this time last season.

Both teams are/were inconsistent. They were learning how to win last season. The difference is they had expectations last season we did not.

Both team’s flaws are different. I see us as a team that gets into a rush offensively. Then we go through scoring droughts. I often see mitchell and Christie in particular take a series of off balance shots. Usually it gets corrected and then we make our push.

I think given our preseason expectations, people nationally are more likely to consider us a surprise vs embarrassing. They are more likely to see a team that needs to tighten up their process. Once done we should be fairly good.

By this time last year, Wisconsin had already beaten 5 tournament teams, we've maybe beaten one. They were a 2 seed in the NIT, I doubt we'll even make it. We are pretty far behind what they were last year.

I don't think that is a rule. I think that's just something in your head. Do you think a single Georgetown law graduate is wishing he/she went to Alabama or Tennessee instead?

I guess I agree more or less with the non-bolded sentence but institutions often feel compelled to do certain things even though those things aren't their top priorities. When it comes to sports, I think one factor that might tend to suppress enthusiasm for and investment in basketball at the U of M may be the popularity of hockey and the cultural significance of that sport to this state. Most Power Conference schools don't have to worry about investing in that competing sport.
Nah. Bad has it correct. WI went ahead in the early 90’s to be better at athletics and the money will follow. Oops. We had Nils who had English as his third language. A22.

Let us all eat, drink, be merry & rejoice that with Nebraska's win over Ohio State last night, the Huskers at least for today have moved into the NET top 50,. The Gophers (for now) have a win over a top 50 NET opponent!

View attachment 29753
Were you sporting a #44 jersey at the game last night?

The 🎥 was crushing on him.

Let us all eat, drink, be merry & rejoice that with Nebraska's win over Ohio State last night, the Huskers at least for today have moved into the NET top 50,. The Gophers (for now) have a win over a top 50 NET opponent!

View attachment 29753

The season is over 60% complete and the Huskers haven't faded yet. Good for them! I always liked Hoiberg and I'm glad basketball is giving their fans a major sport to enjoy while the football team is still down. I hope they make the tournament.

I don't think that is a rule. I think that's just something in your head. Do you think a single Georgetown law graduate is wishing he/she went to Alabama or Tennessee instead?

I guess I agree more or less with the non-bolded sentence but institutions often feel compelled to do certain things even though those things aren't their top priorities. When it comes to sports, I think one factor that might tend to suppress enthusiasm for and investment in basketball at the U of M may be the popularity of hockey and the cultural significance of that sport to this state. Most Power Conference schools don't have to worry about investing in that competing sport.
Georgetown grads probably don't regret going there, but they may talk about it more often when the basketball team is good. I worked in St. Paul for about a dozen years and constantly met people who offered that they went to St. Thomas. There were Macalester and Hamline grads, but they never mentioned it.

And, as has been mentioned many times, people are more willing to donate to schools with winning teams -- twice as much, according to the study below.

Nah. Bad has it correct. WI went ahead in the early 90’s to be better at athletics and the money will follow. Oops. We had Nils who had English as his third language. A22.

Look, Wisconsin is a fine university and has been pretty successful in athletics over the last 30 years but anyone (other than a player or coach or athletic administrator) who ties his self-esteem to success in college sports probably needs psychoanalysis.

Dawson? No he didnt.

His only chance of getting a waiver was using close to home sickness after he bailed on his team midseason. Which was coincidentally the second team that got instantly better when he left.

No sh it continuity is why teams get better. But a team thats bad doesnt just magically become good because of continuity. The whole big10 is going to get better, the league is bad this year. If you cant win in this one its not gonna happen next year.

All I said was comparing the gophers to wisconsin last year is mental. Because that badgers team did more with a tougher schedule. And they got better because they brought everyone back and added Storr.

You write like a hostile teenager with a fuzzy brain and a poor vocabulary.

"All I said was comparing the gophers to wisconsin last year is mental." Mental? How about inaccurate?

"the league is bad this year" Well, according to this analysis (https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2022/net-conference) the Big Ten is ranked #2 among conferences in NET (Big 12 is #1) so I would say "bad" is another poor word choice.

You write like a hostile teenager with a fuzzy brain and a poor vocabulary.

"All I said was comparing the gophers to wisconsin last year is mental." Mental? How about inaccurate?

"the league is bad this year" Well, according to this analysis (https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2022/net-conference) the Big Ten is ranked #2 among conferences in NET (Big 12 is #1) so I would say "bad" is another poor word choice.

No, comparing them to Wisconsin last year is mental. Because it is not even close.

