End of the Kirk Ferentz Era Too?

So.... interesting, eh?

Was this a message to Hawkeye Nation, or was it really a shot across the bow intended for Ferentz's superiors?

He might be telling them, "Screw you. You think you can push me out? Guess again; I have a contract. If you want to get rid of me, you'll have to fire me... and then write me big checks in my retirement."
At this point it's only about money and Kirk's prestige/legacy. He's going to get money -- lots of it. And he's going to dictate for the most part the terms of his departure. But he knows recruiting is going to get tough in the near future and he will not want leave a loser.

Very delicate for Ferentz.

At this point it's only about money and Kirk's prestige/legacy. He's going to get money -- lots of it. And he's going to dictate for the most part the terms of his departure. But he knows recruiting is going to get tough in the near future and he will not want leave a loser.

Very delicate for Ferentz.

Mmmmmm... maybe recruiting won't be all that tough at Iowa, thanks to the Swarm Collective.

I bet P.J. Fleck wishes he had a collective here at Minnesota that would find a $600.00 an hour job driving a bus and visiting old folk's homes for a prized transfer target, as the Swarm Collective did to help convince Cade McNamara to transfer to Iowa from Michigan.

Fleck and the Gophers have to compete with Iowa on the field, but I don't think Minnesota has anything comparable to the Swarm Collective. Money talks in college football these days.

Last edited:

Mmmmmm... maybe recruiting won't be all that tough at Iowa, thanks to the Swarm Collective.

I bet P.J. Fleck wishes he had a collective here at Minnesota that would find a $600.00 an hour job driving a bus and visiting old folk's homes for a prized transfer target, as the Swarm Collective did to help convince Cade McNamara to transfer to Iowa from Michigan.

Fleck and the Gophers have to compete with Iowa on the field, but I don't think Minnesota has anything comparable to the Swarm Collective. Money talks in college football these days.
Nah, the good ones want to play on a winner. And are you so sure this $600 an hour job is such a great thing? Has he worked 600 hours so far? That would be a middling -- $360,000 --college football income according to the noise put out by NIL "sources".

Or has he put in two hours for $1200? Neither one of us knows.

Good transfers and recruits are going to be avoiding Iowa City until this storm fades.

Nah, the good ones want to play on a winner. And are you so sure this $600 an hour job is such a great thing? Has he worked 600 hours so far? That would be a middling -- $360,000 --college football income according to the noise put out by NIL "sources".

Good transfers and recruits are going to be avoiding Iowa City until this storm fades.

What the hell....?????

I thought he had a big contract? What are the details? He can't be going anywhere. The contract is binding and big. I can't imagine anyone just walking away from all that money. Maybe he's leaving at the end of the contract.

His son as OC is moving on. How does that change the contract?

I thought he had a big contract? What are the details? He can't be going anywhere. The contract is binding and big. I can't imagine anyone just walking away from all that money. Maybe he's leaving at the end of the contract.

His son as OC is moving on. How does that change the contract?
He does have a big contract. He is not going to just walk away from it.

But, Iowa wants him out. Ferentz does not want to leave as a loser because his recruiting will be hurt going forward. So they both want him gone. But Ferentz has to protect his money, prestige, and Hall-of-Fame pedigree.

They will posture and negotiate. He may stay one more year. No more than that.

So.... interesting, eh?

Was this a message to Hawkeye Nation, or was it really a shot across the bow intended for Ferentz's superiors?

He might be telling them, "Screw you. You think you can push me out? Guess again; I have a contract. If you want to get rid of me, you'll have to fire me... and then write me big checks in my retirement."
And Goetz responded already with her being glad he is staying and she wouldn’t have it any other way.

See Post #92 in this thread.
That post is what prompted my question. You are the one saying they are a physical offense. I'm asking what makes them a physical offense? There must be some traits their offense has to make you claim they are physical. What traits are those?

The article in question was clear that he had 2 sources of NIL income. The $600/hr job was from the "charity" wing of the collective and the "revenue" wing of the collective was delivering presentations and glad-handing big boosters and was much more $$ (but the amount was not specified).

Yeah, he’ll probably retire in 2030.
It isn’t going to be at K-State though.
He will be at K-State as long as Gene Taylor is there as AD. He is intensely loyal and best friends with him. Plus K-state and Kansas will soon be among the perennial favorites in the Big 12

That post is what prompted my question. You are the one saying they are a physical offense. I'm asking what makes them a physical offense? There must be some traits their offense has to make you claim they are physical. What traits are those?

Holy Cow. Wowza.

Let's try this:
What I should have said (obviously) is that Iowa wants to play a physical style of football. Sometimes — lately — they have fallen short of their own aspirations in that respect. Kind of like my golf game: not always up to my own expectations.

To recap, what I originally said was:
Iowa plays conservative, run-oriented and physical on offense.

