Eli King commits to Iowa State

Same. Not technically from Rochester but close. Newt's is great. Especially the original downtown.
Really? I had been seeing those billboards for years and finally had a reason to stop in. Didn't know which one to go to so ended up at the downtown location. Service and food left me disappointed and was hoping the other location was better.

Indeed. Iowa is the white basketball team.
Yep, college bball is an odd duck. But MN’s die is cast and has been for many years. The u of m’s failure to embrace what we are has given us mediocre to bad results. For all intents and purposes we are one of the few black big ten basketball schools. Now let’s Baylor up and go for it.

I know or should have known, I just like to think about the area surrounding where Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa meet, one of my favorite regions in the whole US. Some day maybe I will figure out how to live down there part of the year, maybe with a view of the River.
I can understand, nothing like strolling along rolling fields with peace and quiet. We have had several friends that have retired to their dream place or cabin up north. Many have moved back near the TC’s. It can be a little too slow with not much to do. You can only fish so much. Can’t just pop on over to a Twins game, long trip to the airport, miss your group of old friends, difficult to be a season ticket holder to the Gophs, limited selection of good restaurants, theaters, zoos, activities, etc....

Really? I had been seeing those billboards for years and finally had a reason to stop in. Didn't know which one to go to so ended up at the downtown location. Service and food left me disappointed and was hoping the other location was better.

Honestly I haven't been to the downtown one in awhile. Rochester is/was very chainy, so Newt's was our original burger joint. The little upstairs location had a charm. You are right in that the service was never good. Get you to buy more beer maybe. Hahaha.

I can understand, nothing like strolling along rolling fields with peace and quiet. We have had several friends that have retired to their dream place or cabin up north. Many have moved back near the TC’s. It can be a little too slow with not much to do. You can only fish so much. Can’t just pop on over to a Twins game, long trip to the airport, miss your group of old friends, difficult to be a season ticket holder to the Gophs, limited selection of good restaurants, theaters, zoos, activities, etc....

To each their own. I live in the cities, but prefer to be outside on lakes, golfing, or hiking around. But I guess if everyone liked what I did, it wouldn't have it's solitude.

“We already know each other pretty well,” King told CycloneAlert after receiving the Iowa State offer. “So we definitely didn't have to [small talk]. We already know each other's personalities and things like that. So it was nice to hear him offer. And then he just talked, basketball-wise, how he’d use me with the ball in my hands and playing fast. How it would fit me and everything. So yeah, I really enjoyed the talk.”

Otzelberger’s recruiting pitch stood out to the four-star recruit.

“They're going to change the culture and they're going to turn the program around,” King said. “And just work every day and get better. He's going to get the right guys in there and have a good culture. That's the main thing, they're all going to be successful together.”

There's a recurring theme here. Something about style of play. Guess he Eli wasn't a fan of "gritty" basketball. I'm also sure TJ being a former coach having taken a team to the tourney didn't play into his decision.

BJ issssss.......g0pher - 2 so far.

Keep the excuses coming.

“We already know each other pretty well,” King told CycloneAlert after receiving the Iowa State offer. “So we definitely didn't have to [small talk]. We already know each other's personalities and things like that. So it was nice to hear him offer. And then he just talked, basketball-wise, how he’d use me with the ball in my hands and playing fast. How it would fit me and everything. So yeah, I really enjoyed the talk.”

“They're going to change the culture and they're going to turn the program around,” King said. “And just work every day and get better. He's going to get the right guys in there and have a good culture. That's the main thing, they're all going to be successful together.”

There's a recurring theme here. Something about style of play. Guess he Eli wasn't a fan of "gritty" basketball. I'm also sure TJ being a former coach having taken a team to the tourney didn't play into his decision.

Keep the excuses coming.
Geez you’re miserable.

Keep the excuses coming.

0-2? Who you counting?

Keep the excuses coming.
Good lord your act is getting boring. There are no excuses that need to be made for King committing to Iowa State. Johnson was never going to sign every single in-state kid, nobody hired for the position would have been able to do that.

We get it....you hate Johnson.....get some new material.

Keep the excuses coming.
You are now officially a Troll.... Constantly bashing a program for ridiculous reasons is being a Troll. I am in San Diego right now, should I find you another team for you to bash?

Not to pick nits, but ISU will typically have way more Black players than white in MBB.

Once ISU hired their new coach, it would have been a big surprise if he went elsewhere.

Indeed. Iowa is the white basketball team.

^Truth. The only midwestern white boys on the Cyclone roster this past season were three walk-ons. The previous year was one scholarship guy. I can really only think of one squad in the last 50 years that was mostly Iowa white dudes, Johnny Orr's last squad with local Ames boy Fred Hoiberg and a bunch of other Iowa kids. Other than that it's mostly non-white non-Iowans ever since I caught my first game in 1969. The BYU of Iowa is the University of Iowa, at least in recent years with Fran. Now both the WBB squads at ISU and Iowa seem to favor white girls in ponytails. I think next years rosters for both combined feature a total of two black gals. The rivalry game looks like BYU scrimmaging itself.

We will see. Most people from the board seem to be from metro area. They really can't relate to the mind set of kids and parents from out state. But hey Alexandria's Treyton Thompson will be going to the U. We will see, outside of Lee from Byron, every other '22 recruit from Minnesota is metro area.
I always feel that a lot of out-state kids want to play at Minnesota, while metro kids may want to go away from home much like kids in metro areas like Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, Miami and others. It seems like Iowa and Wisconsin kids seem more likely to want to stay in-state. It helps that those two states have two power 6 programs, while Minnesota has just one.

