Duck Duck Beers Sightings

Does grey duck have the capacity to make beer or are they contracting this out???
I assume it's contracted. Most likely Third Street (Cold Spring), Schells (New Ulm) or Minhas (Monroe, WI). Possibly City in LaCrosse.

Checked 2 spots in Plymouth that was listed as having it but no dice.

Should've gone to sentryz

Bought myself a 12er yesterday.

Unfortunately, it's pretty terrible beer.

Does grey duck have the capacity to make beer or are they contracting this out???
I thought Grey Duck was brewing it at the Surly brewery.

I found it at a beer stand down by the student section during the game. It felt good to do a little something to help out the NIL collective. That was the only pleasant part of the experience.

Tried 2 stores today and no sightings.
The new Top Ten liquors in Dinky has them. Saw a good amount of students drinking them, including myself. Good deal on the case too.

Edit: The new store is located where my profile pic was.

Last edited:

Honestly I think it tastes pretty bad - I will still definitely support it at the stadium, but I won't be buying it for at home consumption.

It tastes like a beer that's caught between trying to be a macro lager rice beer and something with more body. Not trying to hate, I love what they are doing, and I hope they revise the formula to make it more drinkable.
I agree with your assessment. I thought it was ok and I'll keep it in the garage for when needed.

OK, OK, some do like the taste. What do the rest of you think that had some DDB yesterday?

I thought I start a thread on where you all got your DDBs and what are your thoughts on taste? So please contribute to this thread on anything about DDB 👍

Also I contacted Gray Duck Spirits today via Instagram to see if they will sell their DDB to any beer distributors here in Pennsylvania and they replied that they don’t have license to sell in PA yet. I told them that I need some here ASAP so I can try it and to support our boys!

They said they’ll let me know when they will sell in PA.

If y'all know if/where I can order me some DDB from a MN online beer store, that’ll be just as good!
Knowing how much it costs to get the license and then a distributor to actually get the beer to PA and into liquor stores, you are better off having a friend buy it here and ship it to you.

Pretty cool that they're doing this. Surprising considering that Chad Greenway is a Hawkeye.

According to Aramark at the stadium, the beer is contract brewed by Surly.

I thought it was excellent. Perfect crusher for tailgating, BBQ, or bonfire.

Maybe like a slightly lighter version of Grainbelt Nordeast.

My new staple.

According to Aramark at the stadium, the beer is contract brewed by Surly.

I thought it was excellent. Perfect crusher for tailgating, BBQ, or bonfire.

Maybe like a slightly lighter version of Grainbelt Nordeast.

My new staple.
I'm not a fan of much that Surly makes so guessing I won't like it...but will still give it a try. I don't mind Nordeast.

Minnesota has so many good consumer food brands and manufacturers, this could really be a way forward to get corporate money. I'd pay an extra couple of bucks for Gopher special pizza rolls or pizza, bacon/brats/hot dogs/beef sticks/summer sausage, bottled water and tea, coffee, etc. and those can totally be scaled up if demand is there.

Keystone was 9.99 a case at top ten liquor. Crafty move by the distributor to kick out the slats of the DDB intro to campus. Seriously, how many of us here have ever paid 9.99 for a case of beer? 60’s guy mighta paid 4 bucks for a case of Schaefer’s

Keystone was 9.99 a case at top ten liquor. Crafty move by the distributor to kick out the slats of the DDB intro to campus. Seriously, how many of us here have ever paid 9.99 for a case of beer? 60’s guy mighta paid 4 bucks for a case of Schaefer’s
In college (early 90's), Busch Light could be found for 9.99 a case. Old Style Classic Draft would go as low as 7.99 if we were really cheap.

Hmm. If that's the case, I'm wondering if Third Street Brewing is making it. It's a mystery. I guess I'll just have to find some to taste test!
That was my thought. Or Schells. I didn't think Surly did any contract brewing.

In college (early 90's), Busch Light could be found for 9.99 a case. Old Style Classic Draft would go as low as 7.99 if we were really cheap.
we could get a keg of Icehouse for 35-40 bucks

(late 90's early 2000's for me) although by end of my college experience a keg went up to ~50 for cheap stuff and if on special, otherwise closer 70 bucks. Keystone light was our goto

The Duck needs to be distributed to the burbs where alumni and fans have some disposable income.

Case of both Cold Spring and Hauenstein could have been had for sub $5 back in the late 80s, and if you returned the bottles, you'd get a buck back! BTW, both of those were near undrinkable back then. Hauies have improved recently with Schell buying the brand.

The Duck needs to be distributed to the burbs where alumni and fans have some disposable income.

Case of both Cold Spring and Hauenstein could have been had for sub $5 back in the late 80s, and if you returned the bottles, you'd get a buck back! BTW, both of those were near undrinkable back then. Hauies have improved recently with Schell buying the brand.
Wisconsin Club was among those bottom of the barrel swill beers too. Someone gave me one once. Just once.

Really, almost everything that came out of Huber in Monroe, WI (now Minhas) was and is awful.

Wisconsin Club was among those bottom of the barrel swill beers too. Someone gave me one once. Just once.

Really, almost everything that came out of Huber in Monroe, WI (now Minhas) was and is awful.
Spot on re: Minhas. Dude, you know your breweries

When the Supreme Court heard arguments that college student-athletes should have the legal right to enter into contracts to sell the rights to their Name, Image, and Likeness, this is exactly what was envisioned.

Beer (which the U explicitly forbids athletes from entering into direct NIL contracts with), which does not feature the NIL of any player on the cans or cases, being sold at a slight premium so that the additional margin can be “donated” to a “non-profit charity” organization that then enters into a NIL agreement with some players in order to give them some amount of money in exchange for minimal work or endorsement using the NIL.

Yep.

That’s how it was always planned to work.

Schmidt beer was our go to when it was strictly quantity over quality. The hangovers were the worst but we never thought ahead about that.

I've gone to Lunds, Kowalski's & Total Wine in woodbury in last few days and can't find it

Meister Brau was pretty cheap. Something like 3 twelve packs for $10 or something in the early 90s in Arizona. Skoal was $2 (usually paid with a lot of pennies).

Top Bottom