Doogie...

I don't know about doogie's aptitude in journalism, but from my knowledge we don't know who Brew was competing against so we can't say we'd be better with someone else, and the entire reason he was brought here was to recruit, EVERYONE knew that. Thats what he did at Texas and thats how he made a name for himself. We should all have known that he probably wasn't the greatest head football coach, but he could recruit som'em fierce. JM knew that, local media knew that, and we knew that. Get off his back and let him do what he does best, and lets hope that he is as good a coordinator recruiter as he is player recruiter.

......I think that after seeing the parade of coordinators come through here in the last
three years and the success that they have we already know how good of a coordinator
recruiter he is...........

......I think that after seeing the parade of coordinators come through here in the last
three years and the success that they have we already know how good of a coordinator
recruiter he is...........

huh, our last D-Coordinator left for what everyone would consider a better job, not Brew's fault, our last OC was a proven spread guy but brew realized we needed to be able to run it more, Fisch is in his first year and is having the kind of problems any first year OC would have, not to mention absolutely horrible execution by his players. I think Fisch will make great strides next year with one year under his belt. Brew doesn't have to be a great coach, but at the least he needs to put good ones around him, ones that are worth a crap and that will stay. You can't argue that the talent he is bringing in is much better than Mason's, and thats the first step. And I think he is finding better coaches to come in, the problem is that with the money he has to offer new hires they have to be the diamonds in the rough or experienced guys with so-so track records. What else can he do?

huh, our last D-Coordinator left for what everyone would consider a better job, not Brew's fault, our last OC was a proven spread guy but brew realized we needed to be able to run it more, Fisch is in his first year and is having the kind of problems any first year OC would have, not to mention absolutely horrible execution by his players. I think Fisch will make great strides next year with one year under his belt. Brew doesn't have to be a great coach, but at the least he needs to put good ones around him, ones that are worth a crap and that will stay. You can't argue that the talent he is bringing in is much better than Mason's, and thats the first step. And I think he is finding better coaches to come in, the problem is that with the money he has to offer new hires they have to be the diamonds in the rough or experienced guys with so-so track records. What else can he do?

No --- our last D coordinator's results were horrible and I would have given him an F for the
job that he did in the short time he was here. Dunbar --- another F
Fisch -- incomplete but I have to tell you I am not too impressed by what I saw yesterday.
So far, both coordinators we have had have left as a swing and a miss. I do not know if I have
ever seen a coach have 5 coordinators in 3 years ever before!!!!!
I am not positive, but I think that's more than Joe Paterno has had and he
has coached for like 40 years!!! (LOL) And every new coordinator
you get puts you back at square one, especially if they are bringing in new offensive or
defensive schemes.

I don't see how Brewster never being a Coordinator says anything about what other Coaches thought of him. Maybe he was offered but was never interested? Maybe he does not like X's and O's but likes working with individuals better i.e why he loves recruiting so much. I have no problem with lack of promotion in his career. If Coaches thought he was not good he would never have been with Mack Brown so long or never stuck around the NFL so long

I don't see how Brewster never being a Coordinator says anything about what other Coaches thought of him. Maybe he was offered but was never interested? Maybe he does not like X's and O's but likes working with individuals better i.e why he loves recruiting so much. I have no problem with lack of promotion in his career. If Coaches thought he was not good he would never have been with Mack Brown so long or never stuck around the NFL so long

Well, I for one wouldn't say that other coaches never thought he was any good or he wouldn't
have gotten so many various jobs - he would have been on the scrap heap a long time ago.
I think guys like Shanahan and Brown probably realize that Brewster has some very good
qualities that make him a good guy to have on the staff (and correctly so.) That does not
necessarily mean they think he is head coaching material, but I am not sure if I believe any of
that stuff about them trying to get rid of him anyways.

If I were a head coach, I would be more than happy to have Tim Brewster on my staff because
he would be a strong recruiter, a good motivator and a positive guy that the guys could
rally around. If anything, he would have really been a major plus on Mason's staff
because he brings some things to the table that Mason simply wasn't very good at.

Gold Rush, I agree with your last post. And I don't think we can make a judgment on Brewster's coaching ability just yet. We all knew it was his first head coaching job and it was a risk, but it was a risk worth taking because of the positive traits Brewster has and his recruiting success and reputation in recruiting circles. We have seen some bad coaching from Brewster and company for sure, but it is too early to call him a bust, he is learning (hopefully) and even if it turns out brewster is not here long term, we will have great athletes for the next guy and I am thankful he is here for that reason alone. I hope he succeeds and does get a long tenure here. I also don't buy the about to get fired stuff either

Talk about yellow journalism...Doogie, your credentials are looking poorer everyday. You think Souhan has some "deepthroat" that is going to understand the hiring of Brewster? C'mon. He was less expensive and could recruit which is what they needed. You guys make this sound like some kind of conspiracy plot. How about asking you for the same accountability as you ask of Brewster?

Large -- Believe what you want to believe ... it doesn't take much to find out info. about Brewster ... although the purging of his emails and cell calls is interesting ... no idea if he had anything to do with it, so don't start jumping on me ... all I know is this: A request was made to see his records, which are available to the public (google "Houston Nutt Arkansas phone records" for an understanding if you must) ... and apparently they were purged of.

Doogie was also wowed by Weber early in the year....most "underappreciated athlete in the Twin Cities", I believe was the quote...the decision not to bench Weber is unfathomable to me....in any other city, he would have been replaced long ago...Minnesota nice I guess, or unbelievable stubbornness by Brewster...Any second thoughts, Doogie?

Yes ... trust me, I am P.A. like with some predictions ... the pick-six vs. Ill. and pick-six vs. SDSU are inexcusable mistakes ... just brutal plays ... but I will still defend Weber ... I am a Weber apologist, but 3rd offense in 4 years, his throwing style being changed, no running, and no O-line play have really made him unable to do much ... trust me, I don't believe he is happy at all, but he is such a stand up guy, publicly, he'll say all the right things ... I would love to hear him unfiltered.

the purging of his cell calls is interesting... and apparently they were purged of.

So this means all my halftime rants on his voicemail have been erased?

And people think I'm joking.

:eek:

I don't anyone is pleased with how the team is playing and Brewster has shown some flashes that he gets it only to beset by mistakes that it appears he shouldn't be making again and again.

But Charlie Strong isn't a head coach anywhere and there were openings at D-1 schools since his interview with the Gophers when it was down to him and Brewster. Patterson was using us for leverage. I thought Hauck was the most interesting candidate, but I honestly don't know how he's doing right now either.

Seeing the recruiting season was over and our 2007 class wasn't adding up to much, I would have preferred that they waited awhile.

According to Strong, he can't get a job because as an African-American, he's in a mixed marriage.

Gold Rush, I agree with your last post. And I don't think we can make a judgment on Brewster's coaching ability just yet. We all knew it was his first head coaching job and it was a risk, but it was a risk worth taking because of the positive traits Brewster has and his recruiting success and reputation in recruiting circles. We have seen some bad coaching from Brewster and company for sure, but it is too early to call him a bust, he is learning (hopefully) and even if it turns out brewster is not here long term, we will have great athletes for the next guy and I am thankful he is here for that reason alone. I hope he succeeds and does get a long tenure here. I also don't buy the about to get fired stuff either

As a long-term GG fan, I would welcome a Joe Pa-type run...truly a fantastic scenario.

According to Strong, he can't get a job because as an African-American, he's in a mixed marriage.

This is the same difficulty Turner Gill had with the Auburn job supposedly.

Top Bottom