Emerson Mandell

Jimmy Gjere 2.0. I wish him well but we’re losing a recruit from Irondale. I don’t recall any D1 football players coming irondale ever…. Head Coach James Manuel is a Kill guy. He may have had an influence..
You do realize Jimmy Gjere came to Minnesota and was our top ranked recruit right? This isn't even close to a 2.0 situation.

Jimmy Gjere 2.0. I wish him well but we’re losing a recruit from Irondale. I don’t recall any D1 football players coming irondale ever…. Head Coach James Manuel is a Kill guy. He may have had an influence..
They have a ‘23 kid committed to Syracuse, also on the OL

Yes and never played a down. My point exactly. We passed on Billy Turner who’s still playing in the NFL.
You realize he was a starter (as a RS Freshman) for the Gophers until he had concussion issues, right? I still am having a hard time comprehending how this has anything to do with Emerson Mandell.

So you’re from Mounds View?
Big Billy Turner fan yes and an example of recruits from a school producing D1 guys who actually produced at the time. Recruiting is not a perfect science. Wish the Irondale kid the best of luck but happy with those who committed to the hometown team

Yes and never played a down. My point exactly. We passed on Billy Turner who’s still playing in the NFL.
Everyone in the country passed on Billy Turner. Every other Big 10 school. Every other Mountain West school. Every other MAC school. This is a truly idiotic argument. Of all of the recruits from that class, it’s insane you seem to have personal vendetta against Jimmy gjere. We took 5 OL from that class. Billy Turner was better than all of them (and most OL recruits in the entire nation). Jimmy Gjere, despite retiring early, was also better than all but 1 of our OL recruit.

This is the kind of irrationally bad take where the only thing that makes is there is something personal.

Everyone in the country passed on Billy Turner. Every other Big 10 school. Every other Mountain West school. Every other MAC school. This is a truly idiotic argument. Of all of the recruits from that class, it’s insane you seem to have personal vendetta against Jimmy gjere. We took 5 OL from that class. Billy Turner was better than all of them (and most OL recruits in the entire nation). Jimmy Gjere, despite retiring early, was also better than all but 1 of our OL recruit.

This is the kind of irrationally bad take where the only thing that makes is there is something personal.
Nothing personal whatsoever. Brewaters line and recruiting of O lineman was putrid. You’re incorrect though on who passed on Billy. The two weren’t comparable if you knew them or the level they played at junior and senior year. The offers came late and Billy already was committed. The only vendetta was to prove them wrong and start immediately.

My opinion is EM will never contribute at the BIG level. Not asking for agreement. My trust is in the guys we have.

Nothing personal whatsoever. Brewaters line and recruiting of O lineman was putrid. You’re incorrect though on who passed on Billy. The two weren’t comparable if you knew them or the level they played at junior and senior year. The offers came late and Billy already was committed. The only vendetta was to prove them wrong and start immediately.

My opinion is EM will never contribute at the BIG level. Not asking for agreement. My trust is in the guys we have.
I'm not wrong on who passed on Billy Turner.

He was supremely talented and would have been a good recruit for every single FBS program in the country. He ended up at North Dakota State. So while Brew missed on him, so did everyone else. That isn't a rip on Billy Turner. It's just the nature of the inexact science of football recruiting.

I like our OL recruits and I know nothing about EM. I just know that the fact that he went to the same HS as a decent Big 10 player who had concussions and had to retire (Gjere) like 10 years ago has any impact, whatsoever, on he'll be successful.

Gjere played and started 5 games.
Good correction. Redshirted his pure frosh year. Started the first 5 games of his RS freshman year, then injured and out the rest of the year, and retired from football the next fall due to injury recurrence (probably concussions).

FYI, Gjere has worked at Lake Area Docks and Lifts in Fergus Falls for over 9 years.

Last edited:

Top Bottom