Dupree McBrayer Commits!

It's one thing for it to make sense to you and me and SCOUT and HOOP DREAMS etc.

But if it makes sense to Pitino to make Jarvis a priority, that's a whole different thing. If Coach thinks pursuing Jarvis is more important than two bigs, that's fine with me.

The thing is that they want to take Jarvis (or another guard) AND a big and a bigger wing.

The main gist of this makes sense. Still reason to hope Gophers get Johnson, but with Dorsey/McBrayer committed he becomes less of a priority. To their credit it appears the staff isn't letting this turn into a Cory Joseph situation (too many eggs in one basket). Focus probably needs to shift to getting big guys (i.e. AI, Nwankwo).

Nwanko should be the next visit and our next best possibility to sign. Really like his game and he would be a solid low post get. That would leave the final spot between Alex and Johnson. The reality is we are still deep in the mix with Clarke and would take his commitment instantly.

That would leave both Alex and Johnson on the sidelines!

The fact that our crystal ball is not in favor with Clarke makes me feel much better about our chances.

But if it makes sense to Pitino to make Jarvis a priority, that's a whole different thing. If Coach thinks pursuing Jarvis is more important than two bigs, that's fine with me.

Who knows... only Pitino and staff. It's very possible he told Jarvis this so he felt like a priority even though we were after others at the same position. I have no idea if they would tell Ryan or Jarvis the absolute truth (why would they?), the recruiting games if full of smoke and they have to stroke a lot of players egos and make them feel like they are their #1 target.

No offence to Ryan James, but he seems a little over the top with Jarvis.

The thing is that they want to take Jarvis (or another guard) AND a big and a bigger wing.

Unless you have Pitino's phone tapped you don't know what their real priority is, so lets not pretend this is a fact.

I think everyone agrees we will take at least one big man this class with Alex being the #1 target. The thing is, it doesn't have to be an "either or" situation in deciding between Jarvis (3 guards) or a longer wing for the other spot. Odds are that we'll have a transfer, injury, etc. and will have 5 spots this class. It sounds like the staff believes this as well (I'll take Ryan James's word) and the goal is 3 guards (Dorsey, McBrayer, Johnson or other), a wing, and a big man.

Unless you have Pitino's phone tapped you don't know what their real priority is, so lets not pretend this is a fact.

HOOP Dreams -- I actually tend to agree with your point here about recruiting. I might give Ryan James a little more credit than you but we really don't know where the priorities lie.

But then I would offer you the same advice to your commentary on the practice facility where you said, "Before you guys get into a panic attack, just know the basketball practice facility will be part of phase I." Unless you (HOOP Dreams) have Norwood's phone tapped, you don't know what the real priority is either, so let's not pretend that was fact.

We should all be able to speculate/interpret/offer opinion without being personally attacked and/or called out about not having sources (in the case of your commentary recently on Matt Gravett). Just an observation.

HOOP Dreams -- I actually tend to agree with your point here about recruiting. I might give Ryan James a little more credit than you but we really don't know where the priorities lie

And it's a fair observation he may be working with information from Jarvis's camp, which might not be gospel as it is treated on here. People are a little over the top running with this as 100% fact. A lot of stuff is said to recruits and a good deal is BS to keep them feeling 'special', it's part of the game.

Unless you (HOOP Dreams) have Norwood's phone tapped, you don't know what the real priority is either, so let's not pretend that was fact.

I just might happen to work for a consulting firm that has indirect involvement, so take it for what it's worth to you (I'm fine with you dismissing it, not my problem) and that's all I can say about it.

It was frustrating to have the board get flooded with false claims that the basketball facility has been lessened as a priority with absolutely no evidence.

being personally attacked and/or called out about not having sources (in the case of your commentary recently on Matt Gravett)

I don't feel I attacked Matt, just questioning his credentials and mostly 247 for labeling him as in insider at age 17 during his very initial involved in the recruiting analysis business. It's not his fault, unless he falsified his resume.

Looks like a strong commitment. Here's to hoping Jarvis jumps on board in the next couple months. That would make one heckuva class.

As for Dupree, it looks most of his offers (according to 247) came from mid-majors like CSU-Bakersfield, Creighton, Drexel Quinnipiac and Butler. He took visits to Pitt and St. John's as well. That's encouraging because he still came back and decided the U was the best spot.

I just might happen to work for a consulting firm that has indirect involvement, so take it for what it's worth to you (I'm fine with you dismissing it, not my problem) and that's all I can say about it.

If that is true, and I have no reason not to believe you, then you make my point for me. There is no way to know the background of people that log onto this site under nonsensical names like "golfing18now". For me to dismiss your comments on the practice facility is no different than you dismissing the opinion of others that may have a legitimate connection to Jarvis or the coaching staff on whether or not he remains a priority and that list potentially includes Ryan James/Matt Gravett/Adam Zagoria/or whomever the coaching staff shares information with.

