Email from Kaler (aka Mr. Potter)

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Long list of things they need money for. Gist of message: we need money, screw you. He has become Mr. Potter in "It's a Wonderful Life"; money first, people last

And yes, the form letter in posts below is the same..

Long list of things they need money for. Gist of message: we need money, screw you. He has become Mr. Potter in "It's a Wonderful Life"; money first, people last.

I'd be willing to bet your email is verbatim the same as the one sent me. I'm sure it's a form letter. Here's the one I received:

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for taking the time to write me, and thank you for your support for Gopher football.

My priority as president is for the University of Minnesota to be excellent in all we do. That excellence in athletics requires us to be competitive. The additional funding generated by increasing scholarship seating donations is needed to help pay for our student-athletes' tuition, books, room and board, nutritional guidance, equipment, travel, athletic medicine, community service programs, leadership coaching, and life-skills development. We have not adjusted our scholarship seating donation levels since TCF Bank Stadium opened in 2009, and we are at a significant disadvantage compared to our Big Ten peers and their ability to fully support their student-athletes. We need this additional revenue to support our student-athletes to the fullest extent possible while continuing to maintain a balanced budget for the Athletics Department in the years to come.

Thanks again for sharing your concerns with me and Go Gophers!

Sincerely,

Eric W. Kaler

President

This athletics thing IS the unquenchable fire. It'll burn whatever you throw in there.

Long list of things they need money for. Gist of message: we need money, screw you. He has become Mr. Potter in "It's a Wonderful Life"; money first, people last.

I am not trying to single you out because many have posted the same or similar frustration on this topic, but what type of a response did you really hope to receive from Kaler? Embarrassment? Tears? Nothing short of “Norwood did WHAT?!?!? Don’t worry, I’ll take care of this!!” is going to satisfy you. The same goes for people complaining about the content of their telephone conversations to discuss the changes. What could they say that would placate you? You aren’t going to get some line employee in the athletic department to waive the donation requirement or confess that they are scared to death that this might not work. They can say they are sorry that it doesn’t work for you and that they appreciate your prior support, but if you feel like you have been screwed over, that isn’t going to have any impact.

The whole thing might well backfire, but they are committed to it for now unless and until the AD changes course. By all means, voice your displeasure and vote with your feet, but I don’t get the outrage over the tone of the response. A form letter from the President of the University or the AD? Gasp, I expect a personal call each time I raise a concern. We had an AD who would respond to every e-mail he ever got and I, for one, thought that was about the biggest waste of time I had ever heard about. Most of us were glad when he left. For better or worse, the new guy thinks bigger. I don’t like being asked to pay more money, but in the end I understand why they want me to do so and it’s my decision on whether I do or don’t.

I think it's right for people to complain if they're upset and even to be disappointed if they get a canned response or one that is unsatisfying. However, the likelihood of the new donation plans being changed at this point is pretty low. There was a big outcry when the plan was revealed and there will be another when the invoices go out, but the U of M survived the first wave without having to climb down from its perch. I think they expect that most people will stay aboard when the time comes and that those they lose won't be in a great enough number to negatively impact the bottom line. For comparison's sake, I think the men's basketball season ticket base had a net increase when Gopher Points were implemented.

I am not trying to single you out because many have posted the same or similar frustration on this topic, but what type of a response did you really hope to receive from Kaler? Embarrassment? Tears? Nothing short of “Norwood did WHAT?!?!? Don’t worry, I’ll take care of this!!” is going to satisfy you. The same goes for people complaining about the content of their telephone conversations to discuss the changes. What could they say that would placate you? You aren’t going to get some line employee in the athletic department to waive the donation requirement or confess that they are scared to death that this might not work. They can say they are sorry that it doesn’t work for you and that they appreciate your prior support, but if you feel like you have been screwed over, that isn’t going to have any impact.

The whole thing might well backfire, but they are committed to it for now unless and until the AD changes course. By all means, voice your displeasure and vote with your feet, but I don’t get the outrage over the tone of the response. A form letter from the President of the University or the AD? Gasp, I expect a personal call each time I raise a concern. We had an AD who would respond to every e-mail he ever got and I, for one, thought that was about the biggest waste of time I had ever heard about. Most of us were glad when he left. For better or worse, the new guy thinks bigger. I don’t like being asked to pay more money, but in the end I understand why they want me to do so and it’s my decision on whether I do or don’t.

I completely agree with pretty much all of this. I for one am really impressed with the materials that the U put out to coincide with the the price hikes. I'm not saying that the prices aren't a shock, but the justification was very well done. Despite that, I can damn near guarantee that there were a couple hundred "WHY DID YOU RAISE TICKET PRICES, WHY DO YOU HATE FOOTBALL FANS?!?" types of emails.

If every one of these emails were responded to in a personal manner, it would be a bigger waste of time & money than just about anything that's been discussed on this board.

A few admins ago, we had Malcolm Moos who literally destroyed Gopher athletics. Now we have a Pres who says, "I want big time Gopher Athletics." I want Pres K.

I don't think it is the response so much as the attitude of the response that frustrate people. That's my take. The response is a shoulder-shrug at best, a middle finger at worst. (Depending on your interpretation) When fans have had tickets for decades and formed an emotional bond with the program over that period you tend to want more empathy.

A few admins ago, we had Malcolm Moos who literally destroyed Gopher athletics. Now we have a Pres who says, "I want big time Gopher Athletics." I want Pres K.

+1 ^^^^ I would rather watch us win a B1G championship from my couch because I couldn't afford the game price than watch us lose to Directional U from the 40 yard line with my cheap tickets.

