Doogie...

GopherNation5

Reaction score
Hey Doogie I have a question for you. This off season you wrote an article about Jedd Fisch and how he "get's it". I'm just wondering what he said that made you beleive this because at that point in time I was thinking this guy could be our offensive savior after Dunbar's terrible spread, but now it is evident that Dunbar puts Fisch to shame in terms of calling an offense. I guess what I'm asking for is some reason to be optimistic about our OC and any glimmer of hope us gopher optimists have for our offense next year.

can anyone think of one play this year that Fisch has called where you went, "Wow."????

Illinois Game

Actually most of the 2nd half of the Illinois game was called very well. It was just the first half of going for all those long passes on every play that put us in a hole.

Maybe he fooled me ... he gave me 90-minutes of great stuff in his office in Feb. ... and I really thought he had that "it" factor ... still think he does in many regards ... but obviously the decision to switch Weber's throwing style was a mistake ... the hand signals also may be too much for 19-22 year olds ... he landed a grad. asst gig at Fla. by beating out over 100 other applicants ... landed on multiple NFL staffs before turning 30-years-old ... his credentials, at the age of 32, blew me away ... he just might be better suited to be somewhere in the NFL, and eventually land an NFL off. coord. job.

he gave me 90-minutes of great stuff in his office in Feb.

Doogie, I commend you for admitting you may have been bamboozled. I wonder if the same thing applies to Maturi in January of '07. A lot of guys interview better than they perform. Might also explain why Brewster is such a good recruiter.

Nobody wins in college on the chalkboard. I'm sure Fisch is the wizard of Xs-and-Os, and I could not care less.

Norm Parker is laughing his a$$ off.

There is no doubt that Brewster blew them away in his interview ... his former agent, local guy Gary O'Hagan, prepared him wonderfully well ... Pres. Bruininks also was apart of that process ... plus a big-time recommendation from Mike Shanahan helped ... odd thing that has come out a bit now (Souhan had a recent nugget about this on KSTP Radio): Brewster was on the verge of being fired from that Denver staff, and Shanahan, too be nice, decided to do everything in his power to help get Brewster a job elsewhere, as opposed to going the firing route.

Fisch is too cerebral. There is no K.I.S.S. section in his notebook.

Actually most of the 2nd half of the Illinois game was called very well. It was just the first half of going for all those long passes on every play that put us in a hole.

It was not play calling that put us in a hole in the first half. It was Weber throwing a pick 6 and bouncing balls to his receivers or over throwing them. It was lack of execution by a 3rd year starting QB that dug the hole. I think Fisch will be just fine once the QB situation resolves it self. Is Childress a better coach this year or is it the fact that Favre is lightyears better than T-Jack?

It was not play calling that put us in a hole in the first half. It was Weber throwing a pick 6 and bouncing balls to his receivers or over throwing them. It was lack of execution by a 3rd year starting QB that dug the hole. I think Fisch will be just fine once the QB situation resolves it self. Is Childress a better coach this year or is it the fact that Favre is lightyears better than T-Jack?

Looked to me on TV that Fisch geared down the playlist to emphasize the short passing game and a methodical, grinding ground scheme dominated by the Minny size advantage. Seems like that approach was working at times until it was snafued by poor execution and penalties.

How much of that is on Brew/Fisch/TD?

A problem of inadequate prep or poor O talent/skill?

Chicken or egg or both?

No one here seems to know.

receivers were open and Weber could not hit them. Weber basically handed the ball to the Illini D back so he could walk into the endzone. How are those things Coaching? You can see McKnights disgust with Webers passing last week when he walked off the field after a terrible pass without even looking at Weber, and yesterday after Weber bounced that sure TD pass off the turf and right into his shins.

There is no doubt that Brewster blew them away in his interview ... his former agent, local guy Gary O'Hagan, prepared him wonderfully well ... Pres. Bruininks also was apart of that process ... plus a big-time recommendation from Mike Shanahan helped ... odd thing that has come out a bit now (Souhan had a recent nugget about this on KSTP Radio): Brewster was on the verge of being fired from that Denver staff, and Shanahan, too be nice, decided to do everything in his power to help get Brewster a job elsewhere, as opposed to going the firing route.

