Eli King commits to Iowa State

Of course they are going to hold it against them. The fan base was told by the media and the AD that he was hired for this reason. It's the reason why we should ignore his lack of a resume.

Of course if Smith had been hired it would be viewed differently. But there is a huge difference between Smith and Ben Johnson. We have absolutely ZERO information of how Ben will be as a coach other than he connects with local recruits. Smith and Dutcher both have experience successfully coaching college basketball.

It's kind of like comparing Brew to Kill. With Kill, no one was expecting great recruiting. If Brewer got hired and wasn't able to recruit. . . uh oh (in terms of perception).
You should be fully capable of understanding that local recruiting was just one of many reason, NOT the ONLY reason. You try to say that you have not criticized him about it, but that is the only thing you keep talking about. It is obvious that it is just another drum that you can beat to voice your opinions about our coach. Just like you are taking most of Coyle’s statements, and assumptions about his reasoning, out of context. We get it, can we just move on....

Have you ever been to the Iowa State campus? It’s fantastic. And it isn’t in the crime infested reach of Minneapolis.
It's a fine campus. I'll be there for a few hours on Saturday listening to my son's choir perform. I've been all over the campus and still haven't seen the part that's fantastic like you describe, but to be fair I also haven't found that crime infested reach of Minneapolis either.

You should be fully capable of understanding that local recruiting was just one of many reason, NOT the ONLY reason. You try to say that you have not criticized him about it, but that is the only thing you keep talking about. It is obvious that it is just another drum that you can beat to voice your opinions about our coach. Just like you are taking most of Coyle’s statements, and assumptions about his reasoning, out of context. We get it, can we just move on....

Well, you clearly missed my point. I am saying that Coyle's comments and the comments from the media/AAU types did a disservice to Ben.

How is that beating a drum that I don't like Ben Johnson? Of course it isn't but you are irrationally defensive about anything approaching criticism of Coyle or Johnson.

This is an Eli King thread. He is a local guy who just committed to Iowa State. What else would we possibly be talking about on this thread than out failure to land a local recruit? Why would you click on this thread and then cry about people talking about local recruiting?

It might not have been you, but I think you were also the person that cried when I asked when we could start judging Ben's ability to recruit. Clearly, it's not with the 2021 class.

I always feel that a lot of out-state kids want to play at Minnesota, while metro kids may want to go away from home much like kids in metro areas like Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, Miami and others. It seems like Iowa and Wisconsin kids seem more likely to want to stay in-state. It helps that those two states have two power 6 programs, while Minnesota has just one.

I think Minnesota has hurt themselves by not offering kids as quickly as other top programs. Colorado was the first school to offer Hurlburt and recently landed him. Many of the
Minnesota kids on the Wisconsin roster this season had Badger offers before Gopher offers.
I agree, seeing us finally offer Will Tschetter two days after Michigan was too late. We had plenty of time to offer him way before they did and we blew it

Have you ever been to the Iowa State campus? It’s fantastic. And it isn’t in the crime infested reach of Minneapolis.
Iowa state is pretty legit and the atmosphere in Hilton is pretty cool. I know it's a totally new coaching staff, but look at the amount of Iowa state players in the nba and g league right now. It has to be around 15 players

Well, you clearly missed my point. I am saying that Coyle's comments and the comments from the media/AAU types did a disservice to Ben.

How is that beating a drum that I don't like Ben Johnson? Of course it isn't but you are irrationally defensive about anything approaching criticism of Coyle or Johnson.

This is an Eli King thread. He is a local guy who just committed to Iowa State. What else would we possibly be talking about on this thread than out failure to land a local recruit? Why would you click on this thread and then cry about people talking about local recruiting?

It might not have been you, but I think you were also the person that cried when I asked when we could start judging Ben's ability to recruit. Clearly, it's not with the 2021 class.
I apologize for taking my frustrations out on you. It was more of a general feel I got from numerous comments from other posters.

I do think that many are being overly critical based upon their opinions of the hire. We need to step back and give coach Johnson a chance before we judge every little think. We know very little about what is going on and most of the arguments are based on total speculation.

I apologize for taking my frustrations out on you. It was more of a general feel I got from numerous comments from other posters.

