Emerging Consensus on 3rd/4th Quarter Song

Governor Sibley

Section 109 Row 21
Reaction score
Thanks to all who thoughtfully contributed to the earlier thread on which song should be used at the end of the 3rd quarter. Fortunately, there seems to be an emerging consensus. Since I've taken the time to examine, statistically analyze and privately rock-out to each of the songs, the last thread can be deleted. Our collective findings (already in Joel Maturi's email) seem to overwhelmingly indicate the song be either by The Beatles or RUSH. There were very few entries not falling under one of these two immortal bands, which restores momentary confidence in Western civilization.

I think I speak for all of us when I say that the only remaining question is: "Which RUSH or RUSH-like Beatles song should we choose?"

I'm really going into this with a completely open mind and I look forward to your responses!

:cool03:

AC/DC....

"You Shook Me All Night Long"

Great beat- multiple generational appeal. Just a thought.

I get angry whenever I hear baby-boomers use the word consensus. It always means that they failed to change anyone's mind but they are going to go ahead and pretend like they did, and see how hard people fight.

Apache was the runaway favorite. Quite disapointing it didn't make an appreance at the opener. It is one of the few true Gopher football "traditions". (quotes because wheather an in-game multi-media experiences can truly be a tradition, in the traditional sense of the word, is debatable)

Nobody wants to hear your damn hippie music. Save it for Macalester football games.

You need a song that the students can relate to. They are the ones who will be first to dance, and the first to end this attempt if they don't.

Why does there need to be a forced song that becomes a tradition for between he 3rd and 4th quarters? I think the 2 options listed here are terrible.

In addition, I have no idea what the songs were that were options last Saturday. I don't think I have ever heard any of them and you couldn't hear it well anyways in my section (245).

Why does there need to be a forced song that becomes a tradition for between he 3rd and 4th quarters? I think the 2 options listed here are terrible.

In addition, I have no idea what the songs were that were options last Saturday. I don't think I have ever heard any of them and you couldn't hear it well anyways in my section (245).

I agree, if it's between Rush and the Beatles it is going to be a long quarter break. The students really respond well to Living On A Prayer and that was used last year and played in the 4th quarter at the opener. I think it works well because multi-generations can appreciate the song and the chorus is really "crowd singalong" friendly.

My opinion:
The old song worked great, got the students pumped up and dancing, and EVEN THE PLAYERS COULD BE SEEN DANCING. to me that is the whole point of having a a tradition were a song is played every game before the 4th quarter. Tonto, Jump on it should be permanently placed as the song between the 3-4 Quarters. No other options can compare, an older song the students don't like, and a newer rap song the older crabs dont like.

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke dont fix it.

Why change whats working?

I get angry whenever I hear baby-boomers use the word consensus. It always means that they failed to change anyone's mind but they are going to go ahead and pretend like they did, and see how hard people fight.

Apache was the runaway favorite. Quite disapointing it didn't make an appreance at the opener. It is one of the few true Gopher football "traditions". (quotes because wheather an in-game multi-media experiences can truly be a tradition, in the traditional sense of the word, is debatable)

Nobody wants to hear your damn hippie music. Save it for Macalester football games.

YES. So true. There was no "consensus". It is just someone trying to ramrod their favorite music onto others. Sort of like the one guy that always seems to hover around the ipod dock to insert their own ipod, or fast forward to their favorite songs. There is always that "one guy" at every party or gathering.

My opinion:
The old song worked great, got the students pumped up and dancing, and EVEN THE PLAYERS COULD BE SEEN DANCING. to me that is the whole point of having a a tradition were a song is played every game before the 4th quarter. Tonto, Jump on it should be permanently placed as the song between the 3-4 Quarters. No other options can compare, an older song the students don't like, and a newer rap song the older crabs dont like.

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke dont fix it.

Why change whats working?

TITCR. Cosign. +1. Ditto. Generic internet term of agreement.

Rush is tough. Great band, one of the most awe-inspiring drummers of all time, but I find it difficult associating any of their songs with football. Maybe Spirit Of The Radio or Freewill, but Geddy Lee just doesn't have a "let's get fired up" kind of voice.

That being said - Why hasn't anyone nominated Running With The Devil/Ain't Talkin About Love/Unchained or pretty much any other song by Van Halen? The guitar riffs alone are enough to motivate. I can understand the context of a lot of their songs would be frown upon by the older crowd, but honestly, we cannot have another hip hop mashup that includes the word mazeltoff in its lyrics. It just sounds stupid. Like all music by the Black Eyed Peas.

Who decides these things, anyways? I saw percentages next to the song titles at the game last week, how did the voting take place?

Voting was by text message, which means the targeted audience - the students - were most likely to respond. Ironically THEY chose Black Eyed Peas.

Gross. I'm going to attribute that one to the female fanbase.

It was a 66% percent chance for the Black Eye Peas. If I were to guess, most of the stadium had no clue what the chosen song was.

The only song that should be considered is I'm Alright by Kenny Loggins. The song from Caddy Shack when the Gopher dances. Put a video of the gopher dancing on the score board. It would be awesome!

I am not a baby-boomer but I am very worried about the contextual reading comprehension skills of anyone who can't understand that Studwell is goofing around.

Gotta say I too am a big fan of I'm Alright with the Gopher. Please though, anything but Rush or The Beatles. There certainly was no consensu there.

When playing Wisconsin though, it would be sick of they started playing Jump Around.

The only song that should be considered is I'm Alright by Kenny Loggins. The song from Caddy Shack when the Gopher dances. Put a video of the gopher dancing on the score board. It would be awesome!
PERFECT! How much kick ass would it be to watch the students do that gopher dance at the ending credits

This is America. Not everyone is going to be completely happy with the music that is chosen. Thats just the way it is. There are too many different options with too many different ages at these games. I say what the students/players want, they get. It's as simple as that.

I am not a baby-boomer but I am very worried about the contextual reading comprehension skills of anyone who can't understand that Studwell is goofing around.

:rolleyes:

This is why I like Winnipeg--even if he does send me weird pictures of himself in the shower with his face blurred-out through his GH mail.

LET ME CLEAR MY THROAT-DJ KOOL, no contest, great beat and i would drunk dance the hell out of that song and i know im not the only one

:rolleyes:

This is why I like Winnipeg--even if he does send me weird pictures of himself in the shower with his face blurred-out through his GH mail.
Darn, I thought I was the only one who got those. I'll have to reconsider whether he really had that score for the Syracuse game.

I'm pretty sure everybody is missing what is most obvious. The reason the athletic department had everybody text their choice for the song that should be played at the end of the 3rd quarter was for advertising purposes. I can't remember if it was a cell phone ad, or if it was another company that sponsored the promotion, but the concept was brought to us by somebody.

I'm guessing the new tradition is not going to be playing a specific song, but having fans text their favorite choice for song of the game as part of a year long promotion by some company.

Sorry, but as usual the opinions of gopherholers carry no weight.

in the minority here but i would much rather "choose" a song every game and have the student pick it than be stuck with twist and shout or some other lame beatles/rush song--i trust the students over anyone born in the 70's or before...sorry but its true...hopefully we will have a couple of good ones to pick from that's all

Top Bottom