I don't think it is the response so much as the attitude of the response that frustrate people. That's my take. The response is a shoulder-shrug at best, a middle finger at worst. (Depending on your interpretation) When fans have had tickets for decades and formed an emotional bond with the program over that period you tend to want more empathy.

Bingo.

+1 ^^^^ I would rather watch us win a B1G championship from my couch because I couldn't afford the game price than watch us lose to Directional U from the 40 yard line with my cheap tickets.

This is where I'm at now too. Go Gophers!!!

Good perspective.

Gopher fans-
"I LIKE WINNING!!!!!!!!!!! (unless it costs us something......)
Then in that case, back to 3 win seasons!"

I think most people would prefer that senario. But what happens when you bring recruits into an empty stadium and can't sign a good class. Then you might be watching a loss to Directional U from your couch.

I don't go to many games so these prices won't hurt my bottom line, but to say this will be a net benefit or cost at this point is tough. I think if you do an economic analysis of this you can only glean a few things.

1. With no season ticket waiting list (no pent up demand) you will see a decrease in the number of season ticketholders next year.
2. The additional tickets that aren't sold as season tickets will be available in single or two game packs. This extra supply of loose tickets will force the U to provide steap discounts to sell them.
3. The benefit of the additional seat 'donations' could benefit the U or be the worst financial mistake since leaving campus for the metrodome, only time will tell.

I think most people would prefer that senario. But what happens when you bring recruits into an empty stadium and can't sign a good class. Then you might be watching a loss to Directional U from your couch.

I don't go to many games so these prices won't hurt my bottom line, but to say this will be a net benefit or cost at this point is tough. I think if you do an economic analysis of this you can only glean a few things.

1. With no season ticket waiting list (no pent up demand) you will see a decrease in the number of season ticketholders next year.
2. The additional tickets that aren't sold as season tickets will be available in single or two game packs. This extra supply of loose tickets will force the U to provide steap discounts to sell them.
3. The benefit of the additional seat 'donations' could benefit the U or be the worst financial mistake since leaving campus for the metrodome, only time will tell.

Nah, sitting on the couch watching, because you never pony-up the money to see them play in person no matter where they play? That's the biggest problem the Gophers have. Bitchin about others not paying. That's the speciality expressed in this thread.

I'd rather watch us win a B1G championship from the seats I've sat in for years. Just because Norwood jacked up the prices, doesn't mean we are suddenly going to be competing for championships on a yearly basis. If it were that easy, fanbases would be throwing money around like T-Pain.

A movie, 12 bucks. Popcorn and a pop 14 bucks. Burger, two beers and half order so wings, 24 plus tip. What is wrong with people? It's still a f///king bargin with the increase.

A movie, 12 bucks. Popcorn and a pop 14 bucks. Burger, two beers and half order so wings, 24 plus tip. What is wrong with people? It's still a f///king bargin with the increase.

It's not a bargain. Is it a fair price? I don't know, but it definitely is not a bargain.

It's a cash grab. If they have another year of progress, it's genius. If they finish 6-6 or worse, all those seats that they claim to have buyers just itching to purchase are going to be a really tough sell.

I think we have to ask ourselves. Do we want low ticket prices, or a successful sports program?

I think we have to ask ourselves. Do we want low ticket prices, or a successful sports program?

I think some people need to ask themselves, is there a number so high I won't pay?

This could be the moment of genius. It also could be the point where all your loyal, understanding fans left, got back filled by young Turks, and then the team goes 1-3.

Jerry Kill is about to feel some heat.

Wow. That's all it takes? Then why wait? Let's triple prices next year across the board and launch our team straight to the national championship game!

:confused: Please prove that high ticket prices causes a team to win or vice versa. That't not really how supply and demand curves work.

Obviously, elasticity of demand will affect how successful increasing ticket prices will be in increasing revenues, but it's one potential source of additional revenues, which I think our sports programs need if they are going to be competitive. We were competitive in football when I was a student at the U, and it was a de-emphasis of the program, including reduced funding, that resulted in the program's decline.

It would be interesting to re-do the poll on whether people are going to keep their seats for just NEXT year, since there is only a relatively modest increase in price per seat next year. I feel that a lot of the angst has been the initial sticker shock, and that people were told the ticket prices are increasing for three consecutive years, which they found frustrating. I'm sure at least some people have changed their minds for next year

Before we ask that, we have to ask ourselves if we can sell the tickets at higher prices. Higher prices won't do dick to help the sports program if there aren't people paying for them.

It would be interesting to re-do the poll on whether people are going to keep their seats for just NEXT year, since there is only a relatively modest increase in price per seat next year. I feel that a lot of the angst has been the initial sticker shock, and that people were told the ticket prices are increasing for three consecutive years, which they found frustrating. I'm sure at least some people have changed their minds for next year

This. I've spoken to about a dozen STH and the general consensus is most will pony up next year, but are extremely doubtful by year 3. I'm in that category.

I agree with this sentiment, but it's an obviously flawed choice. I do think higher prices will result in more money for the program which "should" lead to a more successful program, but its not guaranteed. I think it will be interesting to see if this new pricing structure works and the football team keeps building on its recent success, if these ship-jumpers will be excited about the progress. I think a rift will materialize between those who are more concerned about their personal experience, and those who truly wish for the collective best for the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers.

This rift is already starting...the people (not every single one, but many) who are complaining the most have had very little to say about how this price increase may help/hurt the team. It has been mostly focused on people painting themselves as under-appreciated victims. I mean, really, all these ticket threads should be clumped together and thrown into the "off-topic" board as they have very little to do with football and more to do with human interest sob stories or hackneyed economic theory.

Top Bottom