Now, I'm adding an edit to my original statement:
Iowa's offense is conservative, run-oriented and they want to play a tough and physical style when they possess the ball.

This is a fair description of what they've always done on offense under Ferentz, and they've never changed because over the years it has been pretty successful for them. Despite the fact that some fans hate their conservative offense, Iowa has been able to win a lot of football games playing that style.

Can you live with that?

Last edited:

Holy Cow. Wowza.

Let's try this:
What I should have said (obviously) is that Iowa wants to play a physical style of football. Sometimes — lately — they have fallen short of their own aspirations in that respect. Kind of like my golf game: not always up to my own expectations.

Iowa's offense is conservative, run-oriented and they want to play a tough and physical style when they possess the ball.

This is a fair description of what they've always done on offense under Ferentz, and they've never changed because over the years it has been pretty successful for them. Despite the fact that some fans hate their conservative offense, Iowa has been able to win a lot of football games playing that style.

Can you live with that?
No need to get defensive. If you would’ve said that in the first place, I would’ve understood.

Holy Cow. Wowza.

Let's try this:

Can you live with that?
Are there a lot of football teams and coaches who do not want to play tough and physical?

Are there a lot of football teams and coaches who do not want to play tough and physical?

There are some who put more emphasis on physical play than others.

Last edited:

Some have a different style, yes.

Iowa's style on offense is conservative, run-oriented, and endeavors to be physically tough.

Some styles of offense — particularly the more pass-oriented attacks — might put more emphasis on, say, being quick and agile than on physical power. They might put more effort and practice time into being creative and/or innovative than they do on attempting to grind their opponent down physically.

They still want to be physical, of course, because this is football, but their primary focus is to out-think their opponent, not overpower them.

Are you new to football, Dak? This is all pretty basic.

Last edited:

Some have a different style, yes.

Iowa's style on offense is conservative, run-oriented, and endeavors to be physically tough.

Some styles of offense — particularly the more pass-oriented attacks — might put more emphasis on, say, being quick and agile than on physical power. They might put more effort and practice time into being creative and/or innovative than they do on attempting to grind their opponent down physically.

They still want to be physical, of course, because this is football, but their primary focus is to out-think their opponent, not overpower them.

Are you new to football, Dak? This is all pretty basic.
Ok, I see where you are coming from. You, not being new to football, have discovered that if a team passes 50 times a game their offensive line then has 50 snaps to drink ice tea and paint their toes.

Oh boy howdy, you and KJP sure know a lot about football.

The article in question was clear that he had 2 sources of NIL income. The $600/hr job was from the "charity" wing of the collective and the "revenue" wing of the collective was delivering presentations and glad-handing big boosters and was much more $$ (but the amount was not specified).
My question was why assume it’s huge money when nobody knows the total. The charity $600 an hour means nothing unless he gets lots of hours. Nobody knows.

My question was why assume it’s huge money when nobody knows the total. The charity $600 an hour means nothing unless he gets lots of hours. Nobody knows.

Newsflash: People who taxi folks from here to there on a small bus, or visit people at a nursing home, do not generally make $600.00 an hour, Dak. In fact, they don't generally make anything close to that.

Which makes the entire 'arrangement' seem a bit, mmmmmm, shall we say, curious.

Buuuuut, hey, maybe Cade McNamara left Michigan to play at Iowa because he loved his visit to Iowa City. The Paris of the midwest.

Whaddya think?

That's actually hilarious that the meme is that Jim can’t wait to bolt to the NFL, meanwhile he might soon be the 2nd longest tenured coach in the big ten. Sometimes the internet is so stupid it’s funny.
The sign stealing thing eliminated his next NFL opportunity

Newsflash: People who taxi folks from here to there on a small bus, or visit people at a nursing home, do not generally make $600.00 an hour, Dak. In fact, they don't generally make anything close to that.

Which makes the entire 'arrangement' seem a bit, mmmmmm, shall we say, curious.

Buuuuut, hey, maybe Cade McNamara left Michigan to play at Iowa because he loved his visit to Iowa City. The Paris of the midwest.

Whaddya think?
Are you entirely serious? Is it your argument after several days of this that $600 per hour is a lot of money for delivering meals or taxiing the elderly? Is there some way in creation your really think I disagreec with this?

My only point to you and my sole and consistent point has been:

Yes, that is an absurd amount to pay McNamara or any football player, even one who was not going to play this year. It would be a gift and not compensation.

But, do you know how many hours of $600 McNamara has logged? If it's a thousand, some action better be taken. If it's 100 hours, $60,000 for a QB not good enough to play at Michigan? Ho humm.

If it's one hour so far, all of your anquish over the Iowa Swarm collective or whatever it is called is no more important than you and AOC weeping at the border. Of no interest.

Top Bottom