Emerging Consensus on 3rd/4th Quarter Song

Voting was by text message, which means the targeted audience - the students - were most likely to respond. Ironically THEY chose Black Eyed Peas.

As much as I am an opponent of the BEP's, I thought it was a great song for the evening. 'Tonight's gonna be a good night' just fit in perfectly with the evening.

I graduated from college in the late 90's, but why on earth would we have a beatles song or a Rush song? If there was a student poll, then I say go with what the students want!

And a Beatles song? I'm in my early 30s and I don't listen to KOOL 108, and I seriously doubt today's college students do either. And these are the folks who are much more willing to get crazy then the vast majority of the crowd.

The crowd feeds off the student section, not the other way around - thus, whatever they want to get themselves going, I say go with that.

And a Beatles song? I'm in my early 30s and I don't listen to KOOL 108, and I seriously doubt today's college students do either. And these are the folks who are much more willing to get crazy then the vast majority of the crowd.

While I agree that we should avoid a Beatles or Rush song--you shouldn't really admit that you have no idea about music. Last I heard the Beatles are still the most popular group of all-time and that includes 30 year olds and college kids. Kool 108 is hardly the only station that plays them.

While I agree that we should avoid a Beatles or Rush song--you shouldn't really admit that you have no idea about music. Last I heard the Beatles are still the most popular group of all-time and that includes 30 year olds and college kids. Kool 108 is hardly the only station that plays them.

How are you defining "popular"? If it's "heard of", then of course. If it's actively listenting to Beatles songs on their iPod, I would bet your season tickets (not mine) the Beatles rank waaaay down on playlists for today's college kids.

And I don't believe I said Kool 108 is the only station that plays Beatles songs, but I would bet they play Beatles songs slightly more often than say 101.3, and even Cities 97 (just a hunch, though). And what is the demographic of the listening audience of Kool 108?

I'm pretty sure everybody is missing what is most obvious. The reason the athletic department had everybody text their choice for the song that should be played at the end of the 3rd quarter was for advertising purposes. I can't remember if it was a cell phone ad, or if it was another company that sponsored the promotion, but the concept was brought to us by somebody.

I'm guessing the new tradition is not going to be playing a specific song, but having fans text their favorite choice for song of the game as part of a year long promotion by some company.

Sorry, but as usual the opinions of gopherholers carry no weight.

This is correct. At least for last weeks game, it was a contest/fan interaction thing like the "Aflac trivia question" or the "ask Doug a question" during hockey games. Since it's only been one game, we'll have to wait to see if it's going to go farther than just a weekly promo.

Personally, if they were going to have an "official" 3rd/4th quarter transition song, it should be that Gopher rap song.

I change my vote to "The Final Countdown". Sure it's been done, but I'm guessing the boys from Europe can use the money.

As much as I am an opponent of the BEP's, I thought it was a great song for the evening. 'Tonight's gonna be a good night' just fit in perfectly with the evening.

Completely agree. I hate the BEPs. And I hated that song prior to it being played at the end of the 3rd quarter. Now I find it going through my head and I smile, since it reminds me of the greatest sporting event of my life. :D

Top Bottom