Dorsey Commits to Gophers!!!!!!!!!

Maryland fan here: Congrats guys. I don't know your PG situation but Dorsey should be a fine addition.

It's nice to see some classy fans added to the B1G. And we know your pain in losing a local kid.

PP;
"
"Dorsey's a guy I've always really liked," Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Eric Bossi said Saturday. "Earlier on in his career, you noticed he was very quick, a playmaker off the dribble and a really intense defender. But here in the last six months to a year, he's really improved as a jump shooter. Maybe not as much as a deep shooter but he pulls up from between 12-15 feet. He's also a really vocal leader. He's a really good pick up for Minnesota."

Pitino still has DeLaSalle High School point guard Jarvis Johnson as a priority in the class, so it's possible that he and Dorsey could play together.
"
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_26137615/kevin-dorsey-chooses-gophers-richard-pitino-lands-top

Great news. I don't see how this closes the door on Jarvis, either. Sounds like Pitino wants to play them together. Our entire starting back-court is graduating afterall.

Not about what Pitino wants, it's about what Jarvis wants. He's the one who makes the decision. He seemed turned off by Nate Mason's commitment, and he's a different class, ranked lower and can play SG. Dorsey is the same class, ranked higher, and is likely only a PG. I think this really hurts our chances with Jarvis, but hopefully I'm wrong. Either way, I'm excited to have a 4* point guard on board!

Ryan James has had multiple tweets about how Pitino still wants Jarvis very much. Says the recruiting pitch will be having a backcourt like Peyton Siva and Russ Smith or like Napier and Boatright.

As noted in another thread, one thing that could help with Jarvis is that Pitino can preach a backcourt like Russ Smith and Peyton Siva or Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright.

Edit: too slow

It's coming

As noted in another thread, one thing that could help with Jarvis is that Pitino can preach a backcourt like Russ Smith and Peyton Siva or Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright.

Edit: too slow

How fun will this be? Whoever the partners are for the Gophers...that kind of danger to opponents. It's going to be fun!
We got the redshirt in house to go with these two guys too.

Not about what Pitino wants, it's about what Jarvis wants. He's the one who makes the decision. He seemed turned off by Nate Mason's commitment, and he's a different class, ranked lower and can play SG. Dorsey is the same class, ranked higher, and is likely only a PG. I think this really hurts our chances with Jarvis, but hopefully I'm wrong. Either way, I'm excited to have a 4* point guard on board!

Obviously. If he wants to pass on an opportunity to be part of a dynamic back court for 4 years to go play 50's era Bo-Ball that's up to him.

It's nice to see some classy fans added to the B1G. And we know your pain in losing a local kid.

Thanks for the classy words and as for losing Dorsey, yeah I would love to have him but Minnesota's a better opportunity for him.

MD has McDonaldAA PG Romelo Trimble coming in so Dorsey would have been blocked here but he can make a real difference for you guys.

Interestingly enough, Trimble, incoming MD freshman Dion Wiley & Dorsey were all AAU teammates.

Obviously. If he wants to pass on an opportunity to be part of a dynamic back court for 4 years to go play 50's era Bo-Ball that's up to him.

I agree that it's obvious, but some people seem to be ignoring the logic. Jarvis in a Wisconsin uniform would just seem wrong. He has other options too. Hoping he has a lot of hometown pride and still wants to be a Gopher.

Pitino has always said he likes playing multiple PG-type guards at the same time. If Johnson is scared off from competition from Mason and Dorsey then I'm not sure how much I want him anyways. I'm in the camp that doesn't really care where recruits come from though as long as they're talented, so I never saw Johnson as a "must-get" like some do. Definitely don't want to see him go to Wisconsin though which seems most likely if he doesn't stay home.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kevin Dorsey is scoring 12.5 per game shooting 51.9% on 133fg, 73% on 74ft, 33% on 24 3s in EYBL. 44 ast to 30 turnovers, 24 steals.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/488009722876801024">July 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kevin Dorsey is scoring 12.5 per game shooting 51.9% on 133fg, 73% on 74ft, 33% on 24 3s in EYBL. 44 ast to 30 turnovers, 24 steals.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/488009722876801024">July 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

That's quite the stat line

This is a really great verbal! Made my day! Hope others commit soon so we can begin recruiting 5 star players for 2016!

Outstanding commit....fills 25% of my dream class:

Dorsey ("We got one!!!!!")
Illikainen
Clarke
Jarvis

Geez...a young backcourt of Dorsey, Mason and Jarvis would be incredible and plenty of minutes available for all 3 guys each game.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Team Takeover has EIGHT top 100 players, including five guards. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a> commit Kevin Dorsey led Takeover in minutes.</p>— Matt Jessen-Howard (@mjessenhoward) <a href="https://twitter.com/mjessenhoward/statuses/488024014565412864">July 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

Guards next year

Kevin Dorsey
Jarvis Johnson
Nate Mason
Zach Lofton

Sounds pretty exciting

Come on Jarvis come be part of the maroon and gold.

I agree too throw in Illikainen and Clarke and this would be a great class.

Congrats to Richard & the team. Welcome Mr. Dorsey!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is big time. This is B1G recruiting. Get on the ball Jarvis, we are a multi-guard system. Fun for years to come!

Is this entire thread predicated on a "source saying", or have either his coach or Kevin actually said anything?
I know, I know. Minnesota Pessimism®.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kevin Dorsey is Minnesota's highest rated commit in six years (Royce White) at 84th in the country.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/488086018843623427">July 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

Is this entire thread predicated on a "source saying", or have either his coach or Kevin actually said anything?
I know, I know. Minnesota Pessimism®.

The first I heard of his commitment was when he sent out a tweet saying that he has officially committed with the Gophers.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kevin Dorsey is Minnesota's highest rated commit in six years (Royce White) at 84th in the country.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/488086018843623427">July 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
Only on Rivals. Coleman and Andre were both top 100 on ESPN and top 60 on Maxpreps. Coleman was actually 59th and Andre was 51st.

F yeah! Here we come!

A nice breakthrough for Richard and hopefully one of many top-100's to come.

I don't mind admitting I was starting to worry about the future of the guard position, but this changes everything. Suddenly Dorsey and Mason are looking like a great core.

I was just thinking this earlier today. We've had a handful good players since then, but I don't think we've even had a top 100 recruit since 2009. In fact, I think Mo Walker in 2010 and Andre Hollins and Joe Coleman in 2011 were our only top 150 recruits in that time frame.

I also feel like this is our earliest commit in quite some time as well, possibly since Royce White. Next earliest I can find is Austin Hollins committing in late September of 2009.

This doesn't mean the end of getting Jarvis. You can never have to many guys that can handle the ball. A trio of Dorsey, Mason and Jarvis would be amazing in Pitino's system.

Top Bottom