I think Minnesota has hurt themselves by not offering kids as quickly as other top programs. Colorado was the first school to offer Hurlburt and recently landed him. Many of the
Minnesota kids on the Wisconsin roster this season had Badger offers before Gopher offers.

Agreed. The problem is Coyle's introduction of BJ was all about getting MN kids to stay home and then he said he would figure out the whole calling time out thing later. That means he thought BJ would get the MN kids. So based on Coyle's knowledge of BJ he felt his strengths were going to be in recruiting MN and wasn't so worried about the coaching spectrum of things, so people are going to worry when his strength is not looking great out of the gate. You may not care about in-state kids, but BJ hasn't been sold to people as getting out-of-state kids. Remember the other theme has been you may not see why BJ should be a B1G HC, but Coyle knows what he's doing and you're just a rube, so shut-up. Well if Coyle's stated case starts falling apart, then so does that theme. Granted there is a lot more to play out, but every time this sort of thing happens people are going to be getting concerned.
This. Exactly this. I haven't tracked who's all been saying what, but I've already seen the big shift from "we had to hire him to get the local kids from the class of '22" to "we'll never recruit anyone from anywhere until he proves he can win." I expected this, although maybe not so quickly. This is going to be a long 4-5 years.

I always feel that a lot of out-state kids want to play at Minnesota, while metro kids may want to go away from home
True, but you also have to fight against the "urban gang crime" perception of the U campus from rural folks.

But yes, in terms of distance ... major let down for metro high school kids to "only" be going down the road to the U while they're friends are getting away. For outstate kids, going to the big city is getting away from home, plenty enough in most cases.

Why don't we let johnson be on the job more than 2 weeks before we start judging him on his in state recruiting. So king goes to Iowa State. Doesnt mean johnson is a failure at this point on getting minnesota guys. Still plenty of time. Maybe one of these days we will be a top 5 team and have nobody from minnesota. There are other states out there too! Maybe his assistants will be unbelievable recruiters from the other 49 states. Give it some time!

Why don't we let johnson be on the job more than 2 weeks before we start judging him on his in state recruiting. So king goes to Iowa State. Doesnt mean johnson is a failure at this point on getting minnesota guys. Still plenty of time. Maybe one of these days we will be a top 5 team and have nobody from minnesota. There are other states out there too! Maybe his assistants will be unbelievable recruiters from the other 49 states. Give it some time!
I’ll place you on igbore.

I agree, but this is not why Johnson was hired. Unfairly or not, he will be judged on keeping top talent in state as that was the selling point, so it is fair to criticize the misses. Recruiting is the only thing going on right now, therefore the only thing to criticize positively or negative at the moment. King may be a nice player, but I wouldn't go in panic mode either. Holloman will be the miss or make that will be much more critical to the recruiting perception. If you don't want to read negative criticism on recruiting, maybe stay out of that thread?

This. Exactly this. I haven't tracked who's all been saying what, but I've already seen the big shift from "we had to hire him to get the local kids from the class of '22" to "we'll never recruit anyone from anywhere until he proves he can win." I expected this, although maybe not so quickly. This is going to be a long 4-5 years.
The thing I can't figure out is why some are acting like the 2022 class is over based on this one commitment.

Coyle didn't do Johnson any favors by playing up the local recruiting angle in the press conference as some have latched onto that and apparently decided that if we don't get all the top Minnesota kids in 2022 and beyond then the hire is a failure.

Johnson will be judged on the full 2022 class, not just the Minnesota kids in it. The obsession over landing local recruits has gone way over the top on this site.

I agree, but this is not why Johnson was hired. Unfairly or not, he will be judged on keeping top talent in state as that was the selling point, so it is fair to criticize the misses. Recruiting is the only thing going on right now, therefore the only thing to criticize positively or negative at the moment. King may be a nice player, but I wouldn't go in panic mode either. Holloman will be the miss or make that will be much more critical to the recruiting perception. If you don't want to read negative criticism on recruiting, maybe stay out of that thread?
I wouldnt go as far as i don't want to read criticism on recruiting. Im a big boy and can handle it, but i dont think johnson should be criticized for not getting King. King obviously had a good relationship with iowa state and jumping in the game late obviously didnt help. It would be nice to recruit minnesota guys if they fit what johnson likes, but in reality i hope coyle hired him because he thinks he can win, not just get minnesota guys.

Coyle may have played up the local angle too much but Johnson will ultimately be judged on the results on the court, not where the players come from (at least by the people who matter, fans will probably still obsess about the home address of the recruits). If the team is winning games it won't matter where the guys came from.

The thing I can't figure out is why some are acting like the 2022 class is over based on this one commitment.

Coyle didn't do Johnson any favors by playing up the local recruiting angle in the press conference as some have latched onto that and apparently decided that if we don't get all the top Minnesota kids in 2022 and beyond then the hire is a failure.

Johnson will be judged on the full 2022 class, not just the Minnesota kids in it. The obsession over landing local recruits has gone way over the top on this site.
I agree with this. Coyle not doing any favors to johnson by basically saying he's gonna kill it in the in state recruiting.

Top Bottom