On Jarvis, why would the Gophers care about making him feel "special" at this point in the game if they had no intention of trying to sign another guard? I agree with you that recruiting is full of smoke, but it seems to me that that smoke would start to subside if you no longer had an interest in recruiting a given player. It would be time and energy wasted at that point. Should it be considered gospel? Probably not. But I still believe he is in play.

I am as guilty as anyone for taking this thread off the tracks, but we should keep on topic and celebrate the commitment of Dupree McBrayer, who seem like an awesome fit with what Coach is trying to do here. Let's focus on that and move the urinating contest about who knows what to another forum.

Looks like a strong commitment. Here's to hoping Jarvis jumps on board in the next couple months. That would make one heckuva class.

As for Dupree, it looks most of his offers (according to 247) came from mid-majors like CSU-Bakersfield, Creighton, Drexel Quinnipiac and Butler. He took visits to Pitt and St. John's as well. That's encouraging because he still came back and decided the U was the best spot.

Actually, according to 247 he had 6 other high major offers. Butler, Creighton, Pitt, Providence, Seton Hall and St. John's. Creighton and Butler aren't exactly mid-majors anymore.

I already went over that.

You did? Must have missed that. But I'll let it go to make PhillyGopher happy. A reasonable exchange apparently = a urinating contest.

Back to what position will McBrayer play?

August 19, 2014

McBrayer playing the field
"It's been a long journey to get to this point for Elizabeth (N.J.) The Patrick School guard Dupree McBrayer. Starting his high school career at Springfield Gardens in Queens, McBrayer then transferred to Quest Prep Academy in Las Vegas for his junior year before returning to the east coast for his senior year at The Patrick School. Now that he's graduated, McBrayer is close to selecting a prep school.

"It's being finalized now," McBrayer said. "I should know in the next few days. I decided to prep for development. Development of my game and my body. My doctor says I have a couple of more inches in me, so hopefully I can get to 6-foot-6 or 6-foot-7."

"

https://stjohns.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=1171&script=/content.asp&cid=1671639

Welcome Dupree!
Congrats to the entire coaching staff as well. The hard work is paying off now & will have dividends in the future as well. Love the job they are doing outside of MN. I always want to see MN kids on the roster, but as others have stated they have to want to be there. Glad the staff is making it clear - with or without you.

Go Gophers!

Absolutely. The lament in the past has been missing or overlooking good local players to sign more athletic but less skilled out-of-towners. That's clearly not happening now. Pitino has bent over backwards to make sure Jarvis and Alex know that they're the priority and have a spot if they want it. You can lead a horse to water...

I am as guilty as anyone for taking this thread off the tracks, but we should keep on topic and celebrate the commitment of Dupree McBrayer, who seem like an awesome fit with what Coach is trying to do here. Let's focus on that and move the urinating contest about who knows what to another forum.

you're more than welcome to contribute to that discussion. The conversation between Hoops and golf18 is part of a discussion related to the signing of Dupree McBrayer, its in the right thread and should/can continue IMO.

YWxjgQN.png

YWxjgQN.png

Highly doubt it. He's already 19 years old. If you redshirt him he'd be a 21 year old freshman.

My database has him as turning 18 just recently. Birthdates can often be wrong though.. curious where you're getting your DOB from? (I'll have to look for my original source.. just have it in a proprietary database.)

you're more than welcome to contribute to that discussion. The conversation between Hoops and golf18 is part of a discussion related to the signing of Dupree McBrayer, its in the right thread and should/can continue IMO.

Thanks Winasota.

I agree one of the more interesting subplots to the McBrayer signing is how this impacts one of the two (without question) most talked about players in the 2015 class in Jarvis. My intent previously was not to enter into a "urinating contest" with HOOP DREAMS. My intent was to call out what I perceived was an inconsistency in how he was coming across in different threads and more importantly to weigh in how I think this commitment does or does not impact Jarvis.

In regards to the McBrayer commitment specifically.....I think this is a very encouraging sign for the Gophers. Clearly, Pitino is starting to establish some in-roads in the Northeast as he has just stolen players that were being heavily recruited by schools in their own backyards. If we can beat out the Seton Halls/Marylands/St. John's of the world for players they want in the NE, that is a very good sign.

4:30 mark he says he just turned 19.

Thanks, I'm going with June '95 as his birth month/year.. had a bad date with June '96. Need to find out what his history is.. the 3 years in NYC, several months at Quest... ~year at The Patrick School... but before that?

The age isn't necessarily a bad thing, but puts the live evaluation into a little bit different light being that he had 2 years (and more) on most of his competition this summer.

Top Bottom