Doogie...would be worthwhile following this rumored Denver firing angle up now that you've opened the door.

Would help shed light on the speculation here that U was misled by a combination of an aggressive agent sales job, a terrific blue-sky interview by TB and inadequate due diligence by the AD's office.

For the record, AD Joel M has always said that the U understood from day one that TB never claimed to have had HCing or head coordinator experience on his resume at either the collegiate or pro level and that did not deter him from the hiring.

Are you suggesting that if Joel M knew that TB was about to be fired by Denver, that would have influenced JM's hiring decision and on that basis the AD was misled by Brewster and his agent?

This "Souhan nugget" needs to be cleared up and you should be able to do so as our resident journalist.

This is what I heard as well re: Shanahan. I heard both Shanahan and Mack Brown had quite a chuckle after they found out we were stupid enough to hire Brewster.

Proof is in the pudding: Brewster had never been promoted in his entire coaching career. He was a lifetime TE coach, a throwaway job most schools don't even staff.

Doogie...would be worthwhile following this rumored Denver firing angle up now that you've opened the door.

Would help shed light on the speculation here that U was misled by a combination of an aggressive agent sales job, a terrific blue-sky interview by TB and inadequate due diligence by the AD's office.

For the record, AD Joel M has always said that the U understood from day one that TB never claimed to have had HCing or head coordinator experience on his resume at either the collegiate or pro level and that did not deter him from the hiring.

Are you suggesting that if Joel M knew that TB was about to be fired by Denver, that would have influenced JM's hiring decision and on that basis the AD was misled by Brewster and his agent?

This "Souhan nugget" needs to be cleared up and you should be able to do so as our resident journalist.

NEG- from what I understand, there was no duping or misleading. Maturi was simply too thick to understand what was going on. Every other high level person involved in the hiring process said NO to Brewster, but Maturi was able to convince them to let him "have this one".

odd thing that has come out a bit now (Souhan had a recent nugget about this on KSTP Radio): Brewster was on the verge of being fired from that Denver staff, and Shanahan, too be nice, decided to do everything in his power to help get Brewster a job elsewhere, as opposed to going the firing route.
I hate to question any of the great "journalists" in Minnesota but I'm not sure I'm buying this rumor. Shanahan seems to have gone out of his way to help out Brew since he got to Minnesota, if he didn't care for him as a coach why would he have done that?

Will dig deeper on ... heard Souhan raise very recently.

For many, calling me the resident journalist is dangerous ... heard this very recently ... will attempt to clear up ... Shanahan did make 1 visit here to talk to the team, so he must still like Brew some.

For many, calling me the resident journalist is dangerous ... heard this very recently ... will attempt to clear up ... Shanahan did make 1 visit here to talk to the team, so he must still like Brew some.

Thanks for the prompt follow-up...look forward to your posting here on what you learn that may be helpful in understanding what happened at Denver re Brew...if anything.

I think actions speak louder than words and none of these coaches thought enough of Brewster's abilities to promote him. I have had friends that I would serve as a reference for and like hanging out with but would never hire them to work for me. Shanahan can like Brewster as a guy to get a beer with but doesn't mean he thinks the guy can coach worth a darn.

You also have to remember that the Broncos were a team that was struggling under Shanahan at the time that Brewster was hired as HC form MN. When teams are struggling changes are made, i.e. coaches are replaced. Just because a coach is fired does not necessarily mean he is/was a bad coach. Let's face it, Shanahan was fired and I do not believe that anyone at GN would be upset if we hired him as HC. With that said, being fired can also mean you are a bad coach. I guess the point of this post is that you do not want to jump to the conclusion that because Brewster might have been on his way out in Denver does not mean he can not coach.

You also have to remember that the Broncos were a team that was struggling under Shanahan at the time that Brewster was hired as HC form MN. When teams are struggling changes are made, i.e. coaches are replaced. Just because a coach is fired does not necessarily mean he is/was a bad coach. Let's face it, Shanahan was fired and I do not believe that anyone at GN would be upset if we hired him as HC. With that said, being fired can also mean you are a bad coach. I guess the point of this post is that you do not want to jump to the conclusion that because Brewster might have been on his way out in Denver does not mean he can not coach.

