Doogie says "five wins maximum" for Gophs in 2010

"This is a 3-5 win team."

Not until the season has been played out. That's the way it works, right?

Your statement is 100% correct. We will have to wait until the season is played out, since none of us can predict the future.

Should we not make predictions about Gopher football on a Gopher message board?

The Iowa game was never as close as it seemed. It was 12-0, but if they felt like it, it could have been 30-0. From the moment they got up more then 1 score, they went into prevent mode with thier back-up QB in the game. They knew the only way we would score is if they turned it over or did something stupid. So they took the air out of the ball on offense. If we'd actually managed to score a point, they'd likely have reinflated the ball on offense and scored some more. Penn State did the same thing to a lesser degree.

This is why I think many here over-rated our defense. Yes, it had its moments and was solid overall. But when your offense is as utterly wretched as ours was last year, teams aren't going to go all out against you and risk making mistakes. With all of the starters lost, this year's defense is unknown, but I pray it comes together or it could get ugly.

I forgot about the Iowa State game (does the Insight Bowl count as a real game?) I didn't forget about Wisconsin. That game to me doesn't fit any category. It would have been a blow-out save the fluke TD in the 4th quarter. Even if you cout those, they won close games against Syracuse, Air Force, MSU and SDSU and lost close games to Cal, Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa State. That's 4-4 in tight games. Hardly the 3-8 or so that the basketball team was this year.

So Iowa didn't feel like it, they just wanted to keep us in the game. Got it. And if we scored on that first and goal from the 2, then they would have just aired it out with a 5 point lead and scored easily? Hmm, generally that's when teams go into a shell, but I'm sure you are 100% right in seeing the future. I'd count a game against a BCS team in Iowa State, absolutely. That's great that Wisconsin doesn't fit into a category for you, but we had the ball down 3 with a minute to play. I don't give a flying f*** how we got there, there is all kinds of bounces in college football. Don't forget all of our big plays that we had called back by penalty. Still doesn't matter. Fact is when you have a the ball with a chance to tie or win the game, it's a close game. There is no arguing these points.

So Iowa didn't feel like it, they just wanted to keep us in the game. Got it. And if we scored on that first and goal from the 2, then they would have just aired it out with a 5 point lead and scored easily? Hmm, generally that's when teams go into a shell, but I'm sure you are 100% right in seeing the future. I'd count a game against a BCS team in Iowa State, absolutely. That's great that Wisconsin doesn't fit into a category for you, but we had the ball down 3 with a minute to play. I don't give a flying f*** how we got there, there is all kinds of bounces in college football. Don't forget all of our big plays that we had called back by penalty. Still doesn't matter. Fact is when you have a the ball with a chance to tie or win the game, it's a close game. There is no arguing these points.

Good lord, over-react much? Of course Iowa didn't intentionally keep it close. I'm simply saying that once they were up 2 scores, they decided to take zero chances on offense. They were going to run the ball and throw safe passes, because the only way they were going to lose was to give up a pick 6 or something similar. I'm sorry, but I don't see how any remotely objective fan can have actually watched that Iowa game and felt that we were ever really 'in it' after it was 12-0. I'm not saying the MN defense didn't play well that game, they did. But if Iowa really needed to score more then 12 points, they could have. Easily. Maybe 30 was an exaggeration though. Even if we'd scored to make it 12-7, do you have a great deal of confidence we'd have stopped them cold, taken the ball and marched right down for another score? We didn't score 2 offensive touchdowns in our last 3 games combined. Iowa had watched the PSU, OSU and SDSU film. They knew a 12-0 lead against us was the same as a 28-0 lead against anyone else, and they acted accordingly.

Yes, the Iowa State game was a real game, I was being sarcastic. As for the Wisconsin game, you're right, it really doesn't matter how we got there, it was a 3-point game at the end. But I've never seen a game where a team was so completely dominated and looked utterly defeated be picked up the way MN was by that return TD. It had all the makings of a blow-out up to that moment. And that was after a very well-played 1st half. In any case 4-4 in tight games, does not leave much room for people to whine about what might have been. The Gophers were 6-6 and that's the record they deserved.

Good lord, over-react much? Of course Iowa didn't intentionally keep it close. I'm simply saying that once they were up 2 scores, they decided to take zero chances on offense. They were going to run the ball and throw safe passes, because the only way they were going to lose was to give up a pick 6 or something similar. I'm sorry, but I don't see how any remotely objective fan can have actually watched that Iowa game and felt that we were ever really 'in it' after it was 12-0. I'm not saying the MN defense didn't play well that game, they did. But if Iowa really needed to score more then 12 points, they could have. Easily. Maybe 30 was an exaggeration though. Even if we'd scored to make it 12-7, do you have a great deal of confidence we'd have stopped them cold , taken the ball and marched right down for another score? We didn't score 2 offensive touchdowns in our last 3 games combined. Iowa had watched the PSU, OSU and SDSU film. They knew a 12-0 lead against us was the same as a 28-0 lead against anyone else, and they acted accordingly.