As 1 poster already pointed out Wisconsin had 5 wins against tournament teams at this time. The gophers have 1(I will say Nebraska gets in). The gophers have 0 Quad 1 wins and NINE in Q4. And again, its also assuming the gophers can maintain AND enhance their roster next year the same way. Its a mental thought. And that is proper vocabulary. If you need help on the dictionary find a tutor.

And no, "bad" was a perfect choice of words. This is a bad year for the league. They are projected to get 6/14 teams into the tournament, that actually would be closer to awful.

I'd say you are attempting a poor choice of a hill to die on. Because there is not a objective person in college basketball that will say this is a good year for the Big10.

The metrics do have the B1G as #2, AND you can say it’s a down year. The reason the league is ranked that high is that the top end has 4 teams in about the top 15 or so (MSU is still up there). However, it’s also true that the number of teams that kinda suck is greater this year - last year MN was pretty much the only one, and this year you have several.

You’re both right.

Look, Wisconsin is a fine university and has been pretty successful in athletics over the last 30 years but anyone (other than a player or coach or athletic administrator) who ties his self-esteem to success in college sports probably needs psychoanalysis.
🙋‍♂️ @Spaulding!No! definetly needs psychoanalysis.

The metrics do have the B1G as #2, AND you can say it’s a down year. The reason the league is ranked that high is that the top end has 4 teams in about the top 15 or so (MSU is still up there). However, it’s also true that the number of teams that kinda suck is greater this year - last year MN was pretty much the only one, and this year you have several.

You’re both right.

No, he is not right.

Yes, conference ratings are a composite of ALL teams in that conference. So, if a conference is rated #2, you can't say that it is "bad." Maybe the conference isn't so great but saying it's "bad" is simply wrong because that would mean that at least every conference ranking below it must be bad. If that were the case, then college basketball must be "bad."

There is only one conference team ranking below 100 on NET (PSU) and they're not far below 100. A top 100 team isn't "bad" given that the team is ranked in the top 28% of D1 teams. Rankings are always in comparison to objects in the sample, not some subjective ideal.

You’re both right.

The link he posted was correct. But hes incorrect in stating that my word choice was wrong. And that is all I ever stated. This is a bad year for the league. Tournament revenue is huge. 6/14 teams would be like I mentioned closer to awful.

A conference NET ranking takes cumulative teams into account. So a league like the BE gets weighed down because gtown and DePaul(an abomination) are so bad.

What that link he posted wont show is that 9/11(81%) of the BE are in the top 62. That means 9 out of 11 teams in that league are Q1 road games and the worst of the 9 is THIRTEEN spots from the bubble.

They also have a round robin schedule. So as a top 9 team you are quaranteed right now to have EIGHT Q1 road opportunities. And right now 3 Q1 home opportunities(unless youre one of the top 3 then its 2)

Right now 8/14 BIG10 teams are in the top 75 of the NET for Q1 road opportunity. And you have to play them on the road which isnt a certainty with the unbalanced schedule. With Northwestern barely hanging on at 73.

Big East teams will have 16 of their 20 league games be Q1 or Q2. Meanwhile in the big 10 playing teams like Indiana and Maryland at home is Q3

He posted a convenient link to try and point to poor word choice on my end. Which does not accurately show the state of the big10 and why they are projected so few teams. They dont have enough quality win opportunities and its an objectively a bad year.

Last edited:

No, he is not right.

Yes, conference ratings are a composite of ALL teams in that conference. So, if a conference is rated #2, you can't say that it is "bad." Maybe the conference isn't so great but saying it's "bad" is simply wrong because that would mean that at least every conference ranking below it must be bad. If that were the case, then college basketball must be "bad."

There is only one conference team ranking below 100 on NET (PSU) and they're not far below 100. A top 100 team isn't "bad" given that the team is ranked in the top 28% of D1 teams. Rankings are always in comparison to objects in the sample, not some subjective ideal.

Well thanks for revealing to everyone you do not know how college basketball works.

No, he is not right.

On 1/24/23, there were two teams below #67 on T-rank (MN & Neb). On 1/24/24, there are 6 teams below that (starting at #79 Mich, MD, MN, IU, RU, and PSU).

The bottom of the league has more lower ranked teams than last year - it's not arguable.

Also, I'll point out that the league average is also helped by no one being nearly as bad as '23 MN, who was in the low 200s.

Georgetown grads probably don't regret going there, but they may talk about it more often when the basketball team is good. I worked in St. Paul for about a dozen years and constantly met people who offered that they went to St. Thomas. There were Macalester and Hamline grads, but they never mentioned it.
Piper Pride in the house!