I do think that many are being overly critical based upon their opinions of the hire. We need to step back and give coach Johnson a chance before we judge every little think. We know very little about what is going on and most of the arguments are based on total speculation.
Agreed. Coach is fighting an uphill battle. So many other coaches have made connections with this year's and next year's MN players. I hope he can catch up but won't blame him if he can't. The problem is that if he doesn't hit this class hard many will perceive it to be a failure, and that the 2023 class that he could really connect with can't make an impact.

It's a fine campus. I'll be there for a few hours on Saturday listening to my son's choir perform. I've been all over the campus and still haven't seen the part that's fantastic like you describe, but to be fair I also haven't found that crime infested reach of Minneapolis either.
Your heads in your ass then. My kid goes to the U and there is crime everywhere. He had his wallet pickpocketed a couple of months ago. It’s just a short trip from Little Mogidishu and all the criminals there. You must have missed the shootings in Dinkytown earlier this year. Pay attention!

Your heads in your ass then. My kid goes to the U and there is crime everywhere. He had his wallet pickpocketed a couple of months ago. It’s just a short trip from Little Mogidishu and all the criminals there. You must have missed the shootings in Dinkytown earlier this year. Pay attention!
Good god. You need to either drink less or drink more.

I think it’s pretty funny that you guys are bashing on Johnson right now. First of all, Eli Kings brother played for T.J. At SDSU so obviously they will have the upper hand over a coach we hired a month ago. Secondly, Gabe was gone no matter what, and if it was pitino still here he would’ve bolted even faster. I think coach Johnson and his extremely experienced coaching staff know a lot more about THEIR recruiting then we do. Oh yeah by the way he’s already landed 6 quality transfers including fox over Ohio state. Correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s more than anyone in the country.
Considering we have the most open roster spots I’d certainly hope we have the most transfers in the country... That being said you’re right about going a King and Gabe and that probably isn’t fair to put on Ben.

In all seriousness, it's disingenuous to start a game of "gotcha" whenever something bad happens in the Cities. You lose perspective that way.

For example, I just took a look at the Ames police report. Yesterday, there was an arrest for robbery in the first degree and attempted murder. Ames has about 1/48th the population of the Twin Cities metro. Yesterday there were not 48 arrests for first degree robbery and attempted murder in the Cities. Not even close.

Crime will happen wherever there are congregations of people - Minneapolis, Ames, Madison, West Lafayette, and so on. Don't be so frightened and myopic that you think every place else is an idyllic paradise.

I think King is on the same AAU team as Heide and Lipsey. Solid trio.

The thing I can't figure out is why some are acting like the 2022 class is over based on this one commitment.

Coyle didn't do Johnson any favors by playing up the local recruiting angle in the press conference as some have latched onto that and apparently decided that if we don't get all the top Minnesota kids in 2022 and beyond then the hire is a failure.

Johnson will be judged on the full 2022 class, not just the Minnesota kids in it. The obsession over landing local recruits has gone way over the top on this site.
In my opinion, Coyle's obsession with recruiting is over the top. I've said it before: for this or any prominent Power 6 job, settle for nothing short of a total package--an accomplished coach AND an outstanding recruiter. They're out there to find and hire. We had some interested in this job.

This. Iowa at least I could rationalize the logic. (Relatively) interesting college town, recent success, good academics, good facilities. Iowa State is worse on all accounts than both IA and MN. Ames- really?!?
Iowa state is as good or better than iowa academically.

Why are we worried about whats the campus and the people are like at Iowa State. Every campus has its good and perhaps not so good points. Every University has good majors to choose from. Every player that visits a particular campus will either have good feelings, an ok feeling or not so good feelings. A player simply has to pick a school that is right for him or her. If King felt great at Iowa State, then thats where he should go. Do you want him to go to the U here if he didn't have a good feeling? No, his heart wouldn't be right.

Why are we worried about whats the campus and the people are like at Iowa State. Every campus has its good and perhaps not so good points. Every University has good majors to choose from. Every player that visits a particular campus will either have good feelings, an ok feeling or not so good feelings. A player simply has to pick a school that is right for him or her. If King felt great at Iowa State, then thats where he should go. Do you want him to go to the U here if he didn't have a good feeling? No, his heart wouldn't be right.
Great post. So many different reasons kids pick a coach, program and school and city.

Top Bottom