Yes, the Iowa State game was a real game, I was being sarcastic. As for the Wisconsin game, you're right, it really doesn't matter how we got there, it was a 3-point game at the end. But I've never seen a game where a team was so completely dominated and looked utterly defeated be picked up the way MN was by that return TD. It had all the makings of a blow-out up to that moment. And that was after a very well-played 1st half. In any case 4-4 in tight games, does not leave much room for people to whine about what might have been. The Gophers were 6-6 and that's the record they deserved.

I have a lot of confidence they would have gone 3 and out if we'd scored there. March right down and score? Less confidence, but it's possible. What about the game stats scream "not close, blowout?"
Team Totals MINN IOWA
FIRST DOWNS 13 12
Rushing 4 4
Passing 7 7
Penalty 2 1
NET YARDS RUSHING 48 54
Rushing Attempts 36 36
Average Per Rush 1.3 1.5
Rushing Touchdowns 0 1
Yards Gained Rushing 89 107
Yards Lost Rushing 41 53
NET YARDS PASSING 153 117
Completions-Attempts-Int 14-42-1 11-24-1
Average Per Attempt 3.6 4.9
Average Per Completion 10.9 10.6
Passing Touchdowns 0 0
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS 201 171
Total offense plays 78 60
Average Gain Per Play 2.6 2.8
Fumbles: Number-Lost 3-2 1-1
Penalties: Number-Yards 4-34 3-28
PUNTS-YARDS 8-310 9-339
Average Yards Per Punt 38.8 37.7
Net Yards Per Punt 32.4 33.4
Inside 20 0 1
50+ Yards 1 1
Touchbacks 2 0
Fair catch 1 5
KICKOFFS-YARDS 1-70 4-234
Average Yards Per Kickoff 70.0 58.5
Net Yards Per Kickoff 50.0 41.8
Touchbacks 1 1
Punt returns: Number-Yards-TD 3-38-0 3-11-0
Average Per Return 12.7 3.7
Kickoff returns: Number-Yds-TD 3-47-0 0-0-0
Average Per Return 15.7 0.0
Interceptions: Number-Yds-TD 1-0-0 1-14-0
Fumble Returns: Number-Yds-TD 0-0-0 0-0-0
Miscellaneous Yards 0 0
Possession Time 31:37 28:23
1st Quarter 6:39 8:21
2nd Quarter 6:16 8:44
3rd Quarter 9:46 5:14
4th Quarter 8:56 6:04
Third-Down Conversions 4 of 20 1 of 13
Fourth-Down Conversions 2 of 6 0 of 0
Red-Zone Scores-Chances 0-2 2-2
Sacks By: Number-Yards 4-39 5-28
PAT Kicks 0-0 0-1
Field Goals 0-0 2-2

I have a lot of confidence they would have gone 3 and out if we'd scored there. March right down and score? Less confidence, but it's possible. What about the game stats scream "not close, blowout?"

Let me put it this way: Assume we would have scored (big assumption), who would you have bet on scoring first? The Gophers, who had 2 TD's in 3 games? Or Iowa? Maybe it's just me, but I would have bet BIG money on Iowa. Sure we could have gotten lucky, but 'getting lucky' is the sign of a BAD TEAM. Not a good one.

If we had happened to win that game it would have either been because 1) we got lucky, or 2) we suddenly broke out of a season long trend of being unable to score.

Meanwhile, we would have had to hold a team that scored regularly.

It don't matter that your defense does a merely 'good job' if you DON'T SCORE. If you score ZERO TOUCHDOWNS, as the Gophers did regularly, YOU SUCK. Get it?

Let me put it this way: Assume we would have scored (big assumption), who would you have bet on scoring first? The Gophers, who had 2 TD's in 3 games? Or Iowa? Maybe it's just me, but I would have bet BIG money on Iowa. Sure we could have gotten lucky, but 'getting lucky' is the sign of a BAD TEAM. Not a good one.

If we had happened to win that game it would have either been because 1) we got lucky, or 2) we suddenly broke out of a season long trend of being unable to score.

Meanwhile, we would have had to hold a team that scored regularly.

It don't matter that your defense does a merely 'good job' if you DON'T SCORE. If you score ZERO TOUCHDOWNS, as the Gophers did regularly, YOU SUCK. Get it?

Well, that bad team went on the road to a BCS bowl game winner in Iowa, and statistically beat them. If you bothered to read my above post you would see that . We had more first downs and more total yards. Were it not for some bad turnovers, that would have been a one possession game. Now, again, assuming you could read, I said that I would bet a lot of money that Iowa would have gone 3 and out if we had scored. I never said we would score. I just said it becomes a close game if we are down 5, with momentum, and have the ball with 3-4 minutes to play.