First off in the case of Shanahan at the time he did not perceive himself to be under any heat as he had a great relationship and reported directly to the owner. He was floored when he was fired and he did not see it coming, whiich is why he was half way through building a 25 million dollar home in Denver. You don't build a home like that if you expect to be fired in a few months especially if you still want to coach which he said he did immediately. You can also look at the fact that Brewster in 17 years was never promoted to a coordinator position, that says volumes about what other coaches think of his coaching ability.

Talk about yellow journalism...Doogie, your credentials are looking poorer everyday. You think Souhan has some "deepthroat" that is going to understand the hiring of Brewster? C'mon. He was less expensive and could recruit which is what they needed. You guys make this sound like some kind of conspiracy plot. How about asking you for the same accountability as you ask of Brewster?

Поговорите о желтой публицистике… Doogie, ваши документы смотрите более плохое ежедневное. Вы думаете что Souhan имеет некоторое " глубокое throat" то идет понять нанимать Brewster? Придено дальше. Он был более менее дорогим и мог завербовать который что им было нужно. Вы ванты делаете этим для того чтобы звучать как некоторый вид графика конспирации. Как о просить вы такая же отчетность какую вы спрашиваете Brewster?

Maybe he fooled me ... he gave me 90-minutes of great stuff in his office in Feb. ... and I really thought he had that "it" factor ... still think he does in many regards ... but obviously the decision to switch Weber's throwing style was a mistake ... the hand signals also may be too much for 19-22 year olds ... he landed a grad. asst gig at Fla. by beating out over 100 other applicants ... landed on multiple NFL staffs before turning 30-years-old ... his credentials, at the age of 32, blew me away ... he just might be better suited to be somewhere in the NFL, and eventually land an NFL off. coord. job.

He was nothing more than a glorified student manager. He never even PLAYED high school football.

Weber

Doogie was also wowed by Weber early in the year....most "underappreciated athlete in the Twin Cities", I believe was the quote...the decision not to bench Weber is unfathomable to me....in any other city, he would have been replaced long ago...Minnesota nice I guess, or unbelievable stubbornness by Brewster...Any second thoughts, Doogie?

Talk about yellow journalism...Doogie, your credentials are looking poorer everyday. You think Souhan has some "deepthroat" that is going to understand the hiring of Brewster? C'mon. He was less expensive and could recruit which is what they needed. You guys make this sound like some kind of conspiracy plot. How about asking you for the same accountability as you ask of Brewster?

I don't know about doogie's aptitude in journalism, but from my knowledge we don't know who Brew was competing against so we can't say we'd be better with someone else, and the entire reason he was brought here was to recruit, EVERYONE knew that. Thats what he did at Texas and thats how he made a name for himself. We should all have known that he probably wasn't the greatest head football coach, but he could recruit som'em fierce. JM knew that, local media knew that, and we knew that. Get off his back and let him do what he does best, and lets hope that he is as good a coordinator recruiter as he is player recruiter.

Поговорите о желтой публицистике… Doogie, ваши документы смотрите более плохое ежедневное. Вы думаете что Souhan имеет некоторое " глубокое throat" то идет понять нанимать Brewster? Придено дальше. Он был более менее дорогим и мог завербовать который что им было нужно. Вы ванты делаете этим для того чтобы звучать как некоторый вид графика конспирации. Как о просить вы такая же отчетность какую вы спрашиваете Brewster?

Nice. You're on a roll today, bro. References to Byron and Swift, and now this? I was skeptical of you at first, but I'm officially a fan.

I don't anyone is pleased with how the team is playing and Brewster has shown some flashes that he gets it only to beset by mistakes that it appears he shouldn't be making again and again.

But Charlie Strong isn't a head coach anywhere and there were openings at D-1 schools since his interview with the Gophers when it was down to him and Brewster. Patterson was using us for leverage. I thought Hauck was the most interesting candidate, but I honestly don't know how he's doing right now either.

Seeing the recruiting season was over and our 2007 class wasn't adding up to much, I would have preferred that they waited awhile.

Top Bottom