Tommies have frequently shown their insecurities by acting like they went to an elite private school out east - last time I checked ✔️, that ain’t Summit Avenue.
And, as has been mentioned many times, people are more willing to donate to schools with winning teams -- twice as much, according to the study below.

On 1/24/23, there were two teams below #67 on T-rank (MN & Neb). On 1/24/24, there are 6 teams below that (starting at #79 Mich, MD, MN, IU, RU, and PSU).

The bottom of the league has more lower ranked teams than last year - it's not arguable.

Also, I'll point out that the league average is also helped by no one being nearly as bad as '23 MN, who was in the low 200s.

Those are fair points but #2 is still #2 and if #2 is bad, then every conference below that must be bad. We're not talking about subsets of conferences. There will be fewer Big Ten teams in the NCAA tournament this season but I would say that what the league mostly demonstrated in those 9 bid years was that it didn't deserve 9 bids.

Those are fair points but #2 is still #2 and if #2 is bad, then every conference below that must be bad. We're not talking about subsets of conferences. There will be fewer Big Ten teams in the NCAA tournament this season but I would say that what the league mostly demonstrated in those 9 bid years was that it didn't deserve 9 bids.
With all due respect, yes we are talking about subsets of conferences. If you have more bad teams, the bad teams have a better shot at winning a few of those. A bad team last year only had only one or two games against the other bad team; this year there are many more opportunities.

With all due respect, yes we are talking about subsets of conferences. If you have more bad teams, the bad teams have a better shot at winning a few of those. A bad team last year only had only one or two games against the other bad team; this year there are many more opportunities.

There is only one team (PSU) ranked below 100 (NET) in the conference and that team isn't far below 100. Those 100 teams represent approximately the top 28% of teams in NET ranking. If a team within the top 28% is "bad," then what is a team ranked within the bottom 72%? Horrific? Garbage? Waste of Space?

There is only one team (PSU) ranked below 100 (NET) in the conference and that team isn't far below 100. Those 100 teams represent approximately the top 28% of teams in NET ranking. If a team within the top 28% is "bad," then what is a team ranked within the bottom 72%? Horrific? Garbage? Waste of Space?

I'd say if you don't make the ncaa tournament or NIT, you're effectively a bad basketball team(100 combined teams). Just because there are 250+ bad teams, doesn't make team 100 good. The B1G is down, it just is what it is. It's not like it matters anyway, we aren't doing anything worth a damn this year anyway.

I assume like many of you last night, you were on the edge of your couch/chair thinking that we could actually beat bucky(if you weren't I truly feel sorry for you and your half empty cup).

I feel like we have had a chance in every game we have played, but just can't seem to finish them(for many reasons). This is FAR different than the last few years. The only team I feel we have very little chance to beat is Purdue, the rest of the Big10 is beatable by the Gophers.

I truly am enjoying this season unlike the last 2 seasons. Losing is always hard and losing close ones to your rivals is even harder. This world is full of negativity and SM pushes that narrative. Hiding behind a keyboard or phone makes it very easy to rip on someone or a team. I will choose to stay positive and support OUR team until the end.

I know the "half empty" crew will chime in and rip this thread and me to pieces but I said what I said.

I see the future being bright

GO GOPHERS!!!!
Agreed. 1 or 2 points don't matter to me this year....I'm hoping we return everyone next year! And even add a great player...!!

I assume like many of you last night, you were on the edge of your couch/chair thinking that we could actually beat bucky(if you weren't I truly feel sorry for you and your half empty cup).

I feel like we have had a chance in every game we have played, but just can't seem to finish them(for many reasons). This is FAR different than the last few years. The only team I feel we have very little chance to beat is Purdue, the rest of the Big10 is beatable by the Gophers.

I truly am enjoying this season unlike the last 2 seasons. Losing is always hard and losing close ones to your rivals is even harder. This world is full of negativity and SM pushes that narrative. Hiding behind a keyboard or phone makes it very easy to rip on someone or a team. I will choose to stay positive and support OUR team until the end.

I know the "half empty" crew will chime in and rip this thread and me to pieces but I said what I said.

I see the future being bright

GO GOPHERS!!!!
Well I think the thread managed to stay positive for part of one page....that has to count for something :)

The other humiliating thing is seeing the former Gopher volleyball player in the stands decked out in Badger gear cheering her son playing for our rival. (Or, for that matter, seeing Darrell Thompson at Williams Arena in the cream and crimson cheering Race trying to beat the Gophers.) I know this happens to every school from now to then, but what the Badgers are doing in this state...I have never seen anything like it anywhere anytime.

Top Bottom