You have some good points there and I understand that it can be difficult with limited access. Still I think that having a media pass and writing in the local paper and being on the radio absolutely does mean you're held to a higher standard than your average internet fan. There's no reason that MV, who has a day job and absolutely no access to the team, should put out stuff that is 5 times more interesting, in depth and insightful than you or your fellow media members. Why not a position by position break down throughout the spring? Why not do some individual player profiles outside of the 3-4 guys the paper always talks about? Why not some thoughtful, in depth analysis of the team that doesn't include shots at the staff or players? Why not compare the talent on this team to that of years past or even to other B10 teams this year? How about talk to former players or people with access to practices and get their thoughts (nothing the coaches wouldn't want to get out but just general thoughts). I think there's a ton of stuff that could be done other than making controversial season predictions.

Fair questions, but much better for the beat guys ... I work 50+ hours a week for Hubbard covering everything ... the Strib blog is a side deal that I mix in when time allows ... my personal life interferes a bit too ... MV is putting out solid stuff ... I hope he's able to have some semblance of a personal life, but for the time being, he's a must-read. The Gophers are a passion, but the audience interest, especially this time of the year, isn't there ... of the 4 TV stations, I've made sure that we've done the most with the football team, but it still has been limited.

Will add this: I do a news and notes package for Ch. 5 once a week ... I have had notes about Horton (everyone loves him) & Da'Jon McKnight (had one outside coach who went to one practice and talked to coaches that said that he is having a solid spring) ... and will do another package of stuff early next week with notes on Hammock (still need to get video of him though, so may need to save), Wilhite, and Ed Olson.

Your statement is 100% correct. We will have to wait until the season is played out, since none of us can predict the future.

Should we not make predictions about Gopher football on a Gopher message board?

After browsing around for the last half-hour, reading all the available nonsense tells me you can do whatever you want on a Gopher message board. Doesn't mean we all have to swallow it without gagging.

Fair questions, but much better for the beat guys ... I work 50+ hours a week for Hubbard covering everything ... the Strib blog is a side deal that I mix in when time allows ... my personal life interferes a bit too ... MV is putting out solid stuff ... I hope he's able to have some semblance of a personal life, but for the time being, he's a must-read. The Gophers are a passion, but the audience interest, especially this time of the year, isn't there ... of the 4 TV stations, I've made sure that we've done the most with the football team, but it still has been limited.

That makes sense. I guess I'm coming from a fan perspective in that I want more coverage of the team while the general MN public (that sucks) doesn't really care. I get that for you time is an issue but I still fail to see what the issue is for Youngblood and crew. They need to step their game up. I honestly believe the lack of fan interest comes from lack of media coverage, not the other way around. The MN public is just used to the U being ignored and those that are from MN simply don't know any better. I'd be willing to bet that if next Spring the Strib decided to cover spring ball well, they'd get positive results. Of course I doubt they have the nuts to do that

Well, that bad team went on the road to a BCS bowl game winner in Iowa, and statistically beat them. If you bothered to read my above post you would see that . We had more first downs and more total yards. Were it not for some bad turnovers, that would have been a one possession game. Now, again, assuming you could read, I said that I would bet a lot of money that Iowa would have gone 3 and out if we had scored. I never said we would score. I just said it becomes a close game if we are down 5, with momentum, and have the ball with 3-4 minutes to play.

"statistically beat them" ....and lost. Without scoring a point.

I admit that I don't have the statistics in front of me, but I would be willing to bet big money that teams win very few of the games in which they score ZERO points. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"statistically beat them" ....and lost. Without scoring a point.

I admit that I don't have the statistics in front of me, but I would be willing to bet big money that teams win very few of the games in which they score ZERO points. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Look genius, you're trying to frame that game as a blowout and you're wrong. I know we didn't score a point. But we outgained them, had longer TOP, and unfortunately had costly turnovers. Game was not a blowout, we played them tough.

Look genius, you're trying to frame that game as a blowout and you're wrong. I know we didn't score a point. But we outgained them, had longer TOP, and unfortunately had costly turnovers. Game was not a blowout, we played them tough.

Please point out where I "frame it as a blowout"? I'm trying to frame it as it actually was. A typical Gophers game of 2009 in which the defense did well, but the offense basically gave us no chance to win. The fact of the matter is that for a team that goes quarter after quarter after quarter (...after quarter after quarter) without an offensive touchdown, a 3-0 deficit can be overwhelming. Get it? The Gophers had an atrocious offense last year. If only half your team shows up you ain't gonna win many games. You can argue that all you want, but it's true.

By the way, thanks for the genius shout out. While I can understand that from your point of view I probably appear to be a genius, I'm actually merely 'smart'.

One more thing, maybe YOU should read the stats you keep pumping so much. Yes, the Gophers outgained Iowa. With a whopping 201 yards. This backs up MY case, not yours. Our defense did a good job. The offense a miserable job. You make it sound like the Gophers marched up and down the field and just didn't capitalize on opportunities. Fact is, turnovers count, and 201 yards is a miserable performance. Hence the zero points. Starting to understand yet?

Top Bottom