End of the Kirk Ferentz Era Too?

If he does step down it'll be the first time since the 1978 that Minnesota has the longest tenured head coach out of Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin

Can’t wait to hear that stat 20 times a season.
Here's another one for ya. If Kirk steps down, Fleck becomes the longest tenured head coach in the Big Ten West (This even includes Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA if you want to include them in a "new" West) and across the entire Big Ten he would be tied for third with Tom Allen of Indiana, trailing only James Franklin and Jim Harbaugh.

It will be really interesting to see what happens.

Did the University really empower an interim AD make the decision to part ways with BF, knowing that KF was opposed?

Does this mean that she's getting the permanent job, allowing her to reclaim some of the power that the prior AD ceded to KF? Or did they have her pull the trigger so that the new AD didn't have to do it and immediately create conflict with KF?

Did it happen this way in spite of KF's objections, risking his ire? Or was it in part because of those objections hoping to provide the impetus to get him to walk out the door without having to fire him?

It will be really interesting to see what happens.

Did the University really empower an interim AD make the decision to part ways with BF, knowing that KF was opposed?

Does this mean that she's getting the permanent job, allowing her to reclaim some of the power that the prior AD ceded to KF? Or did they have her pull the trigger so that the new AD didn't have to do it and immediately create conflict with KF?

Did it happen this way in spite of KF's objections, risking his ire? Or was it in part because of those objections hoping to provide the impetus to get him to walk out the door without having to fire him?
An interim AD might be the best choice to do it.

New AD then gets to pick their guy. Or the interim picks the next coach and the new AD gets to avoid blame.

Kirk is gonna call three consecutive time outs at the end of the bowl game. Pour one out for the Ferentz coaching dynasty.

An interim AD might be the best choice to do it… the new AD gets to avoid blame.
Absolutely agree with this. Almost no chance KF could have a relationship with Beth now, but he could have a good one with an AD hired next month.

well, Kirk is 68. He is under contract through 2029

If IA tried to fire him without cause, they have to pay out 100% of his remaining base + supplemental salary - which this season would amount to $42-million.

So unless he retires, IA would have to come up with a valid cause to get out from under that buyout.

is Kirk willing to walk away from $40-million out of loyalty to his kid?

I watched his weekly presser this afternoon and I can honestly say that I have never seen a person so nervous standing in front of a group of reporters. His mood, tone of voice, and the way he side-stepped questions tells me he is done at the end of the year. His power was stripped from him and now he is just an employee that can't call the shots.

There's a really good chance they actually win the west division of the big 10 this year. Our loss to Northwestern and us having to play at Ohio State are going to kill us. Their schedule is so easy. They can score three points and win the next four games.

There's a really good chance they actually win the west division of the big 10 this year. Our loss to Northwestern and us having to play at Ohio State are going to kill us. Their schedule is so easy. They can score three points and win the next four games.
I don't think either Rutgers or Nebraska will be easy for them.

Here's another one for ya. If Kirk steps down, Fleck becomes the longest tenured head coach in the Big Ten West (This even includes Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA if you want to include them in a "new" West) and across the entire Big Ten he would be tied for third with Tom Allen of Indiana, trailing only James Franklin and Jim Harbaugh.
Tom Allen has been at Indiana that long? What does it take to get fired at Indiana?

I don’t think KF an idiot, but he sure has blinders about his son. I mean, cut the cord Kirk…your son is a national joke at this point.

well, Kirk is 68. He is under contract through 2029

If IA tried to fire him without cause, they have to pay out 100% of his remaining base + supplemental salary - which this season would amount to $42-million.

So unless he retires, IA would have to come up with a valid cause to get out from under that buyout.

is Kirk willing to walk away from $40-million out of loyalty to his kid?

Maybe the Iowa brass has seen this Brian Ferentz/interim AD thing as an opportunity all along.

Perhaps they were kind of ready to see Kirk leave, and if so, this might be one way to hasten the exit.

I know there's a lot of money involved, but on the other hand I doubt if Kirk, at 68 years old, has to worry too much about money at this point in his life. He's made plenty. And I really have a hard time picturing him turning the other cheek and staying on at Iowa while pretending everything is hunky-dory. This was a direct and deliberate challenge to his position and his authority.

I think it is not so much Beth...the outgoing AD had a contract setup with the Ferentz family and the Frentz family didn't meet it. Beth just enforced it.
PJ may end up right behind Franklin in tenure.
Harbaugh may leave...it's ugly at Michigan.
Allen will get fired at Indiana.

If he is going to retire in the next 2-4 years, I have a hard time believing he is going to stay on next year after the AD made him fire his son

But if he thinks he has 5-10 years left he may run it back for one more run with a new OC

Tom Allen has been at Indiana that long? What does it take to get fired at Indiana?
Just a couple of weeks ago mid 1st half of the Michigan game people on this board were saying he is better than fleck

I think Beth is simply the good soldier here, doing as she has been told to do by her bosses.

She's leaving, too, so she doesn't really have to care too much who is coaching at Iowa next season.

Just a couple of weeks ago mid 1st half of the Michigan game people on this board were saying he is better than fleck
Yeah, Allen is a great coach to have around during a pandemic. Since then he's won 2 Big Ten games in 3 years